15K US Airways miles for $20K loan via Lending Club

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 3, 2014, 1:25 am
Original Poster

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA EXP, Hilton Diamond, Wyndham Diamond, DL PM, Marriott Platinum, IHG Platinum

LendingClub has an offer of 15,000 US Airways points if you borrow more than $20,000. Has anyone tried this. The ad says that the miles would be credited in six to eight weeks. What if you repay the loan in a week? Would the miles be still credited and also are there any prepayment penalties?
Old Aug 3, 2014, 2:57 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA Gold, SPG Plat, HH Gold
15,000 miles for US Airways from Lending Club

I believe they charge a 1% origination fee. So your 15,000 miles would cost you $200.
Old Aug 3, 2014, 4:29 am
Used to be 'flymanbeast'

Programs: Delta silver/marriot platinum
Might show up in your credit score that you took out 20k too...

Last edited by howtofreetravel; Aug 3, 2014 at 6:46 am
Old Aug 3, 2014, 9:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Too many to list
See this thread http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manuf...ding-club.html for more info on Lending Club.

Here is a CBS review: http://www.cbsnews.com/news/the-lend...itical-review/
Old Aug 3, 2014, 10:46 am
Original Poster

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA EXP, Hilton Diamond, Wyndham Diamond, DL PM, Marriott Platinum, IHG Platinum
Wink

Originally Posted by howtofreetravel
Might show up in your credit score that you took out 20k too...
It most likely would but once you pay it back in a month or two, it should more than offset the ding you get on the score when you borrow $20,000. That would be my guess but I could be wrong.
Old Aug 3, 2014, 5:22 pm

Originally Posted by philemer
See this thread http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manuf...ding-club.html for more info on Lending Club.

Here is a CBS review: http://www.cbsnews.com/news/the-lend...itical-review/
Old Aug 4, 2014, 6:12 am
Used to be 'flymanbeast'

Programs: Delta silver/marriot platinum
Originally Posted by jediwho
It most likely would but once you pay it back in a month or two, it should more than offset the ding you get on the score when you borrow $20,000. That would be my guess but I could be wrong.
I believe Fico doesn't like it when you pay a loan really fast
Old Aug 12, 2014, 10:00 am

Programs: ALL <LOL>
Trying to work the Lending Club system to earn airline points is a no-win game. If you already are in debt and you want to consolidate your bills while earning airline miles, that's ANOTHER story! But if you're just looking to churn another account look elsewhere as you will pay a 1% origination fee on the loan.

With that said, Lending Club has changed my life. In just 14 more months I will be revolving debt free. Prior to Lending Club, there was no end in site for me. I applied at my credit union, Wells Fargo, and a ton of other banks and they all turned me down for consolidation loans. Even Prosper, Lending Club's competitor, turned me down, but not Lending Club. My score was 700 due to having such high balances on some of my cards prior to doing lending club. Immediately after paying all the balances down with my Lending Club check my score increased, first to 720, then 740. Today I am at 775 and holding steady. I probably would go up even more but I now play the miles and points game like most of us on here do, so all the inquiries keep my score within a certain range of 760-780. Not bad.

I now use credit cards responsibly and play the game to win rather then letting the credit card companies beat me into their 15-20% interest charges. I enjoy the miles and points game, and I look forward to January, 2016 when my last lending club payment goes through and I will have $1000 a month back in my pocket to travel and have more fun in life (and invest some of it back for my future!).
Old Aug 12, 2014, 2:00 pm

DJrobsd,

I am so happy to hear you've found a way out of the CC high interest spiral that I know so many people have gotten trapped in.
Old Aug 15, 2014, 3:59 pm

Originally Posted by djrobsd
Trying to work the Lending Club system to earn airline points is a no-win game. If you already are in debt and you want to consolidate your bills while earning airline miles, that's ANOTHER story! But if you're just looking to churn another account look elsewhere as you will pay a 1% origination fee on the loan.

With that said, Lending Club has changed my life. In just 14 more months I will be revolving debt free. Prior to Lending Club, there was no end in site for me. I applied at my credit union, Wells Fargo, and a ton of other banks and they all turned me down for consolidation loans. Even Prosper, Lending Club's competitor, turned me down, but not Lending Club. My score was 700 due to having such high balances on some of my cards prior to doing lending club. Immediately after paying all the balances down with my Lending Club check my score increased, first to 720, then 740. Today I am at 775 and holding steady. I probably would go up even more but I now play the miles and points game like most of us on here do, so all the inquiries keep my score within a certain range of 760-780. Not bad.

I now use credit cards responsibly and play the game to win rather then letting the credit card companies beat me into their 15-20% interest charges. I enjoy the miles and points game, and I look forward to January, 2016 when my last lending club payment goes through and I will have $1000 a month back in my pocket to travel and have more fun in life (and invest some of it back for my future!).
Just curious, what rate are you getting on your Lending Club loan?

Seems to me that you just shifted your credit card debt to a lending club debt.
Old Aug 21, 2014, 2:27 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
This just sounds like an awful deal.

Are there mileage bonuses for putting in money on the investment side of LC? That might or might not be just as awful of a deal, but I'm curious.
Old Aug 22, 2014, 12:18 am

Programs: MPC, Marriott, Hyatt
On the investment side, your initial deposit into LC can be done via credit card, up to a maximum of 5k.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.