Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Rental contract not yet closed - help

Search this Thread

Old Apr 26, 2015, 5:26 am
Original Poster

Rental contract not yet closed - help

The car was returned 4/24 around 3 PM at the Newark Liberty International airport location but the contract has not yet been closed. I have contacted the customer service line many times and they have sent a note to the location but the location has not closed the contract.

A case was created by the customer service help line. The location does not seem to have any way of being contacted directly.

Advice appreciated
Old Apr 26, 2015, 5:48 am
Moderator: National Car

Programs: Delta PM, National EE, Hertz PC, Hilton DM
Did you not get a receipt at drop off? Or, rather, what was drop off procedure? This is a large location open 24 hours, so it's not like you left it overnight to be checked in in the morning.
Old Apr 26, 2015, 5:55 am
Original Poster

Directed to leave keys in vehicle - very busy return period. No receipt at that time, but typically they send it in 15 minutes or so.
Old Apr 26, 2015, 6:03 am
Moderator: National Car

Programs: Delta PM, National EE, Hertz PC, Hilton DM
Did you not wait to be checked in? Who directed you to do that?

I'm sure it's not an issue as sometimes there are delays. But for this reason I tend to usually leave a few extra minutes for check in at the rental return if at all possible.
Old Apr 26, 2015, 6:41 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Water under the bridge for this OP, but do not do this. Ever. Allow enough time to wait for a receipt.

OTOH, stop calling. All you need is a record. So, first thing you do when you don't get a receipt is to shoot an email/web form (w. screen shot) off to customer service. If by some bizarre chance, the car has been stolen or re-rented and it's still under your contract, you have documented the return (also done by cameras held by the facility).
Old Apr 26, 2015, 6:57 am
Original Poster

Finally had it closed by an escalation through a supervisor who called the front desk of EWR. They had checked the car in, just not closed the contract.

Taxes @ EWR!!
Old May 20, 2015, 11:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
I'm experiencing this at ATL right now.

Computers were down when I checked out, so they did things manually/slowly as things were coming back online. Did a drop-and-go on return (which I do frequently with no issues), and never got the email receipt.

Calling 800 number, they can tell that the car was returned, but contract was never closed out. Calling ATL directly, they say they'll close the contract right away, but it never happens.

No charge to my CC and no receipt, 4 days later. I'm picking up again tonight and can try to address it then, but I'll be kind of in a rush and it'll also be late at night.

Any thoughts on how to resolve this before I show up tonight? I only have so many more meeting breaks that I can spend calling the ATL desk over and over...
Old May 21, 2015, 7:20 am

Programs: Hilton Honors Lifetime Diamond; National Car Rental Executive Elite
Returned a car to PNS (non-aisle, no lot attendant, must return keys to desk inside) a little while back.

I returned it with less than 30 minutes to spare. I got in line at the desk (no Emerald/Executive priority line) and it took about 20 minutes to make it to the desk.

I said I was returning the vehicle and handed in the keys. She said "Thanks! Next customer!"

I said "Can you close out the contract right now? I'd like to make sure its done promptly."

She said "I'll do it later. I need to service the other customers in line."

I said "Ma'am, it's quite close to the return deadline. It takes 30 seconds to close out a contract. I need to have the printed receipt in-hand."

She gave me a giant "eat s**t" look and sighed loudly. She looked down at her computer, made two clicks and printed my receipt.

I've learned my lesson in the past. Don't ever leave without a receipt in-hand or in your inbox.
Old May 21, 2015, 8:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Update:
Picked up another rental in ATL last night, went and waited at the desk for 15 minutes for an agent. She was able to find the RA, see that the car had been returned, and that the contract was still open, but she was unable to close it.

Went to the back office to get a manager. Manager could not close it either.

They told me to call corporate. I told them that I already had and corporate said to work with the location. Asked for at least a printout showing that the car had been returned (and when). They said they couldn't print anything as the contract was still open. Then they said that maybe the booth could print something out.

Went to get my car. Premium SUV reservation - only option was a 26k mile Expedition with smelly cloth seats. Was offered a Q60 with 15k miles for "only" $25/day more as it was a luxury car. I asked if I could just change my reservation to Luxury (I was using free days) - attendant said LCARs cannot be reserved, only upgraded into. I stopped short of telling her to go look at the LCAR reservation I have for next weekend.

In the end, I drove off with a newish Mustang from ES and the contract from the other rental still open, still with no receipt.

This almost makes me want to go back to Hertz...
Old May 24, 2015, 10:31 am

Programs: Marriott LTG, HHonors Diamond, Nat'l Exec
Originally Posted by gooselee
Went to get my car. Premium SUV reservation - only option was a 26k mile Expedition with smelly cloth seats. Was offered a Q60 with 15k miles for "only" $25/day more as it was a luxury car. I asked if I could just change my reservation to Luxury (I was using free days) - attendant said LCARs cannot be reserved, only upgraded into. I stopped short of telling her to go look at the LCAR reservation I have for next weekend.
In cases like this, it's easier to use the app or call central reservations to change the contract -- even if you're standing at the location.
Old Jun 1, 2015, 7:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dtremit
In cases like this, it's easier to use the app or call central reservations to change the contract -- even if you're standing at the location.
That's just the thing, though. I had been trying all week via the app, website, and call center - LCAR never offered as a reservable option on those dates, apparently because they were only renting their LCAR inventory via PS.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.