Need help SYD-NYC for a new guy [18 June 2012]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Need help SYD-NYC for a new guy [18 June 2012]

Search this Thread

Old Jun 15, 2012, 2:19 pm

Originally Posted by dshargorodsky
... and I would avoid United like the plague...
I just booked SFO-SYD on UA business class. Could you explain why one should avoid UA?
Old Jun 15, 2012, 2:29 pm

Originally Posted by michael_v
I just booked SFO-SYD on UA business class. Could you explain why one should avoid UA?
I assumed that the OP is talking about flying in Y. I flew JFK-SFO-SYD in Y on UA and it doesn't compare to foreign carriers such as QF and Virgin Australia. I believe their premium cabins are better (I just booked SYD-SFO in UA F). They have no personal entertainment systems (which all their competition have) and the food is horrible. Compare that to QF, were the food was excellent. On UA, only senior flight attendants fly this route and it is clear that they do not enjoy their jobs. In the past 4 round-trips on QF, I have always had flight attendants who love their job and you can see the difference in service. While UA is an excellent domestic carrier, I would never pick it over QF/DJ/DL.
Old Jun 15, 2012, 2:41 pm

Programs: UA-1K, MM, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-Titanium
Originally Posted by michael_v
I think one reason is that their flights always seem to be delayed or go mechanical. I was originally booked from SFO to AKL via SYD in J and kept monitoring NZ. Once two J seats became available I switched and was very glad I did. Service was amazing. If you can go on NZ I would.
Old Jun 15, 2012, 11:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by cruisr
I think one reason is that their flights always seem to be delayed or go mechanical. I was originally booked from SFO to AKL via SYD in J and kept monitoring NZ. Once two J seats became available I switched and was very glad I did. Service was amazing. If you can go on NZ I would.
Hands down! NZ's premium cabin is way above United's and the crew far far better.
Old Jun 15, 2012, 11:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dee91
so what would i do? transfer MR points to wich airline? asian airlines? cathay? BA? if the value of the MR points are 1.7 adding the cost of fuel surcharges who would come out the cheapest?
Both CX and BA charge fuel surcharge. Both Asia Miles and BA Avios would cost quite a bit more than using either AA or DL miles, assuming you can get DL at low level redemption.

You would have to look it up the CX chart and BA chart and do the calculation yourself - after all, it is YOU who needs to fly.
Old Jun 15, 2012, 11:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
what about the other way round? qantas on AA? or ana on qantas or aa?
Perhaps it might be better for you to tell us exactly how many miles you have overall on which programme?

We're just guessing here and giving you ideas which may b impossible or you to do in a day! Asia Miles for example needs up to 72 hours to redeem partner awards.
Old Jun 16, 2012, 11:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Guy Betsy
Perhaps it might be better for you to tell us exactly how many miles you have overall on which programme?

We're just guessing here and giving you ideas which may b impossible or you to do in a day! Asia Miles for example needs up to 72 hours to redeem partner awards.
The OP does not have enough in the 2 programs he mentioned (AMEX Membership Reward or Chase Ultimate Reward) - read his posts closely - he is planning to buy either Membership Reward points or Ultimate Reward points from someone who is willing to sell to him - he wants the community to tell him which would be cheaper to redeem comparing to his cost of 1.7 or 1.8 cent per point to buy points, plus the fuel surcharges... Admittedly, at least he knows it is illegal. (well not illegal per se, but against the programs' T&Cs and both the buyer and the seller can lose everything should the banks find out, especially in light of the latest actions/stances taken by Chase as reported here and elsewhere...)

what my best option for 100k MR points? also assuming i could buy MR points at 1.7 or UR points at 1.8 what is my best option?
You can transfer your MR to Cathay Pacific or British Airways and use them for QF flights. I would recommend Cathay Pacific, because they do not have as many "surcharges" as BA charges. How would you buy MR points at 1.7 cents each? Your alternative would be Delta from SYD-LAX on the 19th and return flights are available on the 25th/26th/27th. It costs 100k DL miles (MR partner) + 116.20 (taxes+surcharges).
it is illegal to buy, but lets say i could possibly pay someone for driving me to the airport and in return he buys me a ticket using the miles,.. and the drive to the airport would make the trip worth 1.7 per mile used.... if you get the jist of this...
Understood, no further explanation needed . I think that Membership Rewards would be better than UR in your position. I would honestly consider making the trip longer due to the 14 hour time difference and spending 23 hours on a plane.

