Search

FF Programs="Honey Trap" say economists

Search this Thread

Old Jun 20, 2014, 5:44 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
GUWonder, my point was these analyses are never by flyertalk types or experts. (nor even industry perspective.) and whenever those types or bloggers are in media, its always very low level. (that media wants.)

media and academia these days..
Blame the audience, for the audience is driving the market and how the market is supplied.

And those who have the expertise -- including on FT -- and do the analysis don't necessarily always have the time or interest to put up unabridged versions for general audiences or to engage in in minutiae discussion about all that they know and how they got there.

Time for people is a resource in finite quantity, and there have always been consequences to that, consequences which mirror what happens today. Even in the "good old days", it wasn't any better.
Old Jun 24, 2014, 2:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

FF Programs="Honey Trap" say economists

I believe that these new programs won't do much to hurt the big 3s business domestically. What will happen, however, is the person who flew 2-3 times a year to Asia will re-consider always flying on Delta/United and will throw their business to foreign carriers where service and amenities are much better. I would expect a lot of "capacity rationalization" over the coming years on Asian flights by UA/DL and a corresponding increase in capacity by foreign carriers.
Old Jun 24, 2014, 6:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Originally Posted by RTW1
The problem with that statement is that you assume that the majority of members use credit cards or MS to get miles... And that is most likely not true either. Most members don't play the mileage game.
+1 Many of us accummulate 100k+ miles plus bonuses annually solely through paid tickets. The CCs points are a small fraction of my total pile. Homey (like the vast majority of people) don't churn cards or manufacture spend. And I predict that game will soon be ending.

Originally Posted by Andy2
True, but to me those members are a lot more damaged by those who do than they are by the change from mileage-based accumulation to fee-based accumulation when the deflationary effects of the marketplace being flooded with miles.
*** But the author's premise that customer's should consider ignoring the programs merely because of the honey trap element of needing to spend more to accumulate more miles from just flying is a pretty small component of evaluating whether to take a specific flight on a specific airline, in my opinion.
You shouldn't assume that true BIS flyers are damaged - many of us are better off under the new system. Mostly it's the low budget travelers that lose out.

As for the honey trap, that's probably true but only for stupid people. I always select flights based on price and convenience, being at a UA hub usually makes that an easy decision particularly when you factor in the perks (free checked bags) but I will fly AS, WN or any other airline that makes sense if it saves time & money. Anyone who blindly pays extra to fly a particular airline is a fool, and that's been the case for years, excepting those on the margin of elite status levels.

Originally Posted by 84fiero
Credit cards - hard to top 2% rebate for your 'loyalty' in using the card
Hotels - Within SPG, Marriott, and Hilton I haven't found upgrading or special treatment anywhere near as useful as what airlines give and the cash value of awards is much lower in my experience.
Agree about CCs - I think the vast majority (excepting those few churners/spenders who save for C/F international) overvalue the miles when the same spend gets you unrestricted cash to spend on travel or anything else.

Disagree about hotel programs - the points are actually more useful to me than miles because I never have enough hotel points to meet my needs and rooms where I vacation are expensive, i.e. Vail in March. However I would agree that contrary to airlines the elite benefits for hotels are not useful unless you travel enough to qualify for SPG Plat or Hyatt Dia.
Old Jun 24, 2014, 8:26 pm
Fairmont Contributor Badge

I am a mild churner (where I will keep a lucrative card 2-3 years, then close it) At one time used to be a BIS 1k/elite. When my career changed and the market shifted, I resorted to using credit card offerings to fill in the lost benefits (priority access, seating, baggage, lounges, miles)

In fact I think the credit card offerings have become better over time. AMEX Plat, $450 less many promotions, I generally come out ahead in terms of value.

When I reach enough for long haul redemptions in J, I will cash in.
If there is a transcon selling for $900 in Y, I will generally use miles for a flight.

I even bought into Lifemiles as a backup pool for when I was short on UA miles.

