FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM 1 MM; Hz PC
Originally Posted by lynda_insideflyer
Thanks for taking this quick survey.

HERE
All done - nice and short - just the way surveys should be - good job ^
Old Aug 27, 2014, 12:18 pm

Quick

Quick, simple and short. Done. Will you post a link to results?
Old Aug 27, 2014, 8:47 pm

Programs: none
How many miles do I get for answering?
Old Aug 27, 2014, 9:33 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by Allan38103
How many miles do I get for answering?
One million Aviators miles.
Old Sep 9, 2014, 2:52 pm

Programs: AS, AA Gold, and Hilton
Done very fast and easy.
Old Sep 11, 2014, 9:19 am

all done.
Old Sep 12, 2014, 10:23 am

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Are we allowed to have a little discussion here about it?

The survey is about buying/selling/trading miles. The final question is "Should users be allowed to do it?"

My view, which I imagine is contrary to many here...

Although many fliers would argue otherwise, I think it's in our collective best interest to *not* own the miles as an asset that we can trade on an open exchange.

The miles would quickly settle on a value, just like any other currency or equity would, and that would eventually lead to accounting, tax, legal, and regulatory implications for everyone involved - airlines, governments, trading firms, mileage users, etc.

It would also likely raise costs of redemption and depress the trading price of the miles, as nearly every mile that today goes unused or expires would be sold to the market and - in theory - to a user who wants them for a higher-value purpose than the market trading price.

As powerusers of the programs, we rely on other users not paying attention to their miles, letting them sit orphaned, letting them expire, or using them poorly. Those neglected and abused miles are what make the international F award available for 125k R/T. If all miles are used well, the best awards will jump in price by several hundred percent.
Old Sep 19, 2014, 7:05 pm

Programs: BA, AAL, UA, SW, HHonors, UR
...Or, our miles would become like Bitcoins, going up and down in value as the winds blow. Miles in different programs would be "worth" different amounts, depending on how their end-users appreciate them. Various programs would then have at least a small incentive to make their miles/points more valuable in the eyes of the end-user, too, instead of just being something the airlines blather about. The minimal value of Sky Pesos would become apparent and maybe corrected. Tracking the value of our miles/points would give all of us here yet another fun thing to do as well! As far as we "powerusers of the programs" go, I might prefer to have the option to go to a non-poweruser and buy the miles I need for less than their value to me (and certainly far far less than what the airlines are selling them for now).
Old Sep 20, 2014, 5:49 am

Programs: AA Plat 2MM, MR Gold, Avis Pref
I did not take the survey (nothing in it for me) but am all for trading/owning miles and points

even if they settle on a value then I'm fine with that as I'd rather have a known value to my miles/points than the current speculation that we have.
Old Sep 21, 2014, 5:25 am
Suspended

Programs: Enrich Sapphire. Kris Flyer Silver.Le Club Accorhotels,Starwood.
Done!
Old Sep 21, 2014, 7:02 am

Programs: AA-gold(MM); Marriott-Lifetime Titanium Elite; Hilton-Gold;
I have two strong opinions on two of the questions. I do feel I own these miles and would like to see them easily go to my daughter in the event of my death. (I know there are ways around that...but would like to see it just slide over to her account).

Secondly, I do not feel members should sell miles, but sure wish, for example to be able to exchange 25,000 AA miles or so with a Delta or United member for their 25,000 miles. Sometimes we must fly outside our preferred airline but have no miles to upgrade or purchase awards on these other airlines.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.