Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > National | Emerald Club
Reload this Page >

Cars at KOA (Kona International Airport, Hawaii)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Cars at KOA (Kona International Airport, Hawaii)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 1, 2016, 8:13 am

Programs: UA 1K, SPG Plat
Was at KOA 2 weeks ago.

Thursday, late night pickup (9pm).

Similar story, no sign of anything Jeep'y in any way other than booking one. Although - was there for 8 days - they said I could chance coming back in a few days - but they were fairly heavily booked on them.

Had a full-size booked, Agent walked me up and down the rows ( the 'aisle' ) cars are a bit all over the place.

Selection was a few full-size, one cross-overy (2wd) mini-SUV thing, didn't catch the name. Mustang convertible and a hardtop Camaro.

Took the Camaro. (~5k miles), lovely machine, didn't bother going back to see if they had anything more 4x4'y.

Had a gander when returning (7pm Friday), looked to be mostly full/mid sizes.
Old Jan 9, 2017, 3:34 am

Took the fam to Big Island for vacation and reserved a midsize using some 1-2-F coupons. The lady at the counter only gave me two choices - a 2017 Maxima SV or a Jeep Compass. I took the Maxima and was very impressed. It was the nicest car I've ever driven from National's Emerald Aisle and to be honest it's the only car I've ever rented from National that I would consider purchasing. I actually liked it better than the BMW 3 series I rented from HNL recently. This is coming from a German car fanatic.

Last edited by Twixboy; Jan 9, 2017 at 3:40 am
Old Feb 12, 2017, 8:45 am

Got into Kona yesterday morning and the lot was full of some decent cars. They had already picked out a BMW X3 for our PCAR rental (which we took). Other cars I noticed were a Renegade TrailHawk (on the emerald aisle), Nissan 370Z, convertible mustang, Nissan Armada, and then your normal selection of Altimas, and a couple of vans. The "Emerald Aisle" was only 4 or 5 cars. I'm sure there was an executive section, but I didn't notice it. There was 1 Jeep Wrangler off to the side but not in a parking space with a sign.
Old Mar 28, 2017, 10:46 pm

Programs: SPG PLT, Hilton Diamond, AS MVP 75k,
Hi Guys, Trying to book a car at this location, but somehow I'm seeing message that there's no executive aisle at this location. Is this just me? I'm Emerald Executive. Any clues why I'm seeing this?
Thanks in advance.
Old Mar 28, 2017, 11:54 pm

Originally Posted by mgodara
Hi Guys, Trying to book a car at this location, but somehow I'm seeing message that there's no executive aisle at this location. Is this just me? I'm Emerald Executive. Any clues why I'm seeing this?
Thanks in advance.
I didn't find anything like an Executive Aisle when I rented there in January, though I was allowed to pick from what was available.

Basically, a bus took us to where the rental lots are, just outside of the airport entrance. As I walked onto the (curiously empty) National lot, I was met by a couple of agents who asked my name. They checked their clipboard and told me that I could choose whichever vehicle I wanted from the lot. There were 3 to choose from - an Altima, a Jeep Compass, and a minivan. I picked the Altima, which was both brand new (~1,800 miles) and fairly well equipped. As I was driving away I saw a family loading up the van and a couple walking toward the Jeep. All had been on my bus, and it kind of left me with the impression that they had brought out enough vehicles for the reservations they had, though I could be wrong on that point.
Old Mar 29, 2017, 12:43 pm

Programs: SPG PLT, Hilton Diamond, AS MVP 75k,
Originally Posted by Qwkynuf
I didn't find anything like an Executive Aisle when I rented there in January, though I was allowed to pick from what was available.

