Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > National | Emerald Club
Reload this Page >

Question re is it safe to rent from National if they are owned by Enterprise?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 19, 2014, 12:01 pm
Original Poster

I am renting a vehicle in a few months and the online price for National is a couple of hundred dollars less than the other companies. Many years ago I rented vehicles from National a few times with no problem.

However I have read that National is now owned by Enterprise. The complaints about Enterprise charging for pre-existing damage are all over the internet, and based on the huge number of complaints about Enterprise, I won't rent from them.

The question is, is it safe to rent from National? Do they have the same business practices as Enterprise, or are the just owned by the same company, but managed completely separately?
Old Apr 19, 2014, 12:16 pm

If you join National's Emerald Club, you can bypass the counter at large facilities, choose your car, and minimize contact with any encroaching Enterprise practices. At small facilities, the procedures somewhat resemble those at Enterprise, including shared counters and staff. At most locations, the fleet is shared between National, Alamo, and Enterprise. The nicest and newest cars usually start at National and percolate down to Alamo and eventually Enterprise as they age.
Old Apr 19, 2014, 1:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Enterprise Holdings bought National in 2007. The change in ownership is old, old news.
Old Apr 19, 2014, 9:41 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum; HHonors Diamond; National Executive Elite
I use National exclusively. No issues at all. I never see any Enterprise staff (I'm elite though and bypass the counter).
Old Apr 21, 2014, 6:31 pm

Programs: Delta Diamond, Jet Blue Mosiac, Marriott Platinum, SPG Platinum, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by trilinearmipmap
I am renting a vehicle in a few months and the online price for National is a couple of hundred dollars less than the other companies. Many years ago I rented vehicles from National a few times with no problem.

However I have read that National is now owned by Enterprise. The complaints about Enterprise charging for pre-existing damage are all over the internet, and based on the huge number of complaints about Enterprise, I won't rent from them.

The question is, is it safe to rent from National? Do they have the same business practices as Enterprise, or are the just owned by the same company, but managed completely separately?
Where are you renting from? That could make a big difference.

Also make sure you check the car thoroughly and ask for a printout of any damage you notify them of. You should t have any problems.

-A
Old Apr 21, 2014, 11:22 pm

Programs: DL Plat, UA Plat 1MM, AS MVP, Hyatt Discoverist, Avis Presidents Club, Hertz President's Circle
National ≠ Enterprise.

Just as

Chipotle ≠ McDonalds (I know that they don't own them anymore).
Old Apr 25, 2014, 8:47 am
Original Member and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM/MM, AA ExPlat, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia, National ECE, Hertz PC
I am pretty agnostic when it comes to choosing rental cars and although National is my favorite because of the Emerald Aisle, I have rented from all the national car companies from time to time, including Enterprise on several occasions.

Personally I have had more issues with Hertz and never had one issue with Enterprise.

I think there is actually a very simple explanation of why you can find more complaints about Enterprise than other car companies ... Enterprise has more locations, more cars, and more rentals than any other car rental company.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.