Last edited by Happy; Jun 16, 2012 at 12:04 pm
Old Jun 16, 2012, 2:18 pm

Programs: AA, Delta, UA & thanks to FTers for my PC Gold!
OP should first make sure there is award tix available...

Originally Posted by Happy
- read his posts closely - he is planning to buy either Membership Reward points or Ultimate Reward points from someone who is willing to sell to him - he wants the community to tell him which would be cheaper to redeem...
Like I had mentioned in post#2, award availability should be a more important factor to consider than "cost" at this point. Even if OP can "obtain" the needed points/miles within a relatively short period of time, all efforts will go out of the window when no award tix is available.

I guess it's time for OP to do his overdue homework.
Old Jun 16, 2012, 9:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by lin821
Like I had mentioned in post#2, award availability should be a more important factor to consider than "cost" at this point. Even if OP can "obtain" the needed points/miles within a relatively short period of time, all efforts will go out of the window when no award tix is available.

I guess it's time for OP to do his overdue homework.
Ah, OP wants the community do it for him...

Guess it aint going to happen - for the 18 June departure that is...
Old Jun 16, 2012, 9:26 pm
Original Poster

guys lets not get upset here, this has been helping me alot!!!!
also, tho availability is important, i am still trying to figure out wich would be the cheapest option say if i wanted to book another ticket in a year?
that way i could direct my mile earning in 1 program or another and work from there to availability..

i understand that my ticket will be on short notice...
so far it looks like united's 80k saaver economy is my best bet. with about 150? tax..

that would be valued at 1440 + tax well below the cheapest paid ticket.. from what i saw they were 2300.. what the question is tho, is wether in future there are other companies that amex or chase UR transfer to that would
A. cost less miles.
B. not charge - or charge small tax + fee's.

i.e
in the western hemisphere, AA has flights EZE-JFK RTN for 30k milesAAver eachway.
sometimes it has it for 40 but that is uber rare!!
amex had a promo swap 1 point for 1.5 BA.
BA charges 50k RTN for EZE-JFK but will book you on any AA sAAver flight.
so
34k MR = 51k BA. those 51 buy you the 60k AA flight
BA charges 100$ tax. AA charges 150-200$

so it was 34k MR + 100$ vs 60k AA + 150-200$

i'm looking for the most mile/money effective flights from SYD-JFK

again thanks guys!!
Old Jun 16, 2012, 10:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Dont know where your taxes and fee comparison coming from.

AA would not charge you any more taxes and fees than BA would charge you on any given award flight. The opposite is far more common. The only charge AA would have but BA does not, is the close-in fee. Sure, AA partner award must be booked over the phone so it is $25 extra, but good luck in being able to book a LA award on BA site despite in theory it should be done.

As for your A and B - based on the trends across all programs, it aint going to happen - i.e. cost less miles or have less taxes / fees. We would be lucky if they stay put at today's level.

Availability is the KEY whether you book it now or book it in a year. Cost is a consideration but if there is no availability, it means no go even if you pay much less to get your miles.

With AA you can book one way Saaver and one way AAnytime if need be. If AA does not have Saaver availability, your BA avios would not be able to book you anything on AA.

Furthermore, many changes on AA award are free to anyone. It would cost you $70 a pop on BA award. You also cannot change / cancel anything once you pass T-24 on your First leg of your itinerary, regardless of any circumