Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Reserved vehicle not available?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 19, 2014, 7:39 am
Original Poster

Programs: Kimpton IC, Voila Platinum, Club Carlson Gold Elite,National EE, Hertz PC, Avis First, Sixt Platinum
Reserved vehicle not available?

Has anyone ever reserved a specific vehicle class only to be told there are none available? How has it been handled?

Let's say you booked the highest (most expensive) class at a location -- for example, a standard SUV at a small airport -- you show up, there's none available. What could they possibly offer you? Do they try to compensate you somehow or is it just "tough luck"?

To make it worse, I'm using a exec elite free day and do not care about price. I don't want to waste my free day on a lower class.
Old Nov 19, 2014, 8:58 am

Programs: National Executive Elite, Marriott Bonfire Titanium, Hilton Gold, United Premier Silver, Hertz PC
They'll usually try to give you a higher class vehicle or, in the case of an SUV, sometimes a Minivan. In your case, they might give you a Full size SUV, Full size crossover, Minivan, and maybe even a luxury/elite SUV depending on their availability. They could also try and con you into an intermediate/midsize SUV depending on the specific location's practices and their availability. If they don't initially offer it, I'd push for SFAR or better, but if they don't have it they simply don't have it.

I understand that you booked the highest class available on the website, more often than not you'll find other classes in person that wasn't shown on the website (due to one ways mainly, or low inventory, cancellations, etc) or even non-reservable classes usually reserved for on the spot upgrades.

On a free day, I highly doubt there would be compensation. If you do end up with something you don't want, you can always try and ask them to maintain the "car class charged : SFAR" on your contract while driving something else, then go to a larger (perhaps airport) location and switch into a SFAR, or whatever is on EA/ES. YMMV
Old Nov 22, 2014, 8:31 pm

Far as one knows National never reserves by vehicle but class. If they do not have what was reserved normally customer is offered an *ahem* upgrade to a larger vehicle at same rate, or downgraded to a smaller but at a lower rate. That and or you may be offered some sort of compensation like not having to bring the tank back at full or whatever.

At least within Manhattan, NYC National was famous for offering anything but what one reserved. That is if you wanted a compact or mid-sized all they had were minivans or large SUVs. Reserved a SUV? You might get a large car.....

Have stood at National's counters often enough listening to some customer raving about how he or she reserved a SUV but all they had were economy or compact cars. Then they start waving their "guaranteed reservation" to which CS reps respond "yes, you are guaranteed a vehicle but that does not mean it will be what was reserved...".
Old Nov 23, 2014, 9:24 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum; Hilton Diamond; United Platinum; AA Gold
Originally Posted by BugsyPal
Far as one knows National never reserves by vehicle but class. If they do not have what was reserved normally customer is offered an *ahem* upgrade to a larger vehicle at same rate, or downgraded to a smaller but at a lower rate. That and or you may be offered some sort of compensation like not having to bring the tank back at full or whatever.

At least within Manhattan, NYC National was famous for offering anything but what one reserved. That is if you wanted a compact or mid-sized all they had were minivans or large SUVs. Reserved a SUV? You might get a large car.....

Have stood at National's counters often enough listening to some customer raving about how he or she reserved a SUV but all they had were economy or compact cars. Then they start waving their "guaranteed reservation" to which CS reps respond "yes, you are guaranteed a vehicle but that does not mean it will be what was reserved...".
Does anything change if you are EE?
Old Nov 23, 2014, 5:00 pm

Originally Posted by BostonBusinessTraveler
Does anything change if you are EE?
Outside of upgrades and other perks EE means almost nothing within Manhattan, NYC. This is because all the locations are (or were) garages. Unlike say LGA or other airports you don't get to walk about and choose from a selection within the EE class. But CS tells you what they have and or have attached a vehicle to your reservation before your scheduled arrival time.

That last bit is pretty much the extent of what one gets as an EE member otherwise within NYC. There is (or was) in many locations a special "line" at the counter for EE members. And as stated they pull your reservation and assign something to it before arrival so you in theory won't have to wait, and yes they do try to get you in and out fast.

