Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > National | Emerald Club
Reload this Page >

Additional drivers who are not present at the time of pickup

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Additional drivers who are not present at the time of pickup

Search this Thread

Old Apr 3, 2015, 11:08 pm

Programs: AA EXP, AS MVP 75k, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Gold, National Executive Elite
I noticed on the new website there is a place to enter the information (including DL) of an additional driver.

I am not sure if this means they no longer have to be present in those cases where they typically would be or not, but thought it was interesting.
Old Apr 7, 2015, 5:56 am

Originally Posted by dwbf11
Spouses are automatically covered if you're an Emerald Club member. They don't need to be added to the reservation.
Might be hi-jacking the thread, in that case, I'm sorry. I have EC membership, can I then add my girlfriend as a driver, with no additional charge? We are living together, but are not married.
Old Apr 7, 2015, 7:01 am
Moderator: National Car

Programs: Delta PM, National EE, Hertz PC, Hilton DM
Originally Posted by AllanAa
Might be hi-jacking the thread, in that case, I'm sorry. I have EC membership, can I then add my girlfriend as a driver, with no additional charge? We are living together, but are not married.
I'm sure you can add her but she won't be a covered additional driver per Emerald Club rules. You will have to add her at the counter. Depending on what contract you use you may or may not have to pay as well.
Old Apr 7, 2015, 10:06 pm

I believe if you are living with your girlfriend she is considered a "domestic partner" that is covered as an additional driver per the Emerald club terms and conditions. I'm not a lawyer, but my understanding is that if her driver's license lists the same address as you she should be covered as a domestic partner.
Old Apr 8, 2015, 1:49 am

Thank you for your answers. I will get back to you after my trip, to clarify how it worked out.
Old Apr 13, 2015, 12:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by Coastercameron
I believe if you are living with your girlfriend she is considered a "domestic partner" that is covered as an additional driver per the Emerald club terms and conditions. I'm not a lawyer, but my understanding is that if her driver's license lists the same address as you she should be covered as a domestic partner.
This is very likely to vary based on geography of your residence and/or rental location.
Old Jun 18, 2015, 10:09 am

Programs: AADVANTAGE, Iberia Plus, BA Exec Blue, Hertz #1Gold, HHonors Gold, AS, Paradores Amigos
Originally Posted by JenniferNAz
I noticed on the new website there is a place to enter the information (including DL) of an additional driver.

I am not sure if this means they no longer have to be present in those cases where they typically would be or not, but thought it was interesting.
Is this when a rental reservation is made, or in the Emerald "profile" section? If the latter I am unable to see space for additional driver's details.

I am new to National, having been status-matched from Hertz "No1 Gold Plus 5*", where I don't need to supply my spouse's details each time we pick up a car as Hertz have the details on record. I hope I can avoid having to call at the counter to supply additional driver details for my spouse each time we pick up a car?
Old Jun 18, 2015, 2:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by johnash
Is this when a rental reservation is made, or in the Emerald "profile" section? If the latter I am unable to see space for additional driver's details.

I am new to National, having been status-matched from Hertz "No1 Gold Plus 5*", where I don't need to supply my spouse's details each time we pick up a car as Hertz have the details on record. I hope I can avoid having to call at the counter to supply additional driver details for my spouse each time we pick up a car?
Perhaps I'm incorrect, but I believe under Emerald Club rules you don't even need to add your spouse at all. He/she is automatically covered by virtue of being your spouse.

Still, adding them if there's a way is probably best practice, since I'm sure laws could vary state to state and certainly outside the US.

That said, Mrs. Lee drives my rental cars all the time in various places across the US (including PR) and I've never worried about it. She has returned them many times as well with no questions asked, though I'm always the one that picks up.

Of course...we've never had an issue where liability would be a problem. (Runs to find wood to knock on)
Old Jun 19, 2015, 9:48 pm

Programs: Executive Elite
Originally Posted by johnash

This is when you make a new reservation. Like many have said, spouses are automatically covered.