I don't go as far as calculating the value of each mile, but I do take into consideration what is cheaper and where can I get more value.

A cashback card (even if it was 4%) doesn't net me the value I achieve with Airline cards.

For full disclosure, I carry about 8 "annual fee" cards, and about 4 no annual fee cards to keep my average age up, and my credit score lingers around 800.
Old Jun 24, 2014, 8:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1k, Marriott Lifetime PE, Former DL Gold, Former SQ Solitaire, HH Gold
Originally Posted by Andy2
The problem I have with little articles like this, which are not real economic studies, is that the articles assume that getting miles from flying are still the most significant source of mileage accumulation. A few hours on Flyertalk or any miles blog would have shown them that the mileage game is mostly credit card sign-ups and various manufactured spend transactions. With respect to credit card sign-ups, the most miles can be obtained from exploring a program that a person has not previously used, which creates disloyalty by the consumer.

I think there are plenty of interesting economic studies that can be done regarding these programs, namely the consequences of the change itself from rewarding frequent spending instead of frequent flying, the airlines using the selling of miles as a fixed income revenue source, and the deflationary effect of the miles that occurs when the market is flooded with them (both the obvious issue of the lack of seat availability at lower reward levels and the imposition of greater cash penalties when dealing with using miles).

Since miles from flying are not as important of a source of total mileage accumulation, I do not think that the honey trap effect of consumers choosing to fly one airline over another is as great as the authors believe.
I have to challenge this analysis. Flying is the number one source of my miles, probably 70-80% of my miles. Second is using the Chase UAL branded card to charge my flights giving me about a 1/3 boost in miles per flight. The rest of the sources are trivial to me.
Old Jun 24, 2014, 8:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1k, Marriott Lifetime PE, Former DL Gold, Former SQ Solitaire, HH Gold
Originally Posted by GUWonder
I completely agree with the above astute and coherent summary of the situation.

If the airlines want to make this about ticket price, then more customers will make this about the lowest ticket price too and the frequency of paying a loyalty/brand premium to UA and/or DL will drop.
Yes, but at the same time they will attract those who normally pay a high price for tickets. My R/T to Asia on UA starting next year will net me over 60,000 MP per flight ($ spend X bonus for status + UA branded CC paying for the ticket). Yes, that makes me want to choose them.
Old Jun 24, 2014, 9:06 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Tchiowa
Yes, but at the same time they will attract those who normally pay a high price for tickets. My R/T to Asia on UA starting next year will net me over 60,000 MP per flight ($ spend X bonus for status + UA branded CC paying for the ticket). Yes, that makes me want to choose them.
The pool of HSCs (High Spend Customers) is finite. If UA attracts a new HSC, he/she mostly likely comes from DL or AA. Conversely, DL might attract a new HSC, which UA is losing.
The net gain is ZERO.
Old Jun 24, 2014, 9:30 pm

Last edited by angatol; Feb 28, 2015 at 5:00 pm
Old Jun 24, 2014, 9:39 pm
Original Member

Originally Posted by Tchiowa
I have to challenge this analysis. Flying is the number one source of my miles, probably 70-80% of my miles. Second is using the Chase UAL branded card to charge my flights giving me about a 1/3 boost in miles per flight. The rest of the sources are trivial to me.
Yes, but what I am pointing out is that a number of FTers in the Credit Card section claim to have gotten 1,000,000 or more miles from churning the Citi AA Executive card. And some of those posters claim to have cancelled each new card in order to get the annual fee refunded. Those posters use manufactured spending to get the $10,000 of spending on each card.

I have gotten a couple of these cards, but I do not find it ethical to cancel the card without paying the annual fee. Still, we are talking about 110,000 AA miles for around a $400 outlay.

A road warrior has to do an awful lot of flying to get 1 million miles. Many years ago, that road warrior would have an enormous competitive advantage of getting free seats. He would have more miles than anyone else and there were few enough miles in circulation that the airline made a lot of free seats available.

