Wiki Posts
Search

Emerald club and autoslash

Search this Thread

Old Apr 19, 2015, 7:03 am
Original Poster

Post Emerald club and autoslash

Hello fellow flyers,

Does any of you know if I can use autoslash, company contract and emerald club in combination?

Meaning I book a car using my company contract and emerald club and the submit the details to autoslash to let them find me a better deal. If autoslash finds a better deal can I then use their reservation and still pick the car from the emerald aisle?

Thank you very much in advance.
Old Apr 19, 2015, 7:14 am
Company Representative - AutoSlash and HotelSlash

As long as you choose a midsize or higher vehicle and have your Emerald Number attached to your reservation, you can choose from the Emerald Aisle regardless of which channel you book through. AutoSlash of course allows you to add your frequent member number from all the major rental companies.
Old Apr 22, 2015, 7:04 am
Original Poster

Excellent. Thank you very much.

Then I guess there is no reason not to use Autoslash.com
Old Apr 27, 2015, 2:45 pm

There may be a reason: if Autoslash doesn't explain HOW exactly they scan the market for your place&dates
Old Apr 30, 2015, 6:58 am

Can you still get airline points for the rental if you book it through Autoslash?
Old Apr 30, 2015, 10:28 am

Originally Posted by hughc99
Can you still get airline points for the rental if you book it through Autoslash?
Absolutely!

In your Emerald Club profile, you can choose to earn airline miles instead of rental credits. If you do that, then you'll earn miles just like you would booking directly through NationalCar.com.

(To collect miles without an Emerald Club profile, you can ask the rental agent to add your number when you pick up the car.)

Note that National's Emerald Club program is actually fairly rewarding for rental credits, and it's usually a better deal to collect rental credits than to collect miles, since National charges a surcharge to collect miles with many airlines. But if you prefer to collect miles, booking through AutoSlash doesn't prohibit that or any other benefits National offers you.
Old Apr 30, 2015, 10:46 am

So then the Autoslash rate is excluding the surcharge, if I understand that correctly.

Originally Posted by AutoSlash
Note that National's Emerald Club program is actually fairly rewarding for rental credits, and it's usually a better deal to collect rental credits than to collect miles, since National charges a surcharge to collect miles with many airlines.
In a perfect world, yes. But if you rely entirely on CC insurance for coverage? A free day + CDW may wind up costing more than paying the regular rate and using the CC coverage.

The value of free days takes a huge hit for me personally for this reason.
Old Apr 30, 2015, 2:59 pm

So then the Autoslash rate is excluding the surcharge, if I understand that correctly.
It may or may not include the surcharge depending on how your National Emerald profile is setup. If your profile automatically chooses airline miles as opposed to Emerald Club credits then the surcharge may get baked into the rate when you book with your Emerald Club member number, but if not, and you ask at the counter to have say your AAdvantage member number applied, then you might pay a couple of dollars in surcharges for crediting the miles. It's fairly small in any case, and often if you credit to international airlines or hotel partners, there is no surcharge at all.

In a perfect world, yes. But if you rely entirely on CC insurance for coverage? A free day + CDW may wind up costing more than paying the regular rate and using the CC coverage.
It's a valid point. Some (but not all) credit card coverage requires you to charge the full rental amount while others are less restrictive about this, and for example, if you use one free day and then pay for 2, then it's fine and they will still cover you. If you own an automobile, your personal auto insurance may cover you when renting as well. There's lots of considerations here, so what's right for one person/situation may not be right for another.
Old May 1, 2015, 9:38 pm

Programs: Marriott LTG, HHonors Diamond, Nat'l Exec

The value of free days takes a huge hit for me personally for this reason.
What about using a rate with CDW included when applying the free day? Many require affiliation, but there's at least the Business Rental Program which anyone can sign up for.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.