Community
Wiki Posts
Search

5,000 NW Miles for FREE WP Gold US Bank Visa Check Card

Search this Thread

Old Feb 20, 2009, 7:48 pm
Original Poster

5,000 NW Miles for FREE WP Gold US Bank Visa Check Card

I recieved a mailer (click here to view it) in my statement this past week, announcing US Bank has eliminated all annual fees on its Worldperks Visa Check Cards for 2009. Both the standard and the gold cards are now free of charge. The lesser card provides a 4000 mile bonus and 0.5 mi/$, and the gold card a 5000 mile bonus and 1 mi/$.

I have called in to US Bank and they have confirmed this is not a targeted offer, and anyone is eligible to recieve the card at no annual fee. Their website still states a $55 annual fee, but I was told the website has not been updated yet to reflect the new promotion.

These cards are likely to be phased out this year as NWA slowly becomes Delta. Grab this 5,000 mile bonus while you can. There are no terms (other than making your first non-PIN purchase) in order to get the 5000 mile bonus.

The agent I spoke with told me that "we'll begin resuming annual fees in 2010", though I highly doubt US Bank will offer these cards at that point, so this is a non-issue.

A good way to boost your NWA or DL accounts, free of charge.

Canadians, you are eligible to open a US Bank account if you go in with your passport. So, grab this promo while you can.

If anyone needs to confirm these details, call US Bank at 1-888-USBANKS

-RTM
Old Feb 20, 2009, 8:18 pm

Programs: AA-UA-AS IHG-SPG-Carlson
here is a link to the gold card.
http://www.usbank.com/cgi_w/cfm/chec....cfm?cid=5&p=1

As you say, it shows 5000 miles for $55 fee, not so attractive,
but at free, a better value @:-), so gave it a shot.

I chose "free checking" option.
Filled in the usual, and $50 transfer from another bank:

within 60 seconds it said:
You have been APPROVED for the following product...
1. Free Checking
2. WorldPerks® Visa® Gold Check Card

I couldn't find any mention of fee to close the account later...

Thanks roadtripman ^

Last edited by MrHalliday; Feb 20, 2009 at 8:48 pm
Old Feb 20, 2009, 8:33 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum AA Platinum UA Dirt Grey Marriott Ambassador Hyatt Globalist
Thanks !

I will certainly consider this as HSBC sucks in the US
Old Feb 20, 2009, 9:37 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MrHalliday
here is a link to the gold card.
http://www.usbank.com/cgi_w/cfm/chec....cfm?cid=5&p=1

As you say, it shows 5000 miles for $55 fee, not so attractive,
but at free, a better value @:-), so gave it a shot.

I chose "free checking" option.
Filled in the usual, and $50 transfer from another bank:

within 60 seconds it said:
You have been APPROVED for the following product...
1. Free Checking
2. WorldPerks® Visa® Gold Check Card

I couldn't find any mention of fee to close the account later...

Thanks roadtripman ^
I'd call in to make sure that the card will be issued for free. I'd hate to see the website charge you for the card. I called in to get mine.
Old Feb 20, 2009, 9:53 pm

Programs: AA-UA-AS IHG-SPG-Carlson
Originally Posted by roadtripman
I'd call in to make sure that the card will be issued for free. I'd hate to see the website charge you for the card. I called in to get mine.
OK, probably a good precaution.

They may have a hard time charging me $55,
with only $50 opening deposit...

then again, that could generate more fees for them!
Definitely a dangerous game.

FWIW I printed out your jpg of the mailer.
Thanx again.
Old Feb 20, 2009, 10:00 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MrHalliday
OK, probably a good precaution.

They may have a hard time charging me $55,
with only $50 opening deposit...

then again, that could generate more fees for them!
Definitely a dangerous game.

FWIW I printed out your jpg of the mailer.
Thanx again.
Nah, they can't charge you for the check card until its activated. Don't sweat it. Just call in and verify its a free card - it will be, as per the mailer.
Old Feb 20, 2009, 10:32 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond, SPG Platinum
Good to go!

I called them on the phone and they confirmed that there will be a credit check required for this account to open, even though it is not a credit card account. I think they do it for ID vertification, etc.

