Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > MilesBuzz
Reload this Page >

AA miles so much more useful than UA miles?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AA miles so much more useful than UA miles?

Search this Thread

Old May 26, 2015, 9:13 pm

Programs: AS MVP
OP lives in NYC where every alliance and program has hubs and awards, across the board, are generally available. So for them it comes down to price. Starting from a secondary airport with 4 travelers, we rarely have a choice. We collect in all the programs, plan to have to take positioning flights on separate awards, and make it work.

On their own, all the programs suck. That's how Capital One gets new customers.
Old May 26, 2015, 9:33 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
It ebbs and flows over the years as well as the destinations that everyone has pointed out already.

My biggest problem with AA is that their biggest European partner is pretty much off the board for award usage. That creates a huge hole in the middle of the program for me. I get the frustration with not being able to get LH F with UA, but compared to having to avoid BA almost entirely, it pales in comparison.

My other current problem with AA is that their integration with US is as clunky and poorly thought through from a technology perspective as one could possibly imagine. Thankfully this should eventually pass.

AA is stronger to South America and the Caribbean. Maybe even a little better to Asia. I think at the end of the day, you have to play two or even three of the big alliances since they all have sweet spots that the others don't.

Our family trip this summer is 5x30k one-way awards on AA/US and 5x30k one-way awards back on AC/UA. To/from BCN. Finding the AA award that didn't involve BA metal on the TATL was the harder part. The AC/UA itin was available on a few dates, albeit the Rouge product that nobody really likes that much. (Hey, it's peak summer dates...I'll take it.) I'm glad we have both programs and at least a low-tier status in each alliance.
Old May 26, 2015, 10:07 pm

Originally Posted by TMM1982
LH F is worthless as they don't release to UA until the last minute. Most humans don't live a nomadic lifestyle.
I disagree.

I can hardly plan a trip a year in advance when the schedule opens for booking.
If all the award seats are released at 330 days out, they will be gone before I know what kind of projects will be coming up at work.

Being able to count on LH F at T-14 is awesome.

The extra cost in miles for partner F vs UA F is very steep though.
Old May 27, 2015, 11:02 am

Programs: Switched from UA 1K to AA so I could earn EQD's on partners. Mid-tier on most major hotel programs.
Was UA, now AA

Before UA's massive first class partner mileage hike February 1 of last year, for me it wasn't even close....I only focused on UA in earning miles and flying. This year I finally began to realize the value of AA miles, in particular in first class to Asia, and I have begun to shift to AA. However, I am still burning through a lot of my UA miles. Next year, I'll likely shift all of my flying to AA/One World, IF (and it's a big IF) American does not insanely hike its partner redemption chart.

So, the ball is in AA's court. I don't really care if they switch to earning miles based on revenue (I mainly buy discounted Biz tickets to Asia), but I'll never fly AA if they insanely hike the mileage Biz/First redemption requirements...particularly to Asia.
Old May 30, 2015, 2:20 am

Programs: AA, DL, AK, UN, CN
I just spent time trying to book an award flight to Bali (and looked at other parts of Asia as well) with AA miles. It's really difficult to find availability. You have to use BA.com and dance around to try and find flights. Price every segment separately. Call in to book. Yuck. I'd call AA miles 4/5 difficulty to actually use.

As a comparison, same itinerary with United is a breeze to find flights, can book online, tons of availability. Oh yeah and you can take a stop over.

Love my United points. Was saving my AA miles for one of those Explorer awards but that vanished. Seeing how hard it is to book flights, I doubt I would have been able to piece one together anyway.
Old May 30, 2015, 5:14 am
ffI

Programs: AA EXP2M, DL 1MM DM ext, UA PP <=> HH G/Marr PE/Hyatt G/IHG P FT RA ( Recovering Addict)
India
EY(+9W) flies to a lot of the second tier places from the US with a one stop connection.
QR is the best for comfort in J to India. The planes are decent.

However, now that AI has joined *A, almost all Indian cities are doable with UA, although paying 140k for AI F class to India is an absolute joke and total waste.
I would not even pay 140k DL for this award.

Originally Posted by benzemalyonnais
I can't realistically think of a region where AA is clearly than UA for miles, quality of product aside other than US domestic flights.
Old May 30, 2015, 5:17 am
ffI

Programs: AA EXP2M, DL 1MM DM ext, UA PP <=> HH G/Marr PE/Hyatt G/IHG P FT RA ( Recovering Addict)
Originally Posted by ryandelmundo
As a comparison, same itinerary with United is a breeze to find flights, can book online, tons of availability. Oh yeah and you can take a stop over.
Understand that what you appreciate in award booking is the old CO engine (SHARES) that the UA folks hated and which created so many problems for the merger.
For awards, it has been the best part of the UA/CO merger.
Prior to that one was limited to AC or ANA website for checking then one had to call in with UA and spend an hour or two on the phone booking the award.
Old May 30, 2015, 6:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ffI
Understand that what you appreciate in award booking is the old CO engine (SHARES) that the UA folks hated and which created so many problems for the merger.
Prior to that one was limited to AC or ANA website for checking then one had to call in with UA and spend an hour or two on the phone booking the award.
Actually, even with the new UA/CO site, I still had to spend half an hour or so on the phone with UA booking my last award, because the UA website would not do 4-leg award flights, even though they're legal.

