Search

2010 Dodge Charger SXT Ride Report

Search this Thread

Old Apr 25, 2010, 11:55 pm
Moderator: New York City and FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA PLT, Natl EC
Post 2010 Dodge Charger SXT Ride Report

I see these frequently in the Executive Selection and occasionally in the Emerald Aisle and haven't driven one yet (for a ride report on the 2008 model, see here), so I picked one up with 3K miles at LAX the other day and did some LA-style city (read: suburban anywhere else) driving:

Overview: Despite the sporty, muscle car exterior, this Fullsize (FCAR) is a pretty vanilla-flavored ride that feels like a sedan, with average acceleration and handling and lousy fuel ecomony.

Handling: The 3.5L V6 gives adequate pickup with 4-speed automatic transmission. Cornering and handling felt solid on the windy roads in Palos Verdes. Despite the muscle car exterior, it’s a fairly quiet ride. Sight lines were generally very good horizontally and vertically, although the rear post on the passenger side obstructed my view of the blind spot a bit more than I’d like.

Features: Sirius satellite radio, 8-way power driver’s seat only with manual lumbar handle, basic climate control, fog lights, minimal trip computer with odometer only – no MPG or compass (same as the Chrysler 300 Touring).

Mileage: Manually calculated at 11 mpg city. Fuel tank door is on the driver’s side. No ‘slack’ at the top of the fuel gauge, so anything close to, but less than full will show up accurately as such.

Space: Driver’s seat was comfortable for me at 6-ft tall. The back seat is average sized, and might be a little cramped for tall people. The trunk looks like it would comfortably fit 4 rollaboards or two larger suitcases and some additional bags.

dstanridereport

Last edited by dstan; Apr 26, 2010 at 12:27 am Reason: photos added
Old Apr 26, 2010, 6:51 am

Nice house

The interior looks especially craptacular! Thanks for the detailed review.
Old Apr 26, 2010, 7:57 pm

Programs: United, Southwest, Hertz, Starwood, Best Western
Nice ride report, Pics are always nice!! 3.5L V6 with 4 speed automatic transmission?? Are you sure it isn't a 1980 Dodge Charger? My 4 cylinder Accord has a 5 speed automatic trans, for God's sake.

I will be traveling for the first time in awhile to SFO next week, but renting with Hertz (under 25 no surcharge and gold canopy). I hope Hertz doesn't stick me with one of these for my rental.
Old Apr 27, 2010, 4:47 pm
Original Poster

Yep, 4-speed automatic. Apparently the SXT AWD model has 5-speed.

http://www.dodge.com/hostc/vsmc/vehi...Code=CUD201004
Old Apr 28, 2010, 10:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
Those things are still heavy, old M-B cars so don't expect good mileage. I think they're 1/2 ton heavier than a Corvette which has a larger engine to boot (difference being the size of an old econobox engine, mid-size these days) .
Old Apr 28, 2010, 4:12 pm

Programs: WN Nothing and spending the half million points from too many flights, Hilton Diamond
Are Chargers the New Taurus?

As I was leaving the hotel for work yesterday, there were three identical silver Chargers, parked side by side in the hotel parking lot. This morning there were four plus a gray one. One of the other drivers was getting into his as I was getting into mine. He confirmed it was a National rental. These may be the new Taurus, the ubiquitous FS of the 90's!

Just filled up the recent rental. 10.4 gallons, 170 miles, 16.4 MPG for mostly congested suburban driving, with 40 miles on congested interstate highways.

Last edited by InkUnderNails; Apr 29, 2010 at 6:06 pm Reason: Added MPG info
Old Apr 29, 2010, 7:34 pm

Programs: National EE, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold
I also had one of these recently and averaged 24 MPG on mostly highway driving. I was surprised how quiet the interior was at speed, but I was annoyed by the limited vertical visibility (ie traffic lights) due to the short windshield (I'm 6'+). Trunk also seemed very large.
Old Apr 29, 2010, 8:28 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by InsipidMonkey
I also had one of these recently and averaged 24 MPG on mostly highway driving. I was surprised how quiet the interior was at speed, but I was annoyed by the limited vertical visibility (ie traffic lights) due to the short windshield (I'm 6'+). Trunk also seemed very large.
I'm the same height and didn't notice it that much (in contrast to some other cars), but maybe it's just the area in which I was driving. Good to know that the highway mileage is a bit better, although still short of much of the rest of the fleet.
Old May 8, 2010, 8:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold, DL SM, HY Disc, Marriott LT Gold
How are the blind spots in the 2010 model? I find that with the seat way back the blind spots in the 2009 model were pretty significant on both sides.
Old May 8, 2010, 9:10 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ElmhurstNick
How are the blind spots in the 2010 model? I find that with the seat way back the blind spots in the 2009 model were pretty significant on both sides.
In terms of the mirrors, I didn't notice it being particularly good or bad, but the rear right post that I mentioned did make it tougher to check on the passenger side.
Old May 8, 2010, 10:35 pm

Originally Posted by ElmhurstNick
I don't think it's been redesigned for 2010..?
Old Jul 5, 2010, 2:21 pm

Programs: HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by InsipidMonkey
I also had one of these recently and averaged 24 MPG on mostly highway driving.
I just drove one for a week and averaged 24 MPG with a lot of interstate driving. I found the instrument cluster annoying difficult to view with the steering wheel properly adjusted for my height.

John
Old Jul 16, 2010, 11:36 am

Programs: WN Nothing and spending the half million points from too many flights, Hilton Diamond
Dallas, this week, 4.25 gallons to fill up, 40 miles. 10 MPG.

Oops, ya'think maybe the tank was not full when I picked up?
Old Jul 19, 2010, 5:20 am

Programs: EY-Gold LH-SEN AA-Gold HHonors-Gold National-ES
Had the 300 (Touring) from LAX, that handled like a boat and felt like a boat(similar driving to the OP).

Also had a Charger SXT in Dallas not long after, handled great on the road but still felt like a boat. I also had a similar situation at the gas pump - just under 3 gallons for 30 odd miles

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.