Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > MilesBuzz
Reload this Page >

Why airline mile is easier to earn than Hotel point?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 4, 2013, 3:46 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton, Hyatt, Priority, SPG - AA, Hawaiian Airline, United, US Airline
Question Why airline mile is easier to earn than Hotel point?

I have read in this forum about Airline mile is valuable than Hotel points. However, I dont know why many people said that airline mile is easier to earn than Hotel point. I really dont get it. Anyone knows about it?
Old May 4, 2013, 7:24 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, HHonors Diamond
All a matter of opinion and how you earn points. If you get miles from actual BIS and stays, you get 1 flight yet many nights at a hotel. If you get your miles from CC then hotels are more difficult in that you spend many nights in a hotel vs 1 flight.
Old May 4, 2013, 7:48 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold

Hotel points are not comparable in my mind. You can burn 20 or 30k points for one night of sleep or you could suck it up and pay 75 bucks for a roof and a bed on Priceline. The opportunity cost of $75-150 applies no matter how nice the room. Miles on the other hand have a high opportunity cost since everyone charges roughly the same for flights. I would never accrue hotel points if i could choose miles.
Old May 4, 2013, 8:11 pm

Programs: AMEX Plat, AAdvantage Gold, UA, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by kingarthur
Hotel points are not comparable in my mind. You can burn 20 or 30k points for one night of sleep or you could suck it up and pay 75 bucks for a roof and a bed on Priceline. The opportunity cost of $75-150 applies no matter how nice the room. Miles on the other hand have a high opportunity cost since everyone charges roughly the same for flights. I would never accrue hotel points if i could choose miles.
You could always hitchhike then stay at the Conrad?
Old May 4, 2013, 8:53 pm

Programs: AA LT Gold, Starwood Gold, Hertz Gold, HHonors Gold, IHG Plat., BFD
Originally Posted by brooklynmatt
You could always hitchhike then stay at the Conrad?
^

For some, an important factor is the time spent in the hotel vs. the time spent on a plane. Five hours on a transcon, or on a flight over the pond is not a long time when compared to 24 hours (or longer) in a hotel. It's all about what is more valuable to each person for their individual circumstances.
Old May 5, 2013, 3:15 am

Programs: all

Too many variables in your question. Depends how you get them. Whether you earn by actually flying or credit card bonuses or high credit card spends. Also u can't generalize about airline miles being more valuable than hotel miles. The single most valuable currency is Starwood and that is hotel. Also Hyatt points are more valuable than many airline points.
Old May 5, 2013, 3:54 am

Hotels are fixed rate based on cost so its like a rebate of less than 10%.

Airlines the amount you earn is based on distance not on cost. So you can easily earn 20 miles/$ (inverse of 5 cpm). Factor in 100% elite bonus and you can be looking at 40 miles/$. Imagine if you could earn 40/1.25= 32 SPG points per dollar spent at hotels.

Airline loyalty programs generally belong to the airline and the cost of giving you a ticket is when they expect that seat to go out empty is very marginal cost since their costs are more from fixed costs of flying a plane from A->B. Hotel loyalty programs have to pay the hotel owner when u stay there.
Old May 5, 2013, 8:58 am

Programs: Too Many to Count
Well, if the question is what's easier to earn, it totally depends on a person's travel pattern. There is no specific rule that applies here.

As for what's more valuable, obviously airline miles. But a longshot. Especially with the ability to turn these miles into car rentals, hotel rooms, etc, generally at very good rates (especially for elite members).
Old May 5, 2013, 9:23 am

Programs: AMEX Plat, AAdvantage Gold, UA, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by hiltonlondon2009
Well, if the question is what's easier to earn, it totally depends on a person's travel pattern. There is no specific rule that applies here.

