Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > MilesBuzz
Reload this Page >

Isn't Buying and Selling Miles Illegal???

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 16, 2004, 7:07 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, *wood Plat

I was always under the impression that buying or selling miles is against all the airlines terms and conditions. However I found the website "www.frequentflyerdepot.com", where they claim to buy and sell miles. Their opening line reads:

"Welcome to Frequent Flyer Depot. We are the premiere online brokerage of frequent flyer miles and air rewards."

How can this be okay?
Old Dec 16, 2004, 8:20 am
Flyertalk Evangelist and Moderator: Coupon Connection and Travel Products

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum Elite, Hyatt Discoverist, Radisson Elite
Just because it is on the internet, does not mean it is OKAY...

I do not know of any plan that allows an individual to sell their miles or points to others.

William
Old Dec 16, 2004, 8:36 am
Original Member

No, it is not illegal. Against *some* program rules, but not illegal.
Old Dec 16, 2004, 8:44 am
Original Poster

I didn't say I want to participate, I just wanted to understand how they can do this?
Old Dec 16, 2004, 9:35 am

It is a double standard. Airlines sell miles all the time to people / companies that they want to sell them to. They do not want you to sell the miles in your own personal account so they don't allow that.
Old Dec 16, 2004, 9:36 am

Programs: HH Gold, Hyatt Plat, AA Gold
Any one have experience with these sites?

I also ran across a site that sells FF miles at sellyourpoints.com. Anyone have any experiences with this or a similar site?
Old Dec 16, 2004, 9:48 am

Location: (not Montana. Nor is my name really Helena, nor am I female)
Programs: Delta, USAirways, Starwood, Priority Club, Marriott, Amex
I have no personal experience with miles brokers like the ones mentioned here, but I've read in other threads here on FlyerTalk that using one is a good way to attract the miles police of your respective airline and get a substantial fine (in miles) to your account, or even have your account terminated altogether. To be fair, there are some in the posts I've read who question the motives of those who write about such "horror stories."
Old Dec 16, 2004, 10:07 am
Original Poster

Forgetting the "Sell" part of the equation. Say, I needed an additional 2000 miles for an award, why would I go to a broker and not the airline directly. I can't imagine the broker would be less expensive. So I don't get the buy part, do you?
Old Dec 16, 2004, 10:30 am
dr

Well it is interesting that even within the programs they are starting to loosen up.

See Delta below:
Delta Air Lines’ SkyMiles® Program Announces Mileage Transfer Feature

Limited-time offer allows members to share miles for upgrades, award travel

ATLANTA, Nov. 17, 2004 – Delta Air Lines (NYSE: DAL) is making it simpler and easier for customers to share SkyMiles as part of its customer-focused transformation. Now SkyMiles frequent flier program members in the United States and Canada can transfer miles to friends and family members at delta.com/transfermiles. Through Jan. 31, 2005, members may transfer miles in increments of 1,000 miles, with a minimum transfer of 5,000 miles.

“Our members asked us to find a way to share miles with each other,” said Christine Pierce, Delta’s director of Partnership Marketing. “This new online feature allows members to transfer miles, making it easier to reach award levels for travel on the more than 14,000 flights offered on Delta and our airline partners.”

Transferred miles may be used toward award travel, upgrades and Crown Room Club membership, but they do not count toward Medallion or Million Miler status. To transfer miles, one must have the recipient’s SkyMiles program account number. The transferred miles will be withdrawn and deposited within seven business days of the request.

A fee of $.01 per mile, in addition to a $25 processing fee, will be assessed for each transaction. An additional $1.75 Goods and Services Tax is charged for Canadian residents who transfer miles to another member.

Customers also may purchase miles from Delta online as a gift for friends and family at delta.com/buymiles. Customers do not need to be a SkyMiles program member to purchase miles for others.

Delta SkyMiles program members earn miles by flying Delta, Song, Delta Shuttle, Delta Connection, Delta AirElite, SkyTeam partners and the worldwide partners. The program offers additional mileage-building opportunities through SkyMiles partners such as the Delta SkyMiles Credit Card from American Express, SkyMilesShopping.com, participating hotels, car rental companies, telecommunication services, restaurants, floral and gift retailers and financial, mortgage and realty services.

Delta Air Lines is proud to celebrate its 75th anniversary in 2004. Delta is the world’s second-largest airline in terms of passengers carried and the leading U.S. carrier across the Atlantic, offering daily flights to 496 destinations in 88 countries on Delta, Song, Delta Shuttle, the Delta Connection carriers and its worldwide partners. Delta's marketing alliances allow customers to earn and redeem frequent flier miles on more than 14,000 flights offered by SkyTeam and other partners. Delta is a founding member of SkyTeam, a global airline alliance that provides customers with extensive worldwide destinations, flights and services. For more information, please visit delta.com.

Terms and Conditions:

All Delta SkyMiles Program rules and conditions apply. The sale or barter of mileage credit by SkyMiles members is prohibited. Members may transfer a maximum of 50,000 miles out of an account each year to other members; Members may receive up to 10,000 transferred miles in their account annually. All fees for miles transferred using the SkyMiles Transfer Program are non-refundable. All mileage transfers are final and cannot be reversed. Additional terms and conditions may be found at delta.com/transfermiles.

Originally Posted by jkfb1
I was always under the impression that buying or selling miles is against all the airlines terms and conditions. However I found the website "www.frequentflyerdepot.com", where they claim to buy and sell miles. Their opening line reads:

"Welcome to Frequent Flyer Depot. We are the premiere online brokerage of frequent flyer miles and air rewards."

How can this be okay?
Old Dec 18, 2004, 9:30 am
Suspended

I have sold miles. Go ahead, check my file. See how I have "given" tickets to people of different last names and with names that sound like they are from a different ethnic background.
My name is not Santa Claus, it is Frank.
My AAdvantage account is CM129xx
Try and find me, Gerald Arpey, CEO of AMR!
Old Dec 18, 2004, 12:51 pm
Original Poster

I'm assuming from your post that you "gave away" these tickets, privately and not through a broker. Am I correct?
Old Dec 18, 2004, 2:44 pm
Suspended

Programs: undisclosed airline
Originally Posted by seat 50J
I have sold miles. Go ahead, check my file. See how I have "given" tickets to people of different last names and with names that sound like they are from a different ethnic background.
My name is not Santa Claus, it is Frank.
My AAdvantage account is CM129xx
Try and find me, Gerald Arpey, CEO of AMR!
This is not funny.
Frank, you are on notice. If you do this on our airline, we will take every measure to cancel all your miles in your account. Do not mess with us.
Old Dec 18, 2004, 3:10 pm

Not someone who says they're official, registered today and only has one post!

No, please no, mister mean offcial person.

We fear you much!

(All of FT shakes with fear!!)
Old Dec 18, 2004, 3:28 pm

Programs: AC SE, BA silver
Originally Posted by jkfb1

How can this be okay?
As it's been mentioned, it's not illegal but it's against the programs policies. In practice, buying from a broker doesn't make any sense: prices are usually very expensive (it's cheaper to buy a ticket, at least if you're an informed FTer) and you risk losing all of your miles AND being forced to pay full fare. If you need fast cash and don't mind the risk of losing all of your miles, selling to a broker might be an option, but only if you're in a quite desperate situation.
Old Dec 18, 2004, 3:55 pm

Not only is the buying/selling of awards against airline rules but bartering is also against their rules. God help you if you offer to buy/sell awards here on FT as your head will roll if reported, however if you barter nicely you're considered a valuable/respected member of the FT community.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.