Have been EE for years and have had to sit through the same problems as anyone else. Lack of inventory, no upgrades being available, crappy selection (reserving a premium and getting a Fiat because that is all they had), etc....
Old Nov 24, 2014, 10:58 am

Programs: AA Platinum Pro, National EE, HH Diamond
I am EE and I ran into this problem trying to use my free days at Logan about a week ago. I reserved a Luxury car hoping to get an ATS or CTS (or really any luxury sedan) for a weekend drive to Maine. They told me they didn't have anything in those classes available and offered me an Escalade. Not really wanting such a huge SUV, I ended up taking a Chrysler 300 from the Executive Aisle for $12/day and saving my free days.
Old Nov 24, 2014, 1:28 pm

Originally Posted by Bob111R
I am EE and I ran into this problem trying to use my free days at Logan about a week ago. I reserved a Luxury car hoping to get an ATS or CTS (or really any luxury sedan) for a weekend drive to Maine. They told me they didn't have anything in those classes available and offered me an Escalade. Not really wanting such a huge SUV, I ended up taking a Chrysler 300 from the Executive Aisle for $12/day and saving my free days.
You can count on National to always have at least two types of vehicles: SUVs (often large) and Impalas. *LOL*

The above usually only applies when you do not want either. When you reserve a minivan or SUV....
Old Dec 10, 2014, 1:57 pm
Carlson Contributor Badge

Programs: Hertz & Avis PC; National EE; SPG & Hilton Gold; AC 35K (yawn)
At a new city location in Toronto (Yonge / Bloor) that is mostly an Enterprise location, they have a pretty wide availability on their website, including Hybrids. Booked one once, on a free day, on a one-way to Ottawa.

Of course it was not there. They offered me a Hyundai Accent initially. Eventually took a Buick Lacrosse with a free tank of gas.
Old Dec 13, 2014, 7:59 am

National caused me arguably $150 of damages last Spring Break. I was told "the entire area" was sold out of minivans, a couple of hours ahead of pick-up. Upon completion of trip, I wrote detailed email to customer service - and settled for 1 free day credit. I'm afraid: 1 free day doesn't now apply to reserve a minivan, anyone?
Old Dec 13, 2014, 8:01 am

No. If you're Executive Elite, you can use a free day to book a large SUV. If you're regular Executive, you can check ES for a minivan. If you're regular Emerald, you can hope that EA has one.
Old Dec 13, 2014, 8:59 am

I'm regular Executive (which seems to continue free by virtue of simply carrying AMEX biz platinum). So you're saying I can't pre-book anything above full-size for my free credit...but walk thru the isle?

btw, I was counting on using free day for driving one-way FL->NY early Jan. What surprised me is that I'm not seeing any drive-in to FL rates Dec.19 from NY/NJ/PA offered by any rental co. About a month ago I saw under $30 all-in from Enterprise, National and Alamo for Dec.19 drive-in up to full-size, but didn't reserve. And now I see none out of any rental Co??

Last edited by SinglePapa2; Dec 13, 2014 at 9:07 am
Old Dec 13, 2014, 12:21 pm

I'm regular Executive (which seems to continue free by virtue of simply carrying AMEX biz platinum). So you're saying I can't pre-book anything above full-size for my free credit...but walk thru the isle?

Correct. You can choose the largest vehicle you can find on ES. That may be a minivan, or it may be a full size sedan. If the latter, sometimes you can negotiate an additional upcharge for a minivan, if inventory is available. KevinMD did this for his one-way PHL to TUL with free days, when ES did not have large vehicles.

btw, I was counting on using free day for driving one-way FL->NY early Jan. What surprised me is that I'm not seeing any drive-in to FL rates Dec.19 from NY/NJ/PA offered by any rental co. About a month ago I saw under $30 all-in from Enterprise, National and Alamo for Dec.19 drive-in up to full-size, but didn't reserve. And now I see none out of any rental Co??

