Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > National | Emerald Club
Reload this Page >

Best strategy for inexpensive longer SUV/van rental?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 9, 2014, 4:46 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott LTG, HHonors Diamond, Nat'l Exec

Thanks to a rather frustrating knee injury, I find myself unable to easily get in and out of the car I own, which is a bit too low to the ground. As such, I'm looking at the possibility of renting something taller -- probably a small/standard SUV or a minivan -- for a month or so until I'm in better shape.

While I rent frequently, I've almost never rented for more than about a week at a stretch, so this is uncharted territory for me.

Does anyone have any tips on how to go about getting a decent rate on such a rental from National or Enterprise? I'd rather keep the credits in the family, since I'm behind on requalifying for Exec and this injury is probably going to limit my business travel as well.

I am in the Boston area, if it matters. I'd be fine with swapping out the car on shorter contracts if that ends up costing less, though I'm probably not up for switching locations.
Old Oct 9, 2014, 7:55 pm

This is the season of the Florida Drive In promo. You can get a low rate <$10/day up to 4 weeks, but you have to return it in Florida at the end. It would end up cheaper to drive it to Florida in the last few days of the contract and fly back to BOS. It's like a "free" vacation. Or you could post an ad on Craigslist to find someone willing to drive it to Florida for free, then add them as an authorized driver (or even try to find someone on this site, depending on the dates I might even be willing to drive it to Florida for you)

For a 3 week period, the difference is ~$200 with the Florida return and >$600 without a Florida return. Gas to Florida and a flight back costs less than $400.
Old Oct 12, 2014, 9:38 am
Moderator: National Car

Programs: Delta PM, National EE, Hertz PC, Hilton DM
Just used National for a family member's insurance replacement rental so we had a car for about a month. Booking weekly the best rate I could come up with (using codes to which I am entitled to use) was about $200/week on average. National has a monthly rate but I think the best bang for the buck is keeping it one week at a time and then re-renting. That way you can apply coupons such as the $/off per week that National emails out and/or the entertainment book provide. You can use those coupons on a monthly rental but you only get the benefit of them once instead of four times. It was extra hassle to have to go back to the airport every weekend but overall the savings justified the inconvenience.

For a month long rental though you might actually do better walking in to your local Enterprise and seeing what they can do for you.
Old Oct 12, 2014, 8:34 pm

Programs: DL Silver, AS MVP, UA Silver, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Plat, SPG Plat, National Exec Elite
I'd probably roll the dice on an ES res with codes and coupons... It sounds like if you don't find an SUV the day you pick up, it wouldn't be the end of the world to go home and try again the next day.
Old Oct 12, 2014, 9:11 pm
Original Poster

nd2010, the FL drive-in rates are a good idea, but they don't seem to be all that great for minivans or SUVs. My local Enterprise seems to be able to beat them by a little bit.

dwbf11, that's a good point. I have sort of been assuming that going with a full month would be cheaper, but it may not be the case. And I'd almost forgotten about the Entertainment coupons (it used to be the discount thread that reminded me).

Getting to the airport to take my chances is a bit rough with this knee issue -- a normal height cab presents the same problems as my car, so it's either imposing on a friend with a SUV, or a fairly pricey Uber SUV. And the airport taxes and fees add on $6 a day plus 11% as compared with the more convenient city location. So in this case, I will probably stick to reserving what I want.
Old Oct 12, 2014, 9:22 pm

Programs: Dust...
Remember the $6/day drops off after a few/several days depends on what airport you're renting from.
Old Oct 12, 2014, 9:24 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by symbols
Remember the $6/day drops off after a few/several days depends on what airport you're renting from.
Not at BOS! They've got a new rental car center to pay for...
Old Oct 12, 2014, 9:33 pm

Programs: Dust...
Originally Posted by dtremit
Not at BOS! They've got a new rental car center to pay for...
Dang, that's no good. SEA LAS (3.something) and PHX are on that list. PDX is among a few who are as low as 4 days.
Old Oct 13, 2014, 11:38 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by symbols
Dang, that's no good. SEA LAS (3.something) and PHX are on that list. PDX is among a few who are as low as 4 days.
Yeah, I did a dummy booking for a two month rental just to test the theory, and it was happy to apply $372 in surcharges.

On closer inspection, though, the 11.11% "concession recovery" surcharge is actually National's -- and seems to be standard for airport locations. It's the same at SEA.

The only state fees are the $6/day facility fee and a $10/rental convention center fee, neither of which applies at the downtown location. And standard sales tax.
Old Oct 27, 2014, 9:35 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium, National EE
Not sure about the BOS location, however both EWR and IAD locations I usually rent from always has a bunch of SUVs (Tahoe, Arcadia, and various sizes of Jeep being the most frequent) and mini-van in the Executive Selection. Even the regular Reserve aisle often has a small - standard SUV and even mini-vans.
Old Oct 30, 2014, 5:38 am

Programs: UA, AA, BA, National EE, Hertz President Circle, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, IHG Plat, Marriot Silver
Originally Posted by nd2010
This is the season of the Florida Drive In promo. You can get a low rate <$10/day up to 4 weeks, but you have to return it in Florida at the end. It would end up cheaper to drive it to Florida in the last few days of the contract and fly back to BOS. It's like a "free" vacation. Or you could post an ad on Craigslist to find someone willing to drive it to Florida for free, then add them as an authorized driver (or even try to find someone on this site, depending on the dates I might even be willing to drive it to Florida for you)

For a 3 week period, the difference is ~$200 with the Florida return and >$600 without a Florida return. Gas to Florida and a flight back costs less than $400.
which dates do you see the offer for $10 a day?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.