Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > MilesBuzz
Reload this Page >

160,000 AA miles for $2,950. Is this a good deal or not?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 10, 2015, 12:28 pm
Original Poster

I'm sure someone must've posted this deal before but I couldn't find a thread so point me in the right direction if this is a dupe.

Got an email saying American Airlines have a promotion on where if you buy 100,000 points, you get an extra 60,000 bonus points. So for US$2,950 you can get 160,000 points.

Promotion runs from March 31 to April 30.
https://buymiles.aa.com/en/buygift?c...rigA_EN,US_BUY

Does anyone think this is a good deal?

I'm a total noob so appreciate any comments from those familiar with AA points and if I should spend money on buying points as I joined AA recently.
Old Apr 10, 2015, 12:51 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
It looks as if you have not yet added the taxes and fees to see the total cost.

Threads about American Airlines are here:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...s-airways-744/

At least two relevant threads:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...promotion.html

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...ose-miles.html
Old Apr 11, 2015, 8:45 pm

A reasonable deal as long as they don't increase redemption mileage (like DL)
Old Apr 11, 2015, 9:20 pm

Programs: US Air, UA BA LH AI DELTA MARRIOTT CHOICE SGP
I look at the cash price of J seat on a long haul , compare it to the cost of buying miles, $2950 here as you say.
if you buy on speculation, watch out devaluations may bite you in the backside !
Old Apr 12, 2015, 7:53 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by HMPS
... $2950 here as you say.
$3,201.25 after including tax and fee.
Old Apr 12, 2015, 8:12 am

Programs: AA P4L, WN, BA, DL, UA, HHonors, IHG
I think that "is it a good deal or not" depends upon what you plan to use the AA miles for. If domestic travel and or travel in Coach, probably not. If planning to travel First, then probably yes.

A search for what various bloggers have calculated as the worth of FF miles may help you decide.
Old Apr 12, 2015, 10:21 am

Programs: most of them
160000 miles still gets you to Asia 2 and back in CX F, so yeah I think that's a good deal if you plan to use the miles for something like that and relatively soon.
Old Apr 12, 2015, 10:41 am

Programs: OZ Diamond, Jiffypark Manhattan Gold
I'd be interested to see if any NON-AA members did this. Just thinking for myself spending like $3600 CAD, if that got 2 CX F flights, that's a great deal. But I have no status with AA, so how hard would it be to get the rewards, is there scam charges, what's the availability like out of my city, how fast would I have to use them before a potential deval...for me there's probably a few too many question marks to pull the trigger on a deal like this, but if you were an AA elite and had better access to awards it might totally be worth doing, especially if you have some destinations in mind.
Old Apr 12, 2015, 11:19 am

Originally Posted by drvannostren
I'd be interested to see if any NON-AA members did this. Just thinking for myself spending like $3600 CAD, if that got 2 CX F flights, that's a great deal. But I have no status with AA, so how hard would it be to get the rewards, is there scam charges, what's the availability like out of my city, how fast would I have to use them before a potential deval...for me there's probably a few too many question marks to pull the trigger on a deal like this, but if you were an AA elite and had better access to awards it might totally be worth doing, especially if you have some destinations in mind.
I've done it once before. What I did was put the awards on hold after searching for availability on the BA engine (CX and JL have great availability in F/J.)

A round trip to Asia from Canada should come in at about $100 CAD in fees.

The only thing is - if you use a Canadian credit card you're billed another 13% HST. That can be solved by using a US credit card with a US billing address.
Old Apr 12, 2015, 11:53 am

Worth it?

I don't see how this is worth it. You can open the AA Citi executive card 3 times at 50,000 miles each. Spend the required $5k per card and now you have 165k miles. Each card has an annual fee of $450 which you can get back if you make the spend and cancel the card. The on,y cost for me is the $5 per $500 to buy the gift cards to meet the spend, basically $50 per card or $150 in total for 165k miles.
Old Apr 12, 2015, 11:59 am

Originally Posted by flightmedic
I don't see how this is worth it. You can open the AA Citi executive card 3 times at 50,000 miles each. Spend the required $5k per card and now you have 165k miles. Each card has an annual fee of $450 which you can get back if you make the spend and cancel the card. The on,y cost for me is the $5 per $500 to buy the gift cards to meet the spend, basically $50 per card or $150 in total for 165k miles.
For people who don't have access to those crazy sign-up bonuses in the US - this isn't a half bad way to effectively buy J & F tickets at a huge discount (very few opportunities in Canada to earn AA miles.)
Old Apr 12, 2015, 12:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
If you have a definite and immediate use for them to obtain travel at a solid discount below current cash prices, then why not. But otherwise paying 2cpm+ just to have them sit in your account for some undefined future need is unreasonably risky.

Keep in mind the opportunity cost of miles that would be earned from a cash ticket and factor that into your equation also. A long TPAC coupled with premium cabin and elite bonuses can mean you're foregoing tens of thousands of miles when you buy an award ticket instead of a cash ticket.
Old Apr 12, 2015, 3:23 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond, Jiffypark Manhattan Gold
Originally Posted by javabytes
Keep in mind the opportunity cost of miles that would be earned from a cash ticket and factor that into your equation also. A long TPAC coupled with premium cabin and elite bonuses can mean you're foregoing tens of thousands of miles when you buy an award ticket instead of a cash ticket.
The difference being for me, I can't/won't pay for premium cabins. I don't have that kinda cash, so that's probably why I wouldn't do this. That said, the opportunity for me is to get premium cabin without paying premium price. I use my Aeroplan points to book premium cabins when I can because it makes sense and it's an experience I know I wouldn't otherwise pay for.

So spending $3,500 CAD and getting 2 roundtrip F tickets to asia (if I read it correctly) might be totally worth it, hell, even if it was just J it might be worth it.

1 round trip in F? Wouldn't bother because then I'd kick myself for paying $3,500 for 1 trip rather than $1,150 for 3 separate trips. As much as I value the comfort, I value the destination much more.

If nothing else though it's an interesting proposition.
Old Apr 12, 2015, 4:29 pm

Programs: AA, UA, DL, UR, IHG platnium, AirAsia
Not worth it at all, especially for flying in economy. That's well less than 1 cent per mile. If it was 160k for $1,600 then maybe...
Old Apr 12, 2015, 4:45 pm

Programs: US Air, UA BA LH AI DELTA MARRIOTT CHOICE SGP
Originally Posted by drvannostren
The difference being for me, I can't/won't pay for premium cabins. I don't have that kinda cash, so that's probably why I wouldn't do this. That said, the opportunity for me is to get premium cabin without paying premium price. I use my Aeroplan points to book premium cabins when I can because it makes sense and it's an experience I know I wouldn't otherwise pay for.

So spending $3,500 CAD and getting 2 roundtrip F tickets to asia (if I read it correctly) might be totally worth it, hell, even if it was just J it might be worth it.

1 round trip in F? Wouldn't bother because then I'd kick myself for paying $3,500 for 1 trip rather than $1,150 for 3 separate trips. As much as I value the comfort, I value the destination much more.

If nothing else though it's an interesting proposition.
How do you and another poster figure TWO Round Trip in F to Asia ?
For that I would jump for two sets of purchases !

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.