Search

Chicago Downtown (203 N. LaSalle)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 28, 2011, 11:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT Gold, DL SM, HY Disc, Marriott LT Gold
Chicago Downtown (203 N. LaSalle)

Since the DC Union Station thread has been helpful to me as a visitor, I thought I'd start a thread about this location. The garage entrance is on La Salle, but the counter is on the Clark Street side. It is right under the CTA Clark/Lake stop. It is a joint National/Alamo location with a shared inventory - space for about 25-30 cars.

Cons:
- They have a lot of novice customers.
- They have no fuel pumps, so you get cars with less than a fulll tank. This will be a hassle if you're returning elsewhere. The lady in front of me ended up with a car with only a quarter tank, fortunately she didn't have to go far and she negotiated paying $10 to bring the car back empty. Given that gas at the nearest station is $3.79/gallon right now, she probably got a good deal.
- Not open 24/7. Don't think they're open on Sunday at all.
- Generally higher weekend base rates than ORD/MDW, mostly because they don't count in the last minute specials.

Pros:
- Much lower weekday rates than ORD/MDW. I've found $36-$48/day when looking for various trips.
- Minimal taxes. No $4-$8/day airport fee, for example.
- The staff can figure out when you are NOT a novice customer, and don't give you a lot of nonsense upsell talk.
- I had no problem getting upgraded on my FCAR rental to a full leather/sunroof/Sirius Grand Cherokee. All I said was "Sure, I'll take the Charger, unless you have an SUV you'd like to unload on me..." For 400 miles of driving, I'm happy to pay the 7-8 mpg penalty in extra gas (so about $23 for my three-day rental) for a MUCH better ride.
Old Jun 27, 2011, 4:19 pm

Programs: United- 1K, National-ExSelect, Hilton- Dia, Marriott- PlatPrem, Hyatt - Diamond
Do you know what other cars they had at this location?
Old Jun 27, 2011, 5:52 pm

I dropped a Genesis there today...had picked up at ORD. Noticed there was at least one other genesis there as well.

Was actually a pretty painless process.
Old Jun 28, 2011, 6:00 pm

Programs: UA Premier Silver, AA Gold, National Emerald Club, Hilton Hhonors Gold
I've rented from the LaSalle location a couple of times.

Its mostly Impalas, Chargers that I have received here.
Old Jul 3, 2011, 12:00 pm

Hi everyone!
I'm from Italy, and i'll be in the USA this summer for a road trip from Chicago to San Francisco.
I reserved a Luxury car at 203 N LaSalle. Do you know what kind of L/car could i find? Does anybody knows if National or Alamo got the Ford Mustang at Chicago Downtown?
Thanks a lot, guys!!
Old Jul 3, 2011, 12:41 pm

Is this a one-way?
Old Jul 3, 2011, 1:45 pm

Originally Posted by Auto Enthusiast
Is this a one-way?
Yes it is. I'll return the car at the San Francisco Int. airport.
Old Jul 4, 2011, 9:42 am

Are you sure you can reserve a luxury car at this neighborhood location? A quick check online does not offer that category.
Old Jul 4, 2011, 3:58 pm

Originally Posted by Auto Enthusiast
Are you sure you can reserve a luxury car at this neighborhood location? A quick check online does not offer that category.
I think it might be 'cause they reserved all the Luxury cars they have. This location should be not so big. At least i hope!! I have the voucher and the category is Luxury!
Please don't scary me!!
P.s. Excuse me for my american english!
Old Jul 6, 2011, 12:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

My guess is that for "luxury" you'll be offered to take whatever car you'd like from what they have in stock. It's possible that they might have somebody drive a car down from O'Hare. When I had a Full Size SUV reservation at DC Union Station, they appear to have ferried over an Expedition for me from National Airport.

But I'd be a little worried that they may not have anything better than a full-size sedan or a standard SUV. Are you staying at a downtown hotel? If so, you might want to stop in a couple of days in advance and introduce yourself and ask them to keep something in the luxury category for you.
Old Jul 6, 2011, 1:30 pm

Originally Posted by ElmhurstNick
My guess is that for "luxury" you'll be offered to take whatever car you'd like from what they have in stock. It's possible that they might have somebody drive a car down from O'Hare. When I had a Full Size SUV reservation at DC Union Station, they appear to have ferried over an Expedition for me from National Airport.

But I'd be a little worried that they may not have anything better than a full-size sedan or a standard SUV. Are you staying at a downtown hotel? If so, you might want to stop in a couple of days in advance and introduce yourself and ask them to keep something in the luxury category for you.
Thanks for the advices! My voucher said that the category is Luxury - Cadillac DTS or similar. Anyway, I'll try to call when i'll be there even if it is not easy for me to talk to the phone in english
But the fact is: I already paid the rate!! So, i think, they cannot give me a full-size or a standard, if I paid (more) for a luxury. This wouldn't be fair!

Last edited by CMontheroad; Jul 6, 2011 at 2:33 pm
Old Jul 6, 2011, 3:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by CMontheroad
Thanks for the advices! My voucher said that the category is Luxury - Cadillac DTS or similar. Anyway, I'll try to call when i'll be there even if it is not easy for me to talk to the phone in english
But the fact is: I already paid the rate!! So, i think, they cannot give me a full-size or a standard, if I paid (more) for a luxury. This wouldn't be fair!
Did they charge it to your credit card already? Or is it just a reservation?
Old Jul 6, 2011, 6:26 pm

Programs: UA 1K,SPG Plat,
ElmhurstNick, just want to add that they are in fact open on Sundays, but odd hours, maybe 10-4 or 10-5.
Old Jul 7, 2011, 12:57 am

Originally Posted by ElmhurstNick
Did they charge it to your credit card already? Or is it just a reservation?
Yes, they charged my credit card on february. The only thing i still have to pay is the "drop off".
Old Jul 7, 2011, 10:28 pm
Moderator: CommunityBuzz!, OMNI, OMNI/PR, and OMNI/Games & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMM, AAMM & ExPlat, Marriott lifetime Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by jetche2004
I've rented from the LaSalle location a couple of times.

Its mostly Impalas, Chargers that I have received here.
agreed.

Pro for me is the price when ORD is too high, Con is lack of nice cars to choose from.

Another con I've noticed is that the cleaning crew doesn't do the best of job at this location

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.