Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > National | Emerald Club
Reload this Page >

Major Price Discrepancy - National Rental EuropCar Provider

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 15, 2014, 4:45 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Hi,

Need your help on how to best handle this. I'm an executive member.

Booked a rental through National's website. Got to Frankfurt airportin Germany and found that my reservation is serviced by EuropCar.

Non-eventful trip and drop the car off. Guy checking it in says he can't give me a receipt and I'm running late for the flight so I don't try to get one.

Come home and find that my card was supposed to be charged $240 but was charged $450 instead. Not sure why its nearly double the cost.

I've already written to National and asked them for a receipt and to look into it. Can/Should I do anything else?

Thanks.

P.S. I really hate it when they sub award their rentals, I prefer it if they told you up front its going to be another provider.
Old Oct 15, 2014, 4:58 pm
Moderator: National Car

Programs: Delta PM, National EE, Hertz PC, Hilton DM
It does say that up front, perhaps you missed it? When I just went to make a reservation and was given my choice of the 12 Frankfurt area locations, all of them say "serviced by Europcar" on top of the location information. See this screenshot, for example.

That said I think your recourse is with Europcar, not National.
Old Oct 15, 2014, 5:17 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Call National in the US and ask them to track down an explanation. If there is not a satisfactory explanation, initiate a chargeback for the disputed amount. Understand that without a receipt, this will devolve into a he said/she said.
Old Oct 15, 2014, 6:34 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Often1
Call National in the US and ask them to track down an explanation. If there is not a satisfactory explanation, initiate a chargeback for the disputed amount. Understand that without a receipt, this will devolve into a he said/she said.
I sent in an email request, is that sufficient or should I also call.

I hate hate hate it when companies don't provide receipts. He said his machine was out and it would take some time to get it set up and I had a plane to catch ...

I'm really puzzled what it could be. The car was returned full, on time, no damage.
Old Oct 16, 2014, 8:28 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by dwbf11
It does say that up front, perhaps you missed it?
I used the APP which doesn't tell you this information (my app is on android).
Old Oct 16, 2014, 8:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by inpd
I used the APP which doesn't tell you this information (my app is on android).
My Android app 2.3.1 gives this error when looking to make a reservation for FRA:

Frankfurt Airport
Reservations for this international location cannot be made from this application.
Old Oct 16, 2014, 11:00 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
If you made the request and 2-3 days have gone by, initiate a dispute for the difference. Make sure you note the quoted and charged amounts. Leave out everything extraneous to a CC issuer decision.
Old Oct 16, 2014, 11:52 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Often1
If you made the request and 2-3 days have gone by, initiate a dispute for the difference. Make sure you note the quoted and charged amounts. Leave out everything extraneous to a CC issuer decision.
So I made the request 3 days ago. Today I received a response from National saying that would: i) Get me a receipt, ii) Find out what the extra charges are.

Do you still recommend disputing the charge? I was thinking of waiting to see what the additional amounts are first.

I'm not sure what you mean by "Leave out everything extraneous to a CC issuer decision"?

Thanks again.
Old Oct 19, 2014, 3:53 am

Location: A place where I have just enough status to want more, but can't afford it!
Programs: National EE, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Plat, Avis PC, Hertz PC
So I made the request 3 days ago. Today I received a response from National saying that would: i) Get me a receipt, ii) Find out what the extra charges are.

Do you still recommend disputing the charge? I was thinking of waiting to see what the additional amounts are first.

I'm not sure what you mean by "Leave out everything extraneous to a CC issuer decision"?

Thanks again.
I had this exact same scenario but I think it was in MUC and not FRA. My Europcar bill ended up being twice the amount it should have been. After going back and forth with National CS, they were able to get it resolved but it did take about 2 weeks. If I were you and you are not pressed for time, I'd wait to see what National can do. If you exceed 2 weeks, then I'd dispute it with the credit card and let them resolve it.

After this the future I use SIXT, AVIS or Hertz when in Europe, it's just not worth the hassle and I usually get better car anyway.
Old Oct 19, 2014, 7:50 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond

What was listed on the rental agreement when yin picked the car up?
Old Oct 20, 2014, 9:37 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by seawolf
What was listed on the rental agreement when yin picked the car up?
The rental agreement was with National and lists about $240. Its very annoying when people don't print out receipts and then charge you more. I suspect they've added some sort of costs on like fuel.

National is looking into it for me. I'll update you when it gets resolved.
Old Oct 20, 2014, 12:44 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
The rental agreement was with National and lists about $240. Its very annoying when people don't print out receipts and then charge you more. I suspect they've added some sort of costs on like fuel.

National is looking into it for me. I'll update you when it gets resolved.
You are saying that when you picked up the car from EuropCar in Germany, they printed the rental agreement on National branded paper?

Assuming they didn't tacked on add-ons on the rental agreement you didn't change the return time/location, it should be a pretty clear-cut dispute with credit card and that would put the burden on the merchant document the extra charges.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.