Search

Cars at YVR

Search this Thread

Old Dec 20, 2009, 6:28 am

RXAR is the following:

Veh Cat Description
RXAR STANDARD ELITE AUTO AIR
Old Dec 20, 2009, 11:42 am

Programs: AC 75K, BA Gold, Marriott Platinum, National EE, Sixt Platinum, Hertz PC, AVIS PC
Originally Posted by JasYHZ
RXAR is the following:

Veh Cat Description
RXAR STANDARD ELITE AUTO AIR
That's different. Is this a new category? How does it compare to Premium/Luxury?

Ron.
Old Dec 20, 2009, 7:45 pm

Basically a non-reservable specialty vehicle. Like you can reserve an LCAR (DTS or Town Car) but cannot reserve a LXAR (300C or the like).

JasYHZ
Old Dec 20, 2009, 9:24 pm

Programs: AC 75K, BA Gold, Marriott Platinum, National EE, Sixt Platinum, Hertz PC, AVIS PC
Originally Posted by JasYHZ
Basically a non-reservable specialty vehicle. Like you can reserve an LCAR (DTS or Town Car) but cannot reserve a LXAR (300C or the like).

JasYHZ

So a Volvo C30 or S40 falls into this class? Interesting. National YVR had Premium / Luxury spaces filled with these Friday evening.

Ron.
Old Jan 24, 2010, 1:36 am
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroplan, Priority Club, National Exec Elite, Hertz #1 Gold, Avis First, Thrifty Bluechip
Saturday around 11:30 AM

Apparantly YVR is now an Emerald Aisle/Executive Selection location. As you leave the Rental Car Centre, the right hand side is EA, and the left is ES. There are also a few ER stalls on the left side of various categories. Economy and Compact rentals are, I guess, now handled by the counter.

EA
Hyundai Accent
Tons of 4-cyl Dodge Avengers
Few Nissan Sentras
Two Toyota Corollas with roll-up windows
Hyundai Sonata

ES
More 4-cyl Avengers
Nissan Altima
Couple of Dodge Grand Caravans
Chrysler PT Cruiser

SUV
Hyundai Santa Fe
Bunch of Jeep Commanders

Fullsize SUV
More Jeep Commanders

Luxury (at the far end of left side)
Volvo C30 with the keys locked in it
2007 Volvo S40 in "power-save mode" due to low battery

There's also a bunch of regular numbered National stalls to the left of the EA/ES (towards Alamo). They had an assortment of vehicles, many of them US-plated. I noticed a couple of Focuses, a Rondo, and nothing else to write home about. I'll post more about my YVR experience in a separate thread when I have the energy tomorrow.

Last edited by Tuneman1984; Jan 31, 2010 at 10:23 am
Old Jan 24, 2010, 12:26 pm

How can a compact Volvo be a luxury car? Does that make the S60/80 super-luxury Maybach style cars?

This seems to be only in Canadian locations though, or just YVR?
Old Jan 24, 2010, 12:52 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroplan, Priority Club, National Exec Elite, Hertz #1 Gold, Avis First, Thrifty Bluechip
Originally Posted by drzoidberg
How can a compact Volvo be a luxury car? Does that make the S60/80 super-luxury Maybach style cars?

This seems to be only in Canadian locations though, or just YVR?
Don't forget we're also the land of base model cloth 300s as luxury cars. I've never seen a G8 up here and it's been ages since I've seen even a DTS, let alone the CTS or STS.
Old Jan 31, 2010, 10:34 am
Original Poster

Saturday around 11:30 AM

I was actually booked with Alamo to keep it cheap, but I thought I'd peruse the Aisle to see if there was anything interesting. Note that I've updated the first post to reflect the new aisle layout.

Emerald Aisle
All Dodge Avengers

Executive Selection
Few more Dodge Avengers
2 Nissan Altimas (brand new 2010s)
Volvo S40
Volco C30

Midsize
2 Nissan Sentras (also brand new 2010s)
Couple of Mitsubishi Lancers (may have been one on EA too)
Dodge Avengers

Fullsize
Dodge Avengers
May have been something else but I forget now... (probably Sonata or Altima)

SUV
Jeep Commanders

Fullsize SUV
Jeep Commanders

Luxury
3 Volvo S40 (the one I peeked into had only 132 km on it)

I looked at Alamo's row and spotted the Suzuki SX4 I was likely to get for my Compact booking. I cancelled at the Alamo desk and snagged the C30 off the Aisle. Let this mark the first time in history that, at a Canadian location, I selected an upgraded car from the correct area, and was ACTUALLY allowed to rent it! :-::-::-:
Old Jan 31, 2010, 11:02 am

Originally Posted by Tuneman1984
I was actually booked with Alamo to keep it cheap, but I thought I'd peruse the Aisle to see if there was anything interesting. Note that I've updated the first post to reflect the new aisle layout.

Emerald Aisle
All Dodge Avengers

Executive Selection
Few more Dodge Avengers
2 Nissan Altimas (brand new 2010s)
Volvo S40
Volco C30

Midsize
2 Nissan Sentras (also brand new 2010s)
Couple of Mitsubishi Lancers (may have been one on EA too)
Dodge Avengers

Fullsize
Dodge Avengers
May have been something else but I forget now... (probably Sonata or Altima)

SUV
Jeep Commanders

Fullsize SUV
Jeep Commanders

Luxury
3 Volvo S40 (the one I peeked into had only 132 km on it)

I looked at Alamo's row and spotted the Suzuki SX4 I was likely to get for my Compact booking. I cancelled at the Alamo desk and snagged the C30 off the Aisle. Let this mark the first time in history that, at a Canadian location, I selected an upgraded car from the correct area, and was ACTUALLY allowed to rent it! :-::-::-:

Was about the same when I picked up @ 4pm. I took an S40 with leather and 104km from the ES.

Ron.
Old Jan 31, 2010, 1:53 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by newfbc
Was about the same when I picked up @ 4pm. I took an S40 with leather and 104km from the ES.

Ron.
Did the Sirius radio work on yours? Mine didn't but I had my own receiver anyways.
Old Jan 31, 2010, 3:10 pm

Did the Sirius radio work on yours? Mine didn't but I had my own receiver anyways.
This is the 4th Volvo I've had.. the Sirius hasn't been activated in any of them.

Ron.
Old Jan 31, 2010, 3:36 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by newfbc
This is the 4th Volvo I've had.. the Sirius hasn't been activated in any of them.

Ron.
Bizarre. I guess it's not like Ford where it's just ready to go off the lot. I was tempted to phone in to Sirius posing as a Volvo buyer.
Old Jan 31, 2010, 6:05 pm
Moderator: GLBT Travelers & Hyatt Gold Passport

Bizarre. I guess it's not like Ford where it's just ready to go off the lot. I was tempted to phone in to Sirius posing as a Volvo buyer.
The brand new Dodge Charger (6 miles) that I got from FLL MLK wknd didn't have satellite activated either.
Old Jan 31, 2010, 6:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
Don't forget we're also the land of base model cloth 300s as luxury cars. I've never seen a G8 up here .
I don't think GM ever sold the Pontiac GTO and G8 in Canada?
Old Jan 31, 2010, 7:06 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by YVR Cockroach
I don't think GM ever sold the Pontiac GTO and G8 in Canada?
The GTO never was but the G8 was sold while Pontiac was still around. I rented a G8 GT last summer from Avis in YYZ, and YYJ had a bunch of the V6 models as Fullsize cars; not sure how many remain.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.