Basically, a bus took us to where the rental lots are, just outside of the airport entrance. As I walked onto the (curiously empty) National lot, I was met by a couple of agents who asked my name. They checked their clipboard and told me that I could choose whichever vehicle I wanted from the lot. There were 3 to choose from - an Altima, a Jeep Compass, and a minivan. I picked the Altima, which was both brand new (~1,800 miles) and fairly well equipped. As I was driving away I saw a family loading up the van and a couple walking toward the Jeep. All had been on my bus, and it kind of left me with the impression that they had brought out enough vehicles for the reservations they had, though I could be wrong on that point.
Thanks for the info. So what category of car should I book to make sure that I get to choose from "Executive aisle"? Full Size?
Old Mar 29, 2017, 7:51 pm

Originally Posted by mgodara
Thanks for the info. So what category of car should I book to make sure that I get to choose from "Executive aisle"? Full Size?
I had a midsize reserved, and they let me pick (from the 3 available)
Old May 29, 2017, 4:37 pm

Lots of Jeeps. Renegades and Compasses. Also several minivans..
Old Jun 20, 2017, 2:57 pm

Is there currently an executive aisle at Kona? I selected a midsize car but it does not say go and select a car from the executive aisle - only to go to the counter. TIA.
Old Jun 20, 2017, 6:34 pm

Not really. Both times I have rented there this year I was met getting off of the shuttle by a nice young lady with a clipboard. Once my name was verified, I was told that I could pick anything on their (very small) lot. The first trip there were only 3 options - a Jeep Renegade, a minivan, and a nicely optioned, low mileage Altima, which I chose. On my second trip, two months later, there were maybe 10 cars available to choose from, and I picked a Fusion Titanium Hybrid which was also very nice.

So, it's not an aisle, where you just sit in a car and drive it away, but I have never had to go into the counter either...
Old Jun 21, 2017, 12:01 am

Originally Posted by Qwkynuf
Not really. Both times I have rented there this year I was met getting off of the shuttle by a nice young lady with a clipboard. Once my name was verified, I was told that I could pick anything on their (very small) lot. The first trip there were only 3 options - a Jeep Renegade, a minivan, and a nicely optioned, low mileage Altima, which I chose. On my second trip, two months later, there were maybe 10 cars available to choose from, and I picked a Fusion Titanium Hybrid which was also very nice.

So, it's not an aisle, where you just sit in a car and drive it away, but I have never had to go into the counter either...
Same experience here - there is no aisle, but you are met by an employee as you step off the shuttle if you are an EC member. If you booked a midsize they usually have a couple cars waiting in the lot that you can choose from - at least 1 full size sedan and 1 small SUV. You may get lucky and get a premium car or larger SUV, but selection is very limited. I suspect the non-EC members who have to go into the office get whatever they reserved. If you don't pick one of the cars they have waiting for you, you'll have to wait for them to pull up a different car and go into the office to get a new contract.
Old Jun 21, 2017, 2:43 pm

Thanks. My issue is we are 2 adults and 3 kids with a large stroller. I need either a minivan or large SUV. I reserved a midsize at the moment (the website doesnt even show availability for any vans) and hopefully I will get upgraded to something large. Just in case I will make a backup reservation.
Old Jun 21, 2017, 9:29 pm

Originally Posted by pbryan
Thanks. My issue is we are 2 adults and 3 kids with a large stroller. I need either a minivan or large SUV. I reserved a midsize at the moment (the website doesnt even show availability for any vans) and hopefully I will get upgraded to something large. Just in case I will make a backup reservation.
Keep in mind National now charges a $50 no show fee if you don't cancel your reservation at least 24 hours in advance. I do hear of people still making backup reservations, so maybe someone else can chime in on how to avoid the no show fee if you make 2 reservations and don't use one of them.
Old Jun 22, 2017, 10:25 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by Twixboy
Keep in mind National now charges a $50 no show fee if you don't cancel your reservation at least 24 hours in advance. I do hear of people still making backup reservations, so maybe someone else can chime in on how to avoid the no show fee if you make 2 reservations and don't use one of them.
There is no such cancelation fee for postpaid rentals.
ginmqi likes this.
Old Sep 5, 2017, 2:52 am

Arrived on Saturday at 7am on labor day weekend. The lot was small and agent said they essentially just stock the lot with the reserved cars. No classic aisle experience so to speak.

I got a Jeep. And after 3 days on the big island...I can say (and this is for me/IMO) it really is not needed for 90% of the sights. And for the 10% of places you want to use 4wd...rental car agreement would be violated anyway (of course this does not stop tons of rentals from going up Mauna Kea or going down Waipio Valley).

Looked like they shared a stock lot with next door Enterprise as well

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.