Last edited by sjuhawk_jd; Feb 21, 2009 at 9:24 am Reason: Clarification
Old Feb 21, 2009, 12:23 am

Programs: OnePass, MilesPlus, AAdvantage, SkyMiles (unfortunately), PC Plat, HH Silver, Marriott Aluminium
Thanks for the heads up on this little deal.
Not sure if this is a dumb question or not but I have to ask to make sure. Applying for this card won't involve a pull on your credit will it? I wouldn't think so but when it comes to my credit I can't be too careful. Thanks.
Old Feb 21, 2009, 12:31 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by brasov02
Thanks for the heads up on this little deal.
Not sure if this is a dumb question or not but I have to ask to make sure. Applying for this card won't involve a pull on your credit will it? I wouldn't think so but when it comes to my credit I can't be too careful. Thanks.
Not that I know of - I have no American credit whatsoever and I recieved it (and opened the bank account) with no problems.
Old Feb 21, 2009, 1:52 am

Programs: DL Diamond, ANA Platinum
By resuming annual fees in 2010, does that mean for new accounts only, or for existing accounts? In other words, this isn't just a free first year offer in disguise?
Old Feb 21, 2009, 2:08 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by FireEmblemPride
By resuming annual fees in 2010, does that mean for new accounts only, or for existing accounts? In other words, this isn't just a free first year offer in disguise?
The offer says they've "elimated annual fees for 2009" (likely because this is the last year they'll be offering the card, and they want to maximize sign ups before it dies out). This is a one-year only offer, as I understood from my banking agent. He told me that annual fees would resume "January 1st" but that I'd recieve "a few weeks warning".
Old Mar 2, 2009, 3:57 pm

Hi all,

I had applied for a free checking account and a Visa Gold Check Card online. I called to verify that the annual fee had been waived for 2009. Much to my surprise, I was told that there is no fee ONLY for the Visa Check Card (which accrues 1 mile for every two dollars spent). For the Visa Gold Check Card (which accrues 1 mile for every two dollars spent), the annual fee is still applicable. Further they can change my Gold card request to the standard "no fee" card after I have signed and sent back the registration card. Maybe the "no fee" for a Gold card was a targeted offer. In any event, since I don't intend to use the card much after the first "no-pin" transaction, it is worthwhile to open the free checking account with $50, make a purchase using the card as a credit card and then forget about it.

If anyone gets a different version of the story from one of their agents, let us all know. Thanks.
Old Mar 2, 2009, 4:05 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by RameshK
Hi all,

I had applied for a free checking account and a Visa Gold Check Card online. I called to verify that the annual fee had been waived for 2009. Much to my surprise, I was told that there is no fee ONLY for the Visa Check Card (which accrues 1 mile for every two dollars spent). For the Visa Gold Check Card (which accrues 1 mile for every two dollars spent), the annual fee is still applicable. Further they can change my Gold card request to the standard "no fee" card after I have signed and sent back the registration card. Maybe the "no fee" for a Gold card was a targeted offer. In any event, since I don't intend to use the card much after the first "no-pin" transaction, it is worthwhile to open the free checking account with $50, make a purchase using the card as a credit card and then forget about it.

If anyone gets a different version of the story from one of their agents, let us all know. Thanks.
Your agent is obviously misinformed - call back and ask for a Supervisor. I've repeatedly asked to make sure my gold card was fee-free and I've been told "your next billing for the annual fee is Jan 2010", and that this year was no charge. This is NOT a well known promotion at the bank, and most agent seemed puzzled by it and hadn't heard about it, but after investigating it, they all come back with the same answer: I'm good to go.

The mailer includes the gold card with no annual fee (as well as the gold business card). Click here to view it:

Image: US Bank No Annual Fee Mailer Insert

If you get charged for whatever reason, refer them to their own mailer. They're the ones offering it.

I don't know if it was targeted or not - not sure why they'd choose me, a Canadian who rarely if ever uses his USA debit card. Most agents I've spoken with called this a public offer.

In any case - why not just tell the agent you recieved a mailer? Can they prove that you didn't?

Last edited by roadtripman; Mar 2, 2009 at 4:10 pm
Old Mar 2, 2009, 7:38 pm

Originally Posted by roadtripman
Not that I know of - I have no American credit whatsoever and I recieved it (and opened the bank account) with no problems.
How did you open the account without a SSN? I would like to open one as a Canadian.
Old Mar 2, 2009, 8:51 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SirJman
How did you open the account without a SSN? I would like to open one as a Canadian.
I walked into a branch with a passport. I do have an American SSN, but I did not have one at the time I opened the account in 2006, so it's a non-issue (unless something has changed).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.