Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Why can't you rent a Honda/Acura?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 29, 2015, 10:08 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM, UA Gold, Marriott Plat Prem., Hilton Gold, National Exec Elite.
Why can't you rent a Honda/Acura?

I've always wondered why no large car rental agency has Honda/Acura cars??? Surprisingly the poster in this thread implies that you can rent an Accord (I assume Honda??) - http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/natio...de-report.html

But I've never, ever, seen any Honda vehicles - why?
Old Sep 29, 2015, 10:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Honda corporate doesn't pursue sales to daily rental car agencies. Roughly 20-25% of GM/Ford/FiatChrysler get sold into such channels. The very few Hondas that are found with Enterprise/National/Alamo have been purchased from dealers. Honda has argued that focus on retail sales improves resale value.
Old Sep 29, 2015, 11:08 am

Programs: DL Silver, AS MVP, UA Silver, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Plat, SPG Plat, National Exec Elite
I see the Acura RDX somewhat regularly and even got one on a PCAR res at SEA a few months bag. They're not common, but they are kicking around. Preferred sales channels are the main reason, as outlined by 3Cforme.
Old Sep 29, 2015, 12:30 pm

Programs: Marriott LTG, HHonors Diamond, Nat'l Exec
The only place I've ever gotten a Honda (and not from National) was in Columbus. I was surprised, but then drove past their Marysville plant on the way to my client.
Old Sep 29, 2015, 12:39 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum, Delta Million Miler,Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, Delta Sky Club
A few years back I had a Honda Accord from the MSP Hertz
Old Sep 29, 2015, 1:15 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium, AC E50, National Exec
They're not very common but generally they turn out to be pretty underwhelming as they frequently are low trims and classified pretty high (i.e. PCAR).

Here's one from 2013:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/natio...de-report.html
Old Sep 29, 2015, 7:50 pm

A few years ago my brother got a Honda Civic from Hertz at Union Station in DC.

Also, Zipcar seems to have a lot of Honda Fits in bright yellow lately.
Old Sep 30, 2015, 2:41 am

Programs: National Exec, HA Pualani Gold
In addition to the Accord (that's my ride report from 2013) I've also seen a 2014 CR-V LX (IRAR) in the Exec Selection at HNL.

It was definitely a dealer-sourced vehicle, as the Hawaii safety inspection sticker that's normally slapped on the rear bumper (lowest amount of effort) was mounted on a metal plate and affixed to the underside of the bumper (something one of the local Honda dealers does). I almost took the CR-V, but asked for another vehicle after finding a very large scrape on the passenger side door.

A couple years ago, I also saw an Acura TSX with a EAN barcode sticker driving around Honolulu, but have not seen one recently.
Old Oct 1, 2015, 7:25 pm

It is only of recent memory you've gotten anything besides American brand vehicles from National. No Toyota, Nissan, Audi, etc...

Could be wrong but when the Big Three went though their major financial upheavals several years ago including bankruptcy National like other car rental places had to expand their fleet sources.

As one who rented during those times am here to tell you pickings were *slim*. Between recalls and nothing new coming in you were lucky to get anything. Usually the only thing National had was SUVs and minivans with some larger full sized cars. No matter what you reserved those were the choices.
Old Jan 1, 2016, 11:44 pm
Suspended

The policy of Honda company does not prohibit sales to rental companies. But it prohibits discounted sales to anyone. So there is little incentive for the rental companies to purchase cars from Honda.
Old Jan 2, 2016, 8:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by elisagrace
The policy of Honda company does not prohibit sales to rental companies. But it prohibits discounted sales to anyone. So there is little incentive for the rental companies to purchase cars from Honda.
Manufacturers can't dictate retail prices. That would be a violation of federal anti-trust law. Dealers are broadly controlled under state franchise law. They can price and sell as they wish, with some geographic restraints that aren't well defined.
Old Jan 2, 2016, 8:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by BugsyPal
It is only of recent memory you've gotten anything besides American brand vehicles from National. No Toyota, Nissan, Audi, etc...

Could be wrong but when the Big Three went though their major financial upheavals several years ago including bankruptcy National like other car rental places had to expand their fleet sources.
The Toyota Camry has been a staple of Hertz fleets from the mid-80s. National has bought many, many Nissan Altimas in the last two decades.

What pricipally changed was ownership of the rental car companies (GM/Avis, Ford/Hertz, Chrsyler/Thrifty) and the practice of dumping manufacturer excess production into daily rental fleets, buying them back at guaranteed prices, the so-called 'program cars.' The rental companies now buy outright most of the vehicles in their U.S. fleets and are responsible for remarketing.
Old Jan 6, 2016, 8:24 pm

Programs: UA GS, BA Gold, Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, IHG Gold, National Exec Elite, Hertz PC
I decided to switched from Hertz to National, following a nice Honda rental.

In SEA, Hertz could only give me a Jeep Compass as a midsize SUV. Not quite the "Honda Rav4 or similar" I had reserved and was hoping for. I cancelled the reservation and walked over to National, which had several Rav4s in the EA. I got a brand new 4wd with XM radio.

Another time, I had a Rav4 with National in Denver.
Old Jan 7, 2016, 5:26 am

The Rav4 is a Toyota. The equivalent Honda product would be the CRV.
Old Jan 7, 2016, 10:20 am

Programs: Chase Sapphire Reserve, WFBF
Originally Posted by elisagrace
It is possible for just about anyone to buy a new Honda at the invoice price (+/-), and needless to say, far below MSRP.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.