This is exactly why you should reserve a non-prepaid rate that is acceptable to you as soon as you see it for the possible date(s) you will need. The rental companies shut off the drivein once they are satisfied that the spare inventory is gone. This is especially likely to happen around holidays that overlap with the drivein, such as Thanksgiving and Christmas. They are under no obligation to continuously keep these rates available, nor to offer these rates whenever someone needs/wants them. Your best bet at this point would be to try to find a similar rate from further cities, (ex ALB, PHL, DCA, BOS, etc.) but a quick check shows this is no longer available, either.
Old Dec 18, 2014, 12:32 am

Originally Posted by SinglePapa2

I am currently renting an FCAR for $9/day, one way from ABE to FLL.

I do remember how National screwed me over last April. I had a 7 passenger minivan booked at a local store, and got a call 2 hours before pickup saying that they were all out of minivans and only had FCARs available. They also told me the "entire region" was out of minivans too. Eventually had to get a minivan at another location 30 miles away from Alamo. Another person with a minivan reservation was assigned a pick up truck at that location.

Another time, from a local NJ store to PBI, I reserved a CCAR and got an SUV. I wanted the compact specifically for the gas mileage since I didn't need the extra space. They told me I could exchange it at any airport. I went to EWR, 15 miles in the opposite direction of PBI, to try to exchange it for a CCAR. They wouldn't let me do it even though there were many compacts available. Later on I went to PHL, getting stuck in Philly traffic that I would have otherwise avoided, and they let me exchange it for a nice little Nissan Versa. I had taken the prepaid fuel option for the 1-2-Free points and because gas is cheaper in NJ than FL. While I'm driving to Florida, the original NJ store calls me and apologizes, offering to comp my prepaid fuel. That was nice, and I kept that in mind for when I took a survey on my experience. I returned it to PBI on fumes.

Last edited by nd2010; Dec 18, 2014 at 1:07 am
Old Dec 18, 2014, 7:51 pm

Originally Posted by nd2010
I am currently renting an FCAR for $9/day, one way from ABE to FLL.

I do remember how National screwed me over last April. I had a 7 passenger minivan booked at a local store, and got a call 2 hours before pickup saying that they were all out of minivans and only had FCARs available. They also told me the "entire region" was out of minivans too. Eventually had to get a minivan at another location 30 miles away from Alamo. Another person with a minivan reservation was assigned a pick up truck at that location.

Another time, from a local NJ store to PBI, I reserved a CCAR and got an SUV. I wanted the compact specifically for the gas mileage since I didn't need the extra space. They told me I could exchange it at any airport. I went to EWR, 15 miles in the opposite direction of PBI, to try to exchange it for a CCAR. They wouldn't let me do it even though there were many compacts available. Later on I went to PHL, getting stuck in Philly traffic that I would have otherwise avoided, and they let me exchange it for a nice little Nissan Versa. I had taken the prepaid fuel option for the 1-2-Free points and because gas is cheaper in NJ than FL. While I'm driving to Florida, the original NJ store calls me and apologizes, offering to comp my prepaid fuel. That was nice, and I kept that in mind for when I took a survey on my experience. I returned it to PBI on fumes.
LOL: I can't believe it was you leaving in a silver Town and Country (young bearded guy with a heap of dirty blond?), as I stood there inside the booth with the "manager working on it"
Old Dec 19, 2014, 10:30 am

Programs: DL Silver, AS MVP, UA Silver, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Plat, SPG Plat, National Exec Elite
I've had two back-to-back instances arriving at TUL around 10pm where all that was available was MVAR when on a PCAR reservation. If that's all they have, there's not much else you can do about it but the second time I got a young booth agent who clearly had no clue what she was doing and refused to adjust my rate down to ICAR saying "I don't know how to do that, that aint my job" over and over again. I was pretty furious and brought it up with the manager upon return the next day, to which he apologized, adjusted my rate down, comped my fuel (a whole 3 gallons), and gave me a car good for a free upgrade (though I'm not sure that's worth much either since they give PCAR to EE on ICAR res, and they never have LCAR on the lot).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.