So it still depends on what you're doing.
Old May 30, 2015, 6:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ffI
now that AI has joined *A, almost all Indian cities are doable with UA, although paying 140k for AI F class to India is an absolute joke and total waste.
It's also not possible. It takes 130k one way, 260k round trip, to fly First (as opposed to Business) to India on Star Alliance (as opposed to UA metal). It takes 80k one way, 160k round trip,, to fly Business to India on Star Alliance.

https://www.united.com/web/format/pd...t-02-01-14.pdf
Old May 30, 2015, 6:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Ragnarok
Being able to count on LH F at T-14 is awesome.
On LAX-FRA, LH (1) it never seems to have First available via UA in the near term, and (2) depending on the day of travel, Business may only appear as little as 3 days out.

EDITED TO ADD:

Or not at all! They never loaded any Business for tomorrow (Wednesday 6/3), at least as of right now (after 6 pm PDT Tuesday 6/2). Nor is there at this point Business loaded for any day other than next Monday.

Last edited by sdsearch; Jun 2, 2015 at 7:28 pm
Old May 30, 2015, 11:57 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Another perk of UA is being able to use these miles online. Want to get between GUA and MGA? PRG and VIE? YYZ and PIT? Go to UAL.com, search, select your flights and book. No calling agents, no using BA's website etc. That saves major time.
Old May 30, 2015, 3:49 pm

I find UA availability much easier to find for our travels. We go to SE Asia ~4 times a year and have always been able to find flights with UA. I prefer to use our AA miles on CX and can find flights about 35-40% of the time with AA, but I can find flights with UA 100% of the time. I like them both and they work well together, as I can always piece together a trip between the 2 programs.
Old Jun 2, 2015, 2:56 pm

Programs: AA, DL, AK, UN, CN
Originally Posted by ffI
Yup I do appreciate it! I've had to call in once or twice, but in general its fantastic. Of course you broke the first rule of UA/CO booking

For Asia awards, I try for AA first then go with UA if I can't get it with AA. I suppose I should be happy there is a backdoor way to find AA partner flights using BA.com, otherwise it'd really be impossible.

AA's redemption rates are obviously the lowest of the group, which means better use them up before they raise them!

FF ratings

AA:
Availability and flight searches: 1/5
Award Value at low level : 4/5 (would be higher if they allowed a stopover)
Fees: 4/5 (free date changes!)

UA:
Availablity : 5/5
Value: 4/5
Fees: 2/5 (Change fees, close in fee, have to ask to waive the phone-in booking fee)

Neither is perfect, happy to have both. SkyPesos rate even worse. Love my BA Avios for short jumps too, and thank them for hosting a good search engine (invoke Fight Club rule here too)

Cheers,
RdM
Old Jun 3, 2015, 2:27 pm

Programs: MR, AA, UA, DL, AVIS and growing
Yes, agree as the merger with US Airways has opened up Europe on AA.
But you will find most routes being stuck on US Airways unless flying to 1 of 6 American direct connections.

US Airways is lesser quality service than AA but same # of FF miles 20k in off season.

AA used to put you on BA to get intra-europa or even on Air Berlin, Iberia with taxes a bit higher. BA taxes were outrageous so stay out of London!!

Anyway, I just flew AA Award on US Airways Sea-PHL-DUb (18,000 points+ $5) and Mun-PHL-SEA(18,000 points + $96). Got 10% discount using CITi VISA card!

Originally Posted by EWRMAN
Hi,

Am I alone in thinking that it is much easier to use AA miles than UA miles and there are so many more saver award seats available.

I normally use my award miles for NYC - LHR/MAN flights and with AA there is nearly always seats available including over the xmas period and it is only 20,000 AA miles . Where as with united they are much harder to find and need about 50% more miles.

I'm really impressed with AA's generosity in this regard..
Old Jun 3, 2015, 2:28 pm

Programs: MR, AA, UA, DL, AVIS and growing
AA allows a stopover US-Europe only at gateway city which happens to be in US.
But a stopover is allowed.

Originally Posted by ryandelmundo
Yup I do appreciate it! I've had to call in once or twice, but in general its fantastic. Of course you broke the first rule of UA/CO booking

For Asia awards, I try for AA first then go with UA if I can't get it with AA. I suppose I should be happy there is a backdoor way to find AA partner flights using BA.com, otherwise it'd really be impossible.

AA's redemption rates are obviously the lowest of the group, which means better use them up before they raise them!

FF ratings

AA:
Availability and flight searches: 1/5
Award Value at low level : 4/5 (would be higher if they allowed a stopover)
Fees: 4/5 (free date changes!)

UA:
Availablity : 5/5
Value: 4/5
Fees: 2/5 (Change fees, close in fee, have to ask to waive the phone-in booking fee)

Neither is perfect, happy to have both. SkyPesos rate even worse. Love my BA Avios for short jumps too, and thank them for hosting a good search engine (invoke Fight Club rule here too)

Cheers,
RdM

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.