Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Plan to send mom on trip -I want the miles

Search this Thread

Old May 2, 2016, 11:50 pm
Original Poster

Plan to send mom on trip -I want the miles

For my mom's upcoming birthday, I intend to purchase her airfare for an upcoming trip to Europe -however, I would like to collect the mileage (star alliance) myself, as I'm purchasing the the ticket, although not travelling.

What is the best way to do this?
thanks
Old May 3, 2016, 12:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 1.7 M, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*, AARP Sophomore, 14-time Croix de Candlestick
Originally Posted by madamovics
For my mom's upcoming birthday, I intend to purchase her airfare for an upcoming trip to Europe -however, I would like to collect the mileage (star alliance) myself, as I'm purchasing the the ticket, although not travelling. What is the best way to do this?
thanks
You cannot.

Miles are earned by the person flying - it doesn't matter who pays (this is where the term "butt in seat" comes from).
Old May 3, 2016, 7:23 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by madamovics
What is the best way to do this?
There is no way (neither best nor worst), unless you change your name to hers. Miles accrue to the traveller (not the buyer).
Old May 3, 2016, 7:37 am

Originally Posted by Non-NonRev
You cannot.

Miles are earned by the person flying - it doesn't matter who pays (this is where the term "butt in seat" comes from).
Originally Posted by LondonElite
There is no way (neither best nor worst), unless you change your name to hers. Miles accrue to the traveller (not the buyer).
With the exception of programs which have a family pooling account. To bad SK just shut down that perk. Not sure there are any *A FFPs around which allow family pooling, but if OP can find one, that would be the only way to go (or they have by accident the same name...)
Old May 3, 2016, 8:16 am

Programs: AA Gold. UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
TK has a program for family sharing. http://www.turkishairlines.com/en-in...ily-is-smiling
Old May 3, 2016, 4:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Massachusetts, USA; AA Plat, DL GM and Flying Colonel; Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by LondonElite
Better: she should change her name to yours, if you already have the account in your name.
Old May 4, 2016, 7:10 am

Location: Cary, NC, USA - AA Plt 3mm/DL Dia 2mm, Hil/Dia Life, Bonvoy/Titanium Life, Spire
Go ahead and set up an ff account in her name. If she passes, AA and United will allow a beneficiary to inherit miles, Delta will not (2013 data). I got my mom a Delta Amex card and using accrued and bonus credit card miles, was able to get a award roundtrip to Tokyo for 70,000 ff miles using her account, which went to one of mom's friends. She, in turn thought it was worth at least $1000 gift back to my mom. Mom likes to share gifts with me. Everybody's happy.

-outoftown
Old May 4, 2016, 9:38 am

If you're based in TPE, EVA allows a set number of free transfers to a fixed list of nominees Set up your mother, transfer the miles over to yourself.

Otherwise, agreed on a household account being the easiest. On A*, I'm only aware of Aegean, ANA, Asiana, Turkish.
Old May 4, 2016, 9:52 am

ANA has family plans as well. Just used it to book 6 of us to Japan in biz.
Old May 5, 2016, 10:57 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Before opening a family account, be sure to read the rules carefully, including each airline's own definition of who can be considered family. The terms are not the same across programs.
Old May 6, 2016, 1:56 am

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Before opening a family account, be sure to read the rules carefully, including each airline's own definition of who can be considered family. The terms are not the same across programs.
I would very surprised if my mother(!) wouldn't be considered part of my family by common sense... but then we are talking about airlines and sadly you're right. There are some caveats like 'all persons need to live at the same address', limited to some age or similar nasty constraints.
Old May 6, 2016, 7:41 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by fassy
I would very surprised if my mother(!) wouldn't be considered part of my family by common sense... but then we are talking about airlines and sadly you're right. There are some caveats like 'all persons need to live at the same address', limited to some age or similar nasty constraints.
IIRC KE only lets you redeem miles for "family" award tickets, defined as spouse and children. Engaged couples can't even combine miles for a honeymoon trip.
Old May 8, 2016, 11:58 pm

Programs: Motel 6 Super Diamond
Originally Posted by fassy
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
IIRC KE only lets you redeem miles for "family" award tickets, defined as spouse and children. Engaged couples can't even combine miles for a honeymoon trip.
Yes, not only airlines but many companies don't treat parents as 'family' for the purposes such as these. Having said that, for KE I'm not 100% sure but I think I was able to redeem miles for my mom but again my memory is a bit hazy.
Old May 9, 2016, 7:27 am

Caveat for some of these programs that allow family members to pool is that miles expire (which is usually not the case in US-based FFP)
Old May 9, 2016, 9:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by s0ssos
Caveat for some of these programs that allow family members to pool is that miles expire (which is usually not the case in US-based FFP)
And for a list of airlines with the expiration summary (and in most case link to details) for each, see the Wikipost at the top of this thread in MilesBuzz:
To be more precise, I think what you meant to say is that some of these programs have a "hard" (non-extendable) expiration, while US-based FFPs that have expiration usually have easy / low-cost ways to extend that expiration indefinitely (what is known as "soft" expiration).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.