Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > National | Emerald Club
Reload this Page >

Pay per mile or unlimited miles if plan on u/g to Premier

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 19, 2017, 12:32 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold, GlobalEntry, Admirals Club, United Club

I'm booking an LCAR and plan on upgrading to a premier selection car if one is available. Pickup at SAN, dropoff two days later at LAX.

There are two allowable rates - ~$225 for unlimited miles, ~$125 for 0 miles +0.27/mi (totals including all taxes).

My conservative estimate is that the total cost of both will be about $225, but the $125 option may end up a bit cheaper-I'd be surprised if I break 300 miles.

If available I'd like to upgrade to a premier selection vehicle (I really want to try out a Tesla or Maserati especially for the long drive up). If I book the 0 miles option and upgrade to premier, will it also come with 0 miles or will it switch to unlimited? If 0, will the cost/mile remain the same?

Finally, if I have 1 free Exec Elite day, what happens if I use that on the LCAR in the following 3 scenarios? (0 miles no premier, 0 miles premier, unlimited miles premier)
Old Jun 20, 2017, 7:02 am

Originally Posted by jetsfan92588
I'm booking an LCAR and plan on upgrading to a premier selection car if one is available. Pickup at SAN, dropoff two days later at LAX.

There are two allowable rates - ~$225 for unlimited miles, ~$125 for 0 miles +0.27/mi (totals including all taxes).

My conservative estimate is that the total cost of both will be about $225, but the $125 option may end up a bit cheaper-I'd be surprised if I break 300 miles.

If available I'd like to upgrade to a premier selection vehicle (I really want to try out a Tesla or Maserati especially for the long drive up). If I book the 0 miles option and upgrade to premier, will it also come with 0 miles or will it switch to unlimited? If 0, will the cost/mile remain the same?

Finally, if I have 1 free Exec Elite day, what happens if I use that on the LCAR in the following 3 scenarios? (0 miles no premier, 0 miles premier, unlimited miles premier)
Most of the time, premier selection is a fixed per day fee on top of whatever you're already paying. Make a second reservation for the cheapest class available and cancel the LCAR reservation if there's something in the premium selection you end up liking. The other issue you may run into is that most locations won't allow a premier selection vehicle to go on a one-way or will charge a higher per day fee for it. In that case, keep the LCAR reservation, because that's probably the best you can do.

You're going to have to ask about the mileage before you leave, if they even allow you to one-way a premier selection vehicle.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.