Community
Wiki Posts
Search

April 1- May 31, 2014 Florida drive out

Search this Thread

Old Nov 4, 2013, 1:04 pm

If so, I recommend you reserve it now. Historically, when the FL driveout has ended early, or been modified, availability remains in south FL, less likely in central FL, and much less likely in northern FL.
Old Nov 4, 2013, 6:10 pm
Original Poster

What happens if I get the car towards the end of May? Will there not be a selection of vehicles?
Old Nov 4, 2013, 8:05 pm

A few things can happen:

1) Fewer cars to choose from. This should not be the main concern, especially compared to issue #4b.

2) They shut it off early, which means no cars at the price you wanted, or no more one-way out of FL availability at all.

3) They still have extra cars, and extend it, so the selection might still be decent.

4) A hurricane comes and the causes you to be unable to pick up the car when planned.

4a) The hurricane comes, you have to cancel your reservation, and so do a lot of other people in the same boat. So they quietly extend the driveout period, you can rebook your airline ticket, change your hotel dates, and still get the car at the price you wanted.

4b) The riskiest of all: The hurricane comes, you cancel, but the driveout rate is not extended. The airline is pressuring you to rebook for travel within the next 2 weeks, but since the one-way special is no longer available, this trip no longer makes economic sense. You're now stuck with paying cancellation fees for airlines, hotels, etc.
Old Nov 4, 2013, 9:05 pm

2 is a moot point if you already booked. They will honor the existing reservation.

1 and 3 I also believe to be moot points if you are renting from a EA location. They should allow you to pick from the EA/ES or ER selection if you book a van or SUV. I've never heard of EA locations limiting what you can pick for the aisles for one ways, except for cross border one ways to/from Canada.

It's not as if they are going to be giving away all the cars to the north, so selection shouldn't really be significantly different.
Old Nov 5, 2013, 6:31 am

What they seem to do is remove most vans and SUVs from EA and ES during the FL driveout, to save for those who specifically paid for them.
Old Dec 26, 2013, 8:22 pm

Programs: aa ua dl jb starwood marriott hyatt
Just tried a booking. The taxes and fees are the same as the weekly rate i.e weekly rate for 2 weeks for MIA pickup car is $139.30 + taxes of $135.38 for total of $274.68 FLL is $12 cheaper. Tried MCO and rates weren't there.
Old Dec 26, 2013, 8:25 pm

You can now also do this from Enterprise neighborhood stores directly online. The advantage is proximity and lower taxes. However, some locations say something like, "Unlimited miles in FL and surrounding states, otherwise 150 mi/day." I asked customer service about this, since the whole point of the FL driveout is to spread the cars around to different states, and they suggested calling the branch directly to clarify.
Old Dec 28, 2013, 9:02 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pto, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Hyatt Globalist
Has anyone had success finding the rate with a pickup other than JAX and TPA?
Old Dec 28, 2013, 11:35 pm

Originally Posted by Auto Enthusiast
A few things can happen:

4) A hurricane comes and the causes you to be unable to pick up the car when planned.

4a) The hurricane comes, you have to cancel your reservation, and so do a lot of other people in the same boat. So they quietly extend the driveout period, you can rebook your airline ticket, change your hotel dates, and still get the car at the price you wanted.

4b) The riskiest of all: The hurricane comes, you cancel, but the driveout rate is not extended. The airline is pressuring you to rebook for travel within the next 2 weeks, but since the one-way special is no longer available, this trip no longer makes economic sense. You're now stuck with paying cancellation fees for airlines, hotels, etc.
Fortunately, off-season hurricanes are rare. Beryl developed on May 26, 2012, so there is precedent, but I would consider it a low risk event not worth being concerned over.
Old Dec 29, 2013, 8:47 am

Has anyone had success finding the rate with a pickup other than JAX and TPA?

Yes, a quick test shows the rate is available from almost any major airport and neighborhood store in FL. A few exceptions seem to exist, such as the Westin in Tampa and Atlantic Blvd in Jacksonville.
Old Dec 29, 2013, 8:49 am

Programs: UA,WN,AA,DL, B6
Do they do a drive in, in October and November.
Old Dec 29, 2013, 10:47 am

Sometimes. And it's often quietly offered, in the form of randomly occurring unusually low rates, rather than actively announced. For instance, you may be able to find a few $35/day rates from the Northeast into FL right now, with a variety of companies.
Old Jan 3, 2014, 10:15 pm
Original Poster

What about renting out of Key West? The Cars at EYW board, peteropny says: This is not EA/ES location. So what to expect if renting for the drive out here?
Old Jan 4, 2014, 7:44 am

Key West is often, but not always, included in the FL specials. Since it is a small, non-Aisle facility, either the counter clerk will offer you a choice from a list, or they will assign you a car.
Old Jan 5, 2014, 2:36 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Auto Enthusiast
Key West is often, but not always, included in the FL specials. Since it is a small, non-Aisle facility, either the counter clerk will offer you a choice from a list, or they will assign you a car.
It has the FL drive out rates. But no cheap or vacancy available during my time I was pricing airfares for. So the keys is out.

Jax still has cars, but no SUVs. Tampa and MCO has SUVs and cars. Miami prices on ow fares during my preferred days is not good.

Anyone else driving out in April or May?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.