As for what's more valuable, obviously airline miles. But a longshot. Especially with the ability to turn these miles into car rentals, hotel rooms, etc, generally at very good rates (especially for elite members).
Actually the most valuable points in my opinion are SPG- they become airline miles at 1.25x
Old May 5, 2013, 10:06 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, Hilton HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by AAmlgm8r
^

For some, an important factor is the time spent in the hotel vs. the time spent on a plane. Five hours on a transcon, or on a flight over the pond is not a long time when compared to 24 hours (or longer) in a hotel. It's all about what is more valuable to each person for their individual circumstances.
That reasoning only applies - in my mind - to resorts in beach destinations where there's nothing else to do around. Otherwise, no matter where you go, spending the vast majority of your time at a hotel is a complete waste of time and money. But that's me indeed.
Old May 5, 2013, 5:58 pm

Originally Posted by sprials
Airline loyalty programs generally belong to the airline and the cost of giving you a ticket is when they expect that seat to go out empty is very marginal cost since their costs are more from fixed costs of flying a plane from A->B. Hotel loyalty programs have to pay the hotel owner when u stay there.
Don't hotel owners join loyalty programs to drive traffic to their properties and fill rooms that would otherwise go empty? Or fill them at higher prices that more than offset the cost of the program and the reduced rates for points redemptions? The middleman (loyalty program) does complicate things for the hotel scenario, but I don't really think it's that different.
Old May 6, 2013, 5:20 am

Programs: Caesars-Diamond Hilton-Diamond IHG-Plat MGM-Gold Wyndham-Diamond Hertz-PresCircle National-Exec
+1

It's best to accumulate lots of both but, like many others, I value air miles above hotel points.
Old May 6, 2013, 8:27 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
A few years ago, I would have said that the general observation of the OP is true: it's easier to earn large quantities of airline miles than it is a similarly-meaningful quantity of hotel points, regardless of whether you personally value hotel points or airline miles more.

Three reasons:
- Elite bonuses were 100% or more on midlevel tiers like UA 1P. Plus various route bonuses and seasonal bonuses were much more common. Hotel elite bonuses, even for high tier, were usually in the 50% range or less.
- Airlines were out in front of the hotels when it came to BIG credit card bonuses. My first 70k airline signup bonus was the DL Amex in 2000 or so. The hotel cards have been out there for a while but have only really ramped up the bonuses and annual renewal perks in the past few years.
- Airlines have always had many more partners than hotel programs. Both other airlines and other random products like flowers, rental cars, banks, etc. Some of those now do hotel points as well, but the best bonuses and promotions have usually been for air miles.

But I'd say the gap is closing a bit these days. I find it pretty easy to earn lots of both.

I personally value them both very highly. Sure, anybody can survive in a small seat at the back of a metal tube for 12 hours. And sure, I can always camp, stay in a hostel, or (in a fairly limited part of the world) use Priceline. On some types of trips, I might even look forward to doing exactly those things. But on other trips, I'm really happy I have points and miles to book J/F seats and a high-end hotel that takes good care of its elite members. I don't see why it has to be an either-or thing when collecting both is pretty easy.
Old May 6, 2013, 8:27 am

Completely agree. ^
Old May 6, 2013, 8:58 am

Programs: AA LT Gold, Starwood Gold, Hertz Gold, HHonors Gold, IHG Plat., BFD
Originally Posted by pinniped
A few years ago, I would have said that the general observation of the OP is true: it's easier to earn large quantities of airline miles than it is a similarly-meaningful quantity of hotel points, regardless of whether you personally value hotel points or airline miles more.

Three reasons:
- Elite bonuses were 100% or more on midlevel tiers like UA 1P. Plus various route bonuses and seasonal bonuses were much more common. Hotel elite bonuses, even for high tier, were usually in the 50% range or less.
- Airlines were out in front of the hotels when it came to BIG credit card bonuses. My first 70k airline signup bonus was the DL Amex in 2000 or so. The hotel cards have been out there for a while but have only really ramped up the bonuses and annual renewal perks in the past few years.
- Airlines have always had many more partners than hotel programs. Both other airlines and other random products like flowers, rental cars, banks, etc. Some of those now do hotel points as well, but the best bonuses and promotions have usually been for air miles.

But I'd say the gap is closing a bit these days. I find it pretty easy to earn lots of both.

I personally value them both very highly. Sure, anybody can survive in a small seat at the back of a metal tube for 12 hours. And sure, I can always camp, stay in a hostel, or (in a fairly limited part of the world) use Priceline. On some types of trips, I might even look forward to doing exactly those things. But on other trips, I'm really happy I have points and miles to book J/F seats and a high-end hotel that takes good care of its elite members. I don't see why it has to be an either-or thing when collecting both is pretty easy.
^^ Bingo!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.