Wiki Posts
Search

UNITED, 940,000 MILES and counting

Search this Thread

Old Jun 13, 2015, 12:02 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP
UNITED, 940,000 MILES and counting

SFO and LAX based, anyone see any deals so I can top this off,within the next 6 months? i'm retired so have lots of time.
Thanks
Old Jun 13, 2015, 12:09 pm
Original Member, Moderator: Hotel Deals and MilesBuzz

You may want to regularly monitor this forum: Mileage Run Deals
Old Jun 13, 2015, 1:39 pm

Do you have the personal and business UA credit cards? Have you received miles from fidelity?

It does feel good when you account reaches 1 million. Others disagree and talk of devaluation but I need high balances for multiple people to take FC trips.
Old Jun 13, 2015, 3:35 pm
Moderator: Travel Buzz

I'm jealous!
Old Jun 13, 2015, 5:32 pm

I am about 20K short of 1M

Hopefully will get there in 3 months or so.
Old Jun 17, 2015, 6:51 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond-Marriott Platinum-life
Originally Posted by sfsilverbear
SFO and LAX based, anyone see any deals so I can top this off,within the next 6 months? i'm retired so have lots of time.
Thanks
Shouldn't it be "and spending and enjoying my award trips on United"
Old Jun 17, 2015, 9:38 pm

re

not if he's trying to get to Hawaii....every business class award I can find for the next year (from DFW) has "mixed cabin" with the long segment only available in coach...I refuse to believe that all the first class seats to Hawaii are sold a year in advance....it's just UA making your points useless for that particular award....cant wait to go to Europe and finally burn some of these horribly useless points...I have had over 150k for a few years and cant find a good use for them, even with their hub so close award routings are always unavailable, overnight connections, 2+ stops with the worst choices of any of the major airlines....do you have to have status to get a decent award route?
Old Jun 17, 2015, 10:42 pm
Suspended

I'm finding the "mixed-cabin" BS quite frequently as well. I hate it.
Old Jun 18, 2015, 9:11 am

Originally Posted by wise2u
not if he's trying to get to Hawaii....every business class award I can find for the next year (from DFW) has "mixed cabin" with the long segment only available in coach...I refuse to believe that all the first class seats to Hawaii are sold a year in advance....it's just UA making your points useless for that particular award....cant wait to go to Europe and finally burn some of these horribly useless points...I have had over 150k for a few years and cant find a good use for them, even with their hub so close award routings are always unavailable, overnight connections, 2+ stops with the worst choices of any of the major airlines....do you have to have status to get a decent award route?
I disagree. I think United miles are great. My wife and I went on our month-long honeymoon in January. We were able to fly direct EWR --> NRT then
NRT--> CHC direct, CHC--> SYD direct (paid flight $200 each for open jaw), SYD-->RAR direct then RAR-->AUK direct and finally AUK-->LAX-->EWR. All this for 160,000 and $400 in fees. This is incredible value as all those flights would have probably cost $10,000 or more.
Old Jun 18, 2015, 9:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by BillyBaloney
I'm finding the "mixed-cabin" BS quite frequently as well. I hate it.
Every mixed-cabin award I ever booked cleared from the waitlist (UA metal only) well before the flight.
Old Jun 18, 2015, 6:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Wrong forum - maybe better placed in UA.

Personally I don't see why you would pay extra to earn lifetime status if you aren't flying enough to get value from the Gold perks. Mileage runs don't make much sense anymore in a revenue-based program, except to top off EQM. If you are just looking to pad your account balance, there are many better methods than mileage runs.

That being said, you will likely find the best deals in the slow autumn season - $300 RT to Hawaii which can earn an easy 5k EQM. Also watch for SFO-LHR which earns 10k EQM. But again, is it really worth spending money and torturing yourself in E- if you aren't planning to enjoy the destination?
Old Jun 19, 2015, 4:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks
For clarity, are you talking about redeemable miles, or lifetime miles?
Old Jun 20, 2015, 1:03 am

Programs: UA Lifetime GS 4mm
Thanks
Originally Posted by josephstern
For clarity, are you talking about redeemable miles, or lifetime miles?
OP refers to lifetime status miles [earned by flying eqm], not redeemable miles [rdm] which can be obtained through non-flying methods like credit card spend [e.g. Mfg spend techniques].
UA significantly diminished MM status benefits when they took away the guaranteed annual 2x RPU even if you don't fly, and implemented revenue-based status.
But UA MM status still gives you lifetime gold [good for intl travel access to *A lounges] and can designate MM companion.

See
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...ts-2014-a.html

Since OP want to go for MM status by 2015 end, it means flying ~60k eqm miles by finding cheap routes on UA primarily. Note that you may find ~20k eqm RT flights to get status, but earning UA rdm on long-distance routes radically dropped on March 1 [unlike AA so far which still allow you to earn 100% rdm even on cheapest fares], to 5 mile/$ for general members. Lowest priced UA fares earn even less than 5 mile/$

Last edited by npei; Jun 20, 2015 at 3:54 am
Old Jun 20, 2015, 2:28 pm

Programs: Lufthansa
Originally Posted by wise2u
.....have 678,000 to burn, but have found the same problem as you, exactly!!
Old Jun 21, 2015, 10:17 am

Programs: WN A+ CP, UA 1MM/*A Gold, Mar LT Tit, IHG Plat, HH Dia
I was in a situation similar to the OP a few years ago. I was at about 970k lifetime EQM with UA. I'd earned the bulk of those miles in the previous 6 years from heavy job-related travel, but with a new job my travel was reduced dramatically. Earning the remaining 30k could take 2-3 years. I thought about pushing it with MRs and discretionary trips to hit the 1MM target sooner. After careful consideration I decided the 1MM status benefits, while nice, simply were not worth the cost of MRs. I decided to let 1MM happen naturally. I reached the mark 18 months later and had no regrets.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.