Now that road warrior is more indifferent as to which airline he flies when mileage accumulation is considered. While he is flying, someone else if earning through these techniques a ton more miles than he can hope to earn by flying. The road warrior has more difficulty getting free seats, so mileage accumulation with respect to flying a certain airline becomes less important, regardless of whether the airline uses a distance or revenue basis for awarding miles from flying.

That difference between today and long ago is completely ignored in the article. I do not believe as many people choose to fly a specific airline solely to ear miles from flying. They are more likely to do so to achieve status.
Old Jun 24, 2014, 9:55 pm

Programs: WN A+ CP, UA 1MM/*A Gold, Mar LT Tit, IHG Plat, HH Dia
Originally Posted by Boraxo
You shouldn't assume that true BIS flyers are damaged - many of us are better off under the new system. Mostly it's the low budget travelers that lose out.
Indeed. Many of us business travelers stand to gain from the switchover to revenue based points. A lot of us book close-in fares and consequently pay a lot more than most leisure travelers. As a quick data point, I booked flights on Monday for a round trip to PDX on Wednesday. On UA out of SFO with the current distance based system I would have earned 1100 base miles. On WN with its revenue system I will earn more than 5000. This is a 5x difference all else equal.
Old Jun 24, 2014, 10:36 pm

Programs: Asiamiles, OZ Gold, Hilton Gold, SPG/Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by protagonist

Credit card loyalty is similar. The only reason I can imagine the credit card companies provide such generous rewards with relatively easy spending requirements and no initial fees is that the average American holds something like $13K in credit card debt at usurious rates. It's pretty sneaky marketing, really... reminds me of what the tobacco companies used to do to get people addicted. So they suck people in with the promise of a free flight for example, and keep a huge number of them hopelessly in debt for years. They certainly would not provide such offers if those folks didn't vastly outnumber those of us who pay off our cards in full monthly and churn.

The unique relationship between Americans and credit card debt may also explain why such generous offers are not available in other countries.
Indeed these generous credit card offers are pretty much unique to the US market, much like protagonist said. Due to the high APRs and large percentage of Americans paying credit card interests, these card companies can afford to attract more potential interest payees to its user base with these offers.

My home country of Taiwan for example, has APRs capped at 16%, and 89% of the credit card user base pay in full every month with the average credit card debt being less than USD 130. It is not hard to imagine why 1% cash back cards and airline mile cards are so hard to find. Banks simply don't make enough profit from card holders to offer these benefits.

Airline miles are a different story, since some can be "traded" for monetary value. People can and do redeem reward tickets for others for cash, therefore these third party redeemable airline miles actually have a cash value of USD 1.5 to 3 cents per mile.

Last edited by Maxxis; Jun 24, 2014 at 11:05 pm
Old Jun 24, 2014, 11:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dieuwer2
The pool of HSCs (High Spend Customers) is finite. If UA attracts a new HSC, he/she mostly likely comes from DL or AA. Conversely, DL might attract a new HSC, which UA is losing.
The net gain is ZERO.
In theory, true. But the pool of low spend customers, while larger, represents very little as far as profit margin. And they are completely fickle, shopping for price only. So the airlines go after the HSC.
Old Jun 25, 2014, 6:48 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Boraxo
Disagree about hotel programs - the points are actually more useful to me than miles because I never have enough hotel points to meet my needs and rooms where I vacation are expensive, i.e. Vail in March.
How are hotel points useful to you if you never have enough of them to be able to use them?
Old Jun 25, 2014, 7:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Silver
Originally Posted by dieuwer2
How are hotel points useful to you if you never have enough of them to be able to use them?
I would suspect the same as money. Useful, spend it when you can, but never can have too much.
Old Jun 25, 2014, 10:15 am

Programs: Hyatt, Hilton, Marriott // WN, AA, BA, UA, AS // Avis
I guess I'm just a big bad bear that loves honey.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.