Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > National | Emerald Club
Reload this Page >

Renting under my contract with another driver picking up

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 13, 2017, 8:43 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVP Gold, Marriott Lifetime Gold, National Executive Elite

My employer has a contract employees can use for personal use rentals at National. I'm able to add additional drivers to the reservation for free as well. Can one of my additional drivers pick up the car without me being present? I will be meeting my family at the destination a few days later.
Old Feb 13, 2017, 9:00 pm

Programs: AS 75K & BR Member- HHonors Diamond - Hertz PC - Marriott Titanium - IHG Ambassador
Great question, but my money is on NO. Being an additional driver is different than being the one to Pick the car up at the facility. If this is possible than nobody is paying attention.
Old Feb 13, 2017, 9:20 pm
Company Representative - AutoSlash and HotelSlash

Originally Posted by mroseman13
My employer has a contract employees can use for personal use rentals at National. I'm able to add additional drivers to the reservation for free as well. Can one of my additional drivers pick up the car without me being present? I will be meeting my family at the destination a few days later.
The person can pick up the car if you put it in their name and then they add you as an additional driver. That is the only way to do it, and you both will need to return to the rental counter in order to have you added to the contract as an additional driver.
Old Feb 14, 2017, 9:34 am
Moderator: National Car

Programs: Delta PM, National EE, Hertz PC, Hilton DM
AutoSlash is correct; there is no way to do this as you've described.
Old Feb 14, 2017, 11:09 am

Programs: AA EP, UA Gold-MM, UA 1K (former), GS (former),SPG LT Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by AutoSlash
The person can pick up the car if you put it in their name and then they add you as an additional driver. That is the only way to do it, and you both will need to return to the rental counter in order to have you added to the contract as an additional driver.
Agree with this 100%. I had an additional driver on my account and they took it off at the checkout because he wasn't present. They want to see the other person and their ID (even if there is no charge).

You will need to go to a National location (don't think it has to be the one you originally rented from) to add an additional driver.
Old Feb 14, 2017, 11:40 am
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVP Gold, Marriott Lifetime Gold, National Executive Elite
Thanks for all the quick responses. I called National and confirmed that my situation isn't possible. The primary renter needs to be present at pickup, regardless of who is listed as an additional driver - so I can't have someone else pick up the car for me. The primary renter's name also has to match the National account and credit card - so we can't benefit from my executive elite status.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.