Wiki Posts
Search

"Authorized Drivers"

Search this Thread

Old May 24, 2016, 7:35 am
Original Poster

"Authorized Drivers"

Hey,
What's everyone's take on the "authorized" driver from the rental agency.
Our company contract has 9 free "authorized" drivers, so it's not a cost thing. This issue is dragging everyone to the rental counter to sign paperwork (this is a personal trip, not work trip, so not landing together).

From the Visa side (CDW coverage):
http://www.visa.ca/en/personal/trave...r_overview.jsp
It shows everyone I allow to drive being covered.

Since liability is on the personal driver's insurance policy, am I missing anything if we just share the driving?
Old May 24, 2016, 10:20 am

Programs: EC Exec
There are a few potential answers to your question... From a straight retail rental point of view, all drivers of the vehicle need to be "qualified" by the agency (i.e.; check DL, etc...). From your business rental perspective, an "authorized" driver may constitute any party who is operating the vehicle on behalf of the business... I still believe that the users need to be qualified by the agency. And as for the coverage, if an un-authorized driver operates the vehicle you could be out of contract compliance. This potentially voids any coverage you think you have...

Just food for thought as YMMV...
Old May 24, 2016, 12:46 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, Jetblue Mosaic, Alaska MVP Gold, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by Chingyul
Hey,
What's everyone's take on the "authorized" driver from the rental agency.
Our company contract has 9 free "authorized" drivers, so it's not a cost thing. This issue is dragging everyone to the rental counter to sign paperwork (this is a personal trip, not work trip, so not landing together).

From the Visa side (CDW coverage):
http://www.visa.ca/en/personal/trave...r_overview.jsp
It shows everyone I allow to drive being covered.

Since liability is on the personal driver's insurance policy, am I missing anything if we just share the driving?
Why not just add everybody at time of online booking? All the times I've done this, I have not had to sign any additional paperwork for the extra drivers when picking up the car.
Old May 29, 2016, 9:22 pm

Programs: UA GS, BA Gold, Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, IHG Gold, National Exec Elite, Hertz PC
Our corporate rate also get 9 authorised drivers. In addition, any employee may drive the car, without explicitly adding them as an additional driver.

I still add additional drivers online, just to be sure and have their name on the contract.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.