Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How do you hoard miles?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 15, 2014, 7:54 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, United Silver, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by dcflyer10
How hard is it to churn credit cards today with Banks cracking down?
I think it also depends on your credit score. I think my credit score is a very valuable asset. With a high credit score, you're a far more desirable customer.
Old Nov 15, 2014, 8:35 am

Programs: Inf Elite CO, lifetime AA Platinum
Credit card miles

Originally Posted by dogfan
charge everything to credit card, the best way to collect miles
This is a hard way to earn miles for most people unless you spend quite a bunch every month. One credit card app could cover the annual spend of most people.
Old Nov 15, 2014, 1:34 pm

Originally Posted by kitkatft
It's not the most glamorous use of the damage I've done to my credit score. If you'd told me it was how I was going to end up spending the miles, I might have thought twice before dinging that credit score. But it makes me happy enough.
If this is true, you're doing something wrong. Your credit score will not be negatively impacted if you play the game right. Many have their score actually go up.

You should never damage your credit score for a few hundred bucks in tickets, IMO.

The value of a good credit score far outweighs the value of those domestic tickets (any tickets, really).
Old Nov 16, 2014, 8:07 pm

i sure do not know what i am doing wrong. It has been almost a yeah and i only built up to 64k miles, that is due to a sign up with 50k, doing surveys daily on opinion miles and charging everything, all bills are paid with my millage card. I think i would have a heart attack if i see the 500k miles hell even the 200k miles on my card would kill me
Old Nov 17, 2014, 9:55 am
xp0

Old Nov 18, 2014, 2:10 pm

Programs: AA Plat, SPG/Marriot Gold, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Expl
Originally Posted by shawnshx
i sure do not know what i am doing wrong. It has been almost a yeah and i only built up to 64k miles, that is due to a sign up with 50k, doing surveys daily on opinion miles and charging everything, all bills are paid with my millage card. I think i would have a heart attack if i see the 500k miles hell even the 200k miles on my card would kill me
What card(s) do you have/use?

My main sources of miles/points are:
  1. Credit card sign-up bonuses (40K-100K per card)
  2. Travel (platinum status on DL = 100% bonus on flown miles)
  3. Credit card category bonus (Freedom quarterly categories, Ink for office suplies/wireless/internet, Sapphire Pref on dining/travel,etc)
  4. Annual spend thresholds

So, there's no One Card to rule them all. This strategy has me and my wife's various airline/hotel/CC accounts at over 2 million points combined.
Old Nov 24, 2014, 11:47 am

I'm not happy with my million point balance

Originally Posted by gggg707
Although I love looking at large miles balances, I've realized I enjoy using the miles a lot more than looking at the balances.
I agree. Since 2012-early 2014 my husband & I have been hoarding. So far this year we have taken 7 domestic vacations already and have gotten over 10K in free travel. What's left in our accounts is over a million points. I love seeing a million point balance; however, they are spread out among several programs.

At this point in the year, it would be interesting to piece together another vacation--he has enough points for one flight on Delta and I have enough points for one flight on American. If we were to go to Maui (again), we would have to stay two nights at a Hyatt, 1-2 nights at a Starwood property, etc.

So, in 2015 & perhaps 2016 I will probably hoard miles again & will focus on earning miles in one airline program and points in one hotel program.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.