Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Online Travel Booking and Bidding Agencies
Reload this Page >

Rocketmiles and PointsHound: Affinity Rate Bookings?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 6, 2013, 6:25 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE, AA EXP MM, UA Gold MM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Titanium, HH Dia, IHG Plat

Very rarely do I book a hotel room at the public rate. Almost always it's a AAA, government, corporate, or promotional (e.g. Hilton MVP) rate. Are any of those rates bookable via Rocketmiles or PointsHound?

For that matter, are there any major third party booking engines (e.g. Expedia, Orbitz) where you can book affinity rates?
Old Oct 6, 2013, 10:56 pm
formerly known as felinaar

Programs: UA Plat, AA Gold, AS MVPG, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold
PointsHound regularly offers AAA rates on Starwood properties. I haven't noticed them for Hyatt, and I can't say I really care about other brands.

These rates are only available within the Double Up category, i.e., the rates that also earn elite status and hotel points. If you don't see Double Up rates available at that property, then they won't have AAA. My understanding is that the Double Up rates pull from a separate inventory system than the standard rates, and it's only this particularly inventory system that includes affinity rates.

Rocketmiles doesn't offer AAA or other affinity rates since they don't do the Double Up thing that PointsHound offers.
Old Oct 7, 2013, 1:05 am
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE, AA EXP MM, UA Gold MM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Titanium, HH Dia, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Scottrick
PointsHound regularly offers AAA rates on Starwood properties. I haven't noticed them for Hyatt, and I can't say I really care about other brands.

These rates are only available within the Double Up category, i.e., the rates that also earn elite status and hotel points. If you don't see Double Up rates available at that property, then they won't have AAA. My understanding is that the Double Up rates pull from a separate inventory system than the standard rates, and it's only this particularly inventory system that includes affinity rates.

Rocketmiles doesn't offer AAA or other affinity rates since they don't do the Double Up thing that PointsHound offers.
Thanks....this is a definite tradeoff when using these third party booking arrangements. The miles earned would have to be quite significant to offset the lack of discount rates, and potentially the lack of elite benefits.
Old Oct 7, 2013, 1:39 pm

thought i'd ask this question here as well.

Do hotels usually honor the brg if the rate you're comparing it to is from rocketmiles (or any other site like it)?
Old Oct 7, 2013, 3:11 pm

Programs: 1MM UA
Originally Posted by larapanget

Do hotels usually honor the brg if the rate you're comparing it to is from rocketmiles (or any other site like it)?
I have no personal experience, but that's what I thought the Best Rate Guarantees are for.
Old May 27, 2015, 3:48 am

Programs: UA1K Marriott P
rubbish website rocketmiles.com

Rocketmiles is a rubbish website. i tried so hard to invite friends to register at this website and now they cancel my account. And also they never give my friends register bonus 1000 miles when they book a hotel.

Last edited by MileageAddict; May 27, 2015 at 4:08 am Reason: removed url
Old May 27, 2015, 6:48 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by airgolder
Rocketmiles is a rubbish website. i tried so hard to invite friends to register at this website and now they cancel my account. And also they never give my friends register bonus 1000 miles when they book a hotel.
Agreed. It's trash.
Old May 30, 2015, 6:58 am

Originally Posted by airgolder
This is very true! I found a mistake on their site and they didn't want to honor it.
Old May 30, 2015, 7:24 am

Originally Posted by Explore
Thanks....this is a definite tradeoff when using these third party booking arrangements. The miles earned would have to be quite significant to offset the lack of discount rates, and potentially the lack of elite benefits.
This too is very true! I took my better 1/2 and in-laws to LAS for Mother's Day and a pre-Father's Day. Stayed at the South Point via Rocketmiles. 2 very drab rooms w/ no decor. Not even pictures. $250 each for 2 days and 4500 AA miles. 500 of them were a bonus that they run regular.
I booked them here b/c of Michael's Restaurant and my elderly in-laws. For the price and lifeless looking rm I would have been better off just staying at the Palazzo on pts, of which we did for 25K pts/each rm after our 2 days there.
For the condition of the rms and the amount paid, the rms should have been worth 4-5K miles each rm easily.
Old May 30, 2015, 11:10 am

Programs: amex platinum, american advantage, united, ANA, JAP. SPG, marriott
I've actually had a couple of good experiences with Rocketmiles. I booked a hotel in NY which I like very much for four nights at a rate only about $15 over their website and got 11K miles. I even got an upgrade. The only drawback is having to pay when you make the reservation.
Old Jun 3, 2015, 5:02 pm

Programs: UA Premier 1K, AC SE, Delta Platinum Medallion, Marriott Titanium
With Rocketmiles it's mainly a coin flip. Sometimes they honor the points and sometimes they don't. It's very unreliable...
Old Jun 4, 2015, 12:29 pm

Programs: UA MM | BA Silver
YMMV

I've had excellent experiences with RocketMiles, PointsHound has been mixed.

All RocketMiles points post quickly after checkout with no hassle. I stay at such diverse hotel offerings that I don't really earn a lot of points directly through hotel loyalty programs.

I must have padded my AS account by 20k miles so far this year alone. AA another 5k. All gravy.
Old Jun 4, 2015, 1:33 pm

Programs: UA Premier 1K, AC SE, Delta Platinum Medallion, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by anc-ord772
YMMV

I've had excellent experiences with RocketMiles, PointsHound has been mixed.

All RocketMiles points post quickly after checkout with no hassle. I stay at such diverse hotel offerings that I don't really earn a lot of points directly through hotel loyalty programs.

I must have padded my AS account by 20k miles so far this year alone. AA another 5k. All gravy.
Hmmm, interesting... I'll give RocketMiles I second chance then.. it's been a while since I used them.
Old Sep 9, 2015, 10:03 pm

Programs: AY Gold, A3 Gold, UA Gold, Hyatt Globalist, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
Very bad experience with Rocketmiles, so be beware! Had 2 stays with them, both for 5k points with AA and BA promotions from spring 2015... but promo miles denied (under review), reason given - I received bonus miles back in 2014 with United promotion. Very deceiving praxis... still have their confirmation mails with confirmed earnings of 5k miles each!
Old Sep 12, 2015, 6:14 pm

Programs: Celebrity Elite Plus, RCCL Diamond, Princess Platinum, Carlson Gold, IHG Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by mirror74
Very bad experience with Rocketmiles, so be beware! Had 2 stays with them, both for 5k points with AA and BA promotions from spring 2015... but promo miles denied (under review), reason given - I received bonus miles back in 2014 with United promotion. Very deceiving praxis... still have their confirmation mails with confirmed earnings of 5k miles each!
If any of the bonus mile promos were listed for a "first time" booking, RocketMiles does say in their "small print" that those miles will only be issued once (not once per airline!), and they also leave open the possibility of cancelling wrongly issued miles upon further investigation.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.