Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > National | Emerald Club
Reload this Page >

Can someone explain how the upcharges for Free Day certs work?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 8, 2013, 8:58 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL GM, UA Silver, Marriott Plat, National Exec

I'm just not reading it right or something. I'm trying to book an SUV and keep getting different final prices with different contract ID's when applying coupons.
Old Dec 8, 2013, 9:48 pm

Programs: National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by lsugolfer
I'm just not reading it right or something. I'm trying to book an SUV and keep getting different final prices with different contract ID's when applying coupons.
If u have a free day, depends on what Emerald Club tier you are.

Emerald Club Free Day: Reverse at midsize get midsize rate.

Emerald Club Executive : Reserve at midsize get full size at midsize rate.

Emerald Club Executive Elite: Reserve at midsize and any car class at midsize rate.

If you have a free day under the (One Two Free day) program.
The cars the free days would apply to would be Compact -Full size.

Now, if you are changing the the contract ID in the system, you are suppose to get different rates because certain companies have different contracted rates with national.

Up sell works like this.

Let's say if you reserve at midsize and u used a free day with that car class, and when u get to the airport u want that Red mustang.

They will then charge you a little extra on the car at the counter, which is usually called a upgrade charge.

But if you are using different contract ids, there is going to be a difference in rates, because each company has negotiated a different rate with nationals for there employees.

I hope this helps.
Old Dec 8, 2013, 10:14 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL GM, UA Silver, Marriott Plat, National Exec
Sort of. What I'm getting at is using National Generic code.

I can book a PCAR using free day certs and the rental is free (well $10 in airport taxes). The SUV is the same price as the PCAR but wants to charge me an upgrade charge of $18/day plus taxes.
Old Dec 8, 2013, 11:17 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Priority Club, National Exec Elite, Hertz #1 Gold, Avis First, Thrifty Bluechip

Check the rate again on the reservation screen (where it shows you the breakdown of fees). The PCAR will change to the FCAR price, whereas the SUV price won't change. I'm guessing that's the cause of the upcharge.
Old Dec 9, 2013, 8:35 am

Programs: Marriott LTG, HHonors Diamond, Nat'l Exec
Looking at the upgrade charge for an LCAR (similar scenario), it seems to be very similar to either the LCAR/PCAR or PCAR/FCAR price difference, but not exactly the same as either. E.g., on a day when the PCAR/FCAR price spread is 9.99 for a cash rental, and the LCAR/PCAR spread is 13.44, the LCAR upcharge for a free day is $10.06.

For the dates I was looking at, there was no upcharge for the SUV.
Old Dec 9, 2013, 8:58 am

The up charge is based completely on the difference in base rate between the maximum allowable class (FCAR) and the requested class.
Old Dec 21, 2013, 1:20 am

Programs: AA EXP, AS MVP 75k, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Gold, National Executive Elite
I am looking at booking a free day and am seeing this for the first time.

I am an exec elite, so should be able to use my normal free days (not from one two free) on any car, including Luxury. I have done this before several times. However, this time it is now charging me extra for a premium or a luxury rental. Also, it is allowing unlimited miles on a premium but for a luxury it is zero free miles and $x.xx per mile. This is happening with my corp code that has always been unlimited miles (on a luxury free day) and just charges taxes (no upcharge)

This seems to be a new change, one that makes my free days worth less.

Is anyone else seeing this?
Old Dec 21, 2013, 3:23 am

Programs: Hertz PC, National Exec Elite, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by JenniferNAz
I am looking at booking a free day and am seeing this for the first time.

I am an exec elite, so should be able to use my normal free days (not from one two free) on any car, including Luxury. I have done this before several times. However, this time it is now charging me extra for a premium or a luxury rental. Also, it is allowing unlimited miles on a premium but for a luxury it is zero free miles and $x.xx per mile. This is happening with my corp code that has always been unlimited miles (on a luxury free day) and just charges taxes (no upcharge)

This seems to be a new change, one that makes my free days worth less.

Is anyone else seeing this?
Just booked some of the same free days with large suv. Had to make sure I changed corp code as was going one way and by default was not unlimited miles. Also could be the airport causing this. Which airport are you booking?
Old Dec 26, 2013, 12:12 am

Programs: AA EXP, AS MVP 75k, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Gold, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by KevinMD
Just booked some of the same free days with large suv. Had to make sure I changed corp code as was going one way and by default was not unlimited miles. Also could be the airport causing this. Which airport are you booking?
I was checking Tucson and Phoenix, both cities I have booked one ways with before. I am using a corp code that has always been unlimited miles.

I have been an EE for several years and use the majority of my free days with one way rentals, so I am pretty familiar with how it works and what to expect.

These changes are new to me, just as it sounds like with the OP.

There seems to really be two separate issues.

They are not allowing my free day on any vehicle, as it states in the T&C's (I believe), as they are adding an upcharge on some vehicles.

Also, they are not allowing unlimited miles on specific cars when renting one way, as they have in the past. This seems to be on Premium or higher cars, and SUVs.
Old Dec 26, 2013, 9:58 pm

Programs: DL Plat, UA Plat 1MM, AS MVP, Hyatt Discoverist, Avis Presidents Club, Hertz President's Circle
They've definitely made some changes in the free day reward from my booking experience today.

From what I can tell, as an Exec member I can reserve up to a Premium and the cost of that day is fully covered by the certificate. Anything beyond this results in an upcharge -- essentially the difference between the Premium rate and the car I'm requesting. For an SUV that was $10, for a minvan it was $30.

Of course, using the aisle, there is always a reasonable chance of getting something beyond what you reserve, but never guaranteed.
Old Apr 8, 2014, 12:38 am

Just as an update on this issue...

I needed to book a one way using my free day. I have been using my one-two free days, so this has been the first time in many months I have tried using a reward free day.

I am an Exec Elite, so I should be able to get any car for free (with the exception of trucks or exotic, per the t&c), based on availability.

I could only get it to give me a full size, anything more added a surcharge. I tried to get the 800 reservation line to help me. First the woman said it was done, but when I got the confirmation, it was full size, not premium. So I called back, and the guy said I had the premium with no upgrade charge, but looking at the email confirmation, it had an upgrade charge. He couldn't explain it, said on his screen it showed no extra charge.

So today I called into EC Customer Service and told them of the issue, and that is has been going on for a few months. They said they didn't know what was going on and had never had an issue in the past, but that they would look into it and get back with me.

Luckily I was able to get the reservation taken care of, as the manager at the pick up location assured me there was no surcharge on the reservation.

So, if anyone else has had this issue, I would suggest calling in and making some noise, hopefully then it will get fixed.

BTW, the rules state that the free day can be up to a midsize for a EC member, Full size for an Elite and any car (with the truck and exotic exception) for an Executive Elite.
Old May 31, 2014, 11:53 am

I am exec elite and want to use my regular free day for some kind of a sports car. They don't have them to reserve on the website so can I just book say a convertible and then they will change it to the sports car at the airport and it would be covered by the free day? since the free day says its good for any car class as exec elite.

Also I saw a corvette at the Orlando airport yesterday. Is this a new car that national is now starting to rent?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.