Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Fueling with Premium Unleaded

Search this Thread

Old Mar 21, 2017, 1:11 pm
Original Poster

Fueling with Premium Unleaded

We recently took a QX50 off the Executive Aisle. When refueling before returning to the airport I was faced with a choice.
The gas door stated to use only premium unleaded.
I'm curious how many people actually fuel with premium unleaded when renting a luxury car requiring it?

PS. I ended up fueling with premium and probably wasted $12 doing so.
As my wife pointed out, if you were to return it to National empty, do you think they are going to put premium in it for the next customer?
Old Mar 21, 2017, 1:37 pm

Programs: DL PM 0.5MM, Hyatt Globalist, HHonors Gold, SPG Plat, Marriott Gold, Avis PC, National EE, Hertz PC
When premium is required, I fill it. In some cars, from what I understand, filling a lower grade can cause poor fuel economy and engine knocking.
Old Mar 21, 2017, 2:17 pm

I would bet a lot of people don't put in premium but I could be wrong. I personally put in premium fuel if it is required.
Old Mar 21, 2017, 2:38 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, Jetblue Mosaic, Alaska MVP Gold, National Executive Elite
I assume the person who rented before me filled it with regular so I also fill it with regular
Old Mar 21, 2017, 4:32 pm

Programs: QF Gold, WY Gold
I would also be one of those people who would refill it with regular, I'm sure someone will prove me wrong, but I cannot see the cheapest fuel making a significant difference to a rental car.
But then I do the same with own Mercedes, it's just a material possession to transport me from A to B ultimately and it continues to run well on whatever fuel I put in it.
Old Mar 21, 2017, 4:40 pm
Company Representative - AutoSlash and HotelSlash

FWIW, Edmunds has the QX50 on the premium fuel "recommended" as opposed to "required" list. YMMY (literally).
Old Mar 21, 2017, 5:35 pm

Originally Posted by Yachtman
I would also be one of those people who would refill it with regular, I'm sure someone will prove me wrong, but I cannot see the cheapest fuel making a significant difference to a rental car.
But then I do the same with own Mercedes, it's just a material possession to transport me from A to B ultimately and it continues to run well on whatever fuel I put in it.

Modern cars is stupid proofed where it will fix the timing so it won't pre detonate the gas. It will probably damage the cars engine over time though. If you wouldn't treat your own car that way why treat somebody else's car like that. At the end of the day 93 is only like $0.30 more tops and perhaps less so I don't mind
Old Mar 21, 2017, 6:21 pm

Exactly ^^. The car is going to compensate and you'll lose a few HP. I always put premium in my personal cars because it is required. I do put it in the rentals as well when they need it.
Old Mar 21, 2017, 8:14 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 2MM; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond; Hyatt Explorist; Vistana 5* Elite; Nat'l Exec Elite
Originally Posted by Closingracer
At the end of the day 93 is only like $0.30 more tops and perhaps less so I don't mind
Good deal. In my hometown premium is $0.50 more than regular.
Old Mar 21, 2017, 8:21 pm

Originally Posted by MissJ
Exactly ^^. The car is going to compensate and you'll lose a few HP. I always put premium in my personal cars because it is required. I do put it in the rentals as well when they need it.

And this is why I hate to work in certain industry's. You should always treat other people's property like you would your own. Yes the computer in the car will compensate for the retard timing but it will ruin the car eventually. I will put premium gas in cars that require it and sometimes if it's suggested to. I'm not going to complain about 20¢ a gallon....
Old Mar 21, 2017, 9:26 pm

We had something not too long ago that asked for premium... I think it was the Volvo S60. I fed it properly, but then someone dinged it in a parking lot. Oh well, a few dollars on gas isn't a big deal... wasn't a fan of that insurance claim, though.
Old Mar 22, 2017, 12:05 am

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
I never put more than the cheapest regular I can find into a rental car.
Old Mar 22, 2017, 5:07 am

Originally Posted by Gig103
I never put more than the cheapest regular I can find into a rental car.

And this is probably why people can never have good things
Old Mar 22, 2017, 5:09 pm

The last guy probably put regular in it. So that's what I would do. The car isn't going to break down or start knocking because of it.
Old Mar 22, 2017, 5:22 pm

Originally Posted by canyoncar
The last guy probably put regular in it. So that's what I would do. The car isn't going to break down or start knocking because of it.
This ^.... in older cars there might be issues but the ECU on any modern car will retard the spark timing to avoid knocking. Also I know for a fact that some dealerships will only put in regular (the free tank when buying the car), no matter what's listed on the gas door.

personally if I get a premium rental with a decent engine I'll put in what's recommended to enjoy the performance of the car but when returning it I'm only putting in 87.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.