Search

Cars at HOU (Houston Hobby Airport)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 19, 2010, 12:49 pm
Moderator: New York City and FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA PLT, Natl EC
Cars at HOU (Houston Hobby Airport)

Picked up at HOU (Houston Hobby) on Friday afternoon. I had a Premium Emerald Reserve reservation with a Fullsize Emerald Exec backup reservation (some may recall the glitches and manual intervention with the Premium reservation discussed here previously). Although I took my car from the Premium section and gave the agent my Premium reservation documents, she ended up charging me on the (slightly cheaper) Fullsize reservation anyways (PXAR at ICAR rate). So, if you don't like what you see on the Aisle, it's probably worth asking what else is available.

Beyond the numerous SUVs, I did see the following on the Emerald Aisle:

1 Chevy Impala LT
1 Chevy Malibu LT

In the Premium section it was more SUVs or:

2 Chrysler 300 Touring

The shuttle bus seems to run pretty frequently and is about a 5-min ride from the terminal. Those with Emerald Club and Emerald Reserve reservations are dropped off in the lot first, with everyone else continuing to the counter.
Old Apr 19, 2010, 2:01 pm

That's weird, I could've sworn we had a thread for Hobby, but I guess not.
Old Apr 19, 2010, 3:18 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by drzoidberg
That's weird, I could've sworn we had a thread for Hobby, but I guess not.
Searching for 'HOU' only turned up a 2001 thread, so I figured I'd start anew.
Old May 20, 2010, 11:07 am

Programs: riding the lifetime status. DL MM / AA MM
picked up last wednesday evening at the HOU emerald aisle:
- sebring
- avenger
- malibu
- couple of little SUV's
- prius

took the prius. it had 3 miles on the odometer.
Old May 20, 2010, 5:00 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Seat1A
took the prius. it had 3 miles on the odometer.
Nice! ^
Old Jul 19, 2010, 9:08 pm

Programs: WN Nothing and spending the half million points from too many flights, Hilton Diamond
Today at HOU, ES section, four cars, the inevitable Charger, a Malibu(?) an Expedition and a Patriot. Took the Patriot. They drove up with a Sequoia as I was leaving. Aisle: 4 HHR's. I did not check the regular sections, but the lot was almost empty.
Old Jul 30, 2010, 7:28 pm

Went at 4pm on a Friday. The lot was almost empty, but the line of incoming cars was completely full. Looked like a smorgasbord of stuff if I would have waited or come later.

I booked a mid-size at Emerald Aisle level. There was a single HHR on the entire isle. The midsize isle had an HHR & a Kia Soul. I asked if there were any other cars available. The National counter shares a site with Budget and she offered me an Avenger or Charger (Or another HHR) from that isle. I politely declined and asked if there was anything else. She asked her manager, and then told me I could take something off the premium isle. There were 5 vehicles: two 300s, two Grand Marquis, and a Buick Lucerne. I checked the Buick first, only 56 miles on it, but it smelled like smoke so I opted for a 300 Touring with 900 miles.

I was a little disappointed at the selection, but can't be too upset at getting a 300 for $12 a day. They were very helpful and friendly at the counter and check out though, so overall good experience, but very disappointing selection.
Old Aug 3, 2010, 3:41 am

Programs: EY-Gold LH-SEN AA-Gold HHonors-Gold National-ES
I have found the HOU EA and ES inventory sparse almost every time I've been there.

I think alot of their cars tend to end up at IAH.
Old Apr 2, 2012, 10:03 pm

Programs: DL FO, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by openflync
I have found the HOU EA and ES inventory sparse almost every time I've been there.

I think alot of their cars tend to end up at IAH.
This has not changed. Sometimes they have 5 or less vehicles, sometimes all minivans.
Old Oct 23, 2012, 1:46 pm

Programs: I fly for free.
Update from this past Sunday:

ES - Avalons, Chargers, Malibus, Kia Optima, Captiva, Impalas

Premium - 4x300 + 1x300C (which I took on a one way to DAL).
Upgrade - Volvo S60, Buick Verano, Ford Flex
Old Nov 1, 2012, 6:49 am

10/26:EA 2 Impalas, A 200 (which I took only 234 miles), Avenger, 2 Captivas(1 with the hood up), Patriot, Chevy Colorado
ES: Avalon, Equinox, Journey
10/29:EA 2 Caravans, Avenger
ES: Sienna
Old Nov 27, 2012, 1:11 pm

Programs: SPG Gold, National Exec, WN A/CP
Thanksgiving Weekend (arrival Wed)
Was surprised to find the EA and ES aisles completely full. We even had a private bus to and from the lot.

Mostly Malibus and Impalas in ES. Several nondescript SUVs as well. Took a newish GMC Terrain with 2K miles. They did bring up a brand new 2013 Malibu LTZ which I wanted to try but the Mrs wanted an SUV to haul our stuff...

About the same when I returned. Premium was full of 300s and the like.
Old Jul 30, 2013, 2:53 pm

Programs: Skymiles, AAdvantage, MileagePlus, Emerald Executive, Priority Club
Any updates on what's available on the ES at HOU these days? I'll be renting from there this week...

Thx
Old Dec 13, 2013, 7:58 am

Originally Posted by AdamS
This has not changed. Sometimes they have 5 or less vehicles, sometimes all minivans.
Rented from HOU on September 7, 2013. I was expecting the worst given past reports, but the EA was fully stocked. Literally dozens of cars... Impalas, Malibus, SUVs, vans... I wound up taking a Fusion.

ES looked fully stocked too, but I didn't make a note of what was over there.

Either something has changed or this location is very hit-or-miss.
Old Feb 7, 2014, 7:18 am

The lot is fully under construction right now and is a complete mess. It's impossible to say where the EA or the ES actually is. Fortunately, there was a manager awaiting the bus who directed me to a new Tahoe. Not my first choice in vehicles, but there were quite a few folks awaiting cars, so I was willing to take anything to get on my way. The Tahoe now lives at IAH, though.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.