For the purposes of this Paragraph, “authorized driver” means the (a) renter, (b)
the renter’s spouse if the spouse is a licensed driver and satisfies the car rental
company’s minimum age requirement; (c) the renter’s employee or co-worker if they are
engaged in business activity with the person to whom the vehicle is rented, are licensed
drivers, and satisfy the rental company’s minimum age requirements; (d) any person
who operates the vehicle during an emergency situation; and (e) any person expressly
listed by the car rental company on the renter’s contract as an authorized driver.
https://www.nationalcar.com/en_US/ca...ent/rules.html
Old Jun 20, 2015, 5:48 am

Programs: AADVANTAGE, Iberia Plus, BA Exec Blue, Hertz #1Gold, HHonors Gold, AS, Paradores Amigos
Thanks for the advice.

I did Tweet National. After some duff information like Your spouse must appear at the rental counter w/ you, have a valid drivers license, & sign the rental agreement. An additional daily National Car Rental fee of $10 may apply for any additional drivers. Plz let me know if you have any additional questions. Safe travels! -Keisha

After I pointed out that (From National web site) 'No Second Driver Fees.. Never pay extra when family members and business associates do the driving'

The final advice was You are correct, there is no additional driver fee for family members and Your spouse must appear at the rental counter so our team can verify their drivers license & to sign the rental contract. -KC

My main concern, of course, is that we are fully insured in case of accident when spouse is driving! If I do a dummy booking, I hope I can see the space for providing spouse's details. I had similar issues with Hertz but eventually got a statement from them that registration of spouse was not necessary.

Originally Posted by wooward
Like many have said, spouses are automatically covered.
https://www.nationalcar.com/en_US/ca...ent/rules.html
That certainly seems to be the definitive answer!

Last edited by johnash; Jun 20, 2015 at 5:55 am Reason: Added
Old Jun 26, 2015, 10:43 pm

I've tested the new "add additional drivers" feature that appears when you make a reservation on the new website and I am THRILLED to say that it actually worked. Went right to the aisle, the additional drivers showed up on the contract at the exit booth, and they did not need to be present at time of pickup.
Old Jun 27, 2015, 12:29 am

I've tested the new "add additional drivers" feature that appears when you make a reservation on the new website and I am THRILLED to say that it actually worked. Went right to the aisle, the additional drivers showed up on the contract at the exit booth, and they did not need to be present at time of pickup.
Good news, indeed. But if you use it for the details of spouse, I suspect it would then add a charge for additional driver?
Old Jul 11, 2015, 3:05 am

So, we ended up renting through Budget (saved around 500$ doing that) and got my girlfriend as a free additional driver, because of the domestic partner rules they have. However, I asked for that before declining any insurances.. The guy at the desk got very rude after I declined that stuff, so he would probably not have accepted her as an additional driver afterwards.
Old Aug 16, 2017, 8:26 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum
Hi, my situation is that I want to add a friend to be authorized driver. However, he is arriving one day after pickup, and leaving one day after I leave, so I want him to return the car. Is there any way this can be done? Can I, after pickup, add him at a different National location with him present? Any DP is appreciated.

I will also try to add him at the time of booking and hope no question at pickup.
Old Aug 16, 2017, 9:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by italdesign
Hi, my situation is that I want to add a friend to be authorized driver. However, he is arriving one day after pickup, and leaving one day after I leave, so I want him to return the car. Is there any way this can be done? Can I, after pickup, add him at a different National location with him present? Any DP is appreciated.

I will also try to add him at the time of booking and hope no question at pickup.
Yes, you can add him at any other National location (you definitely can if both your rental location and the other location are corporate, and I believe you still can even if the other is franchised as franchises still use the corporate Odyssey computer system).

Once he is added as an additional renter, he may keep the car as long as he wants and legally drive it, even without your presence. (Be sure you do trust him to return the car on time, as if he does not, you're liable as the primary renter!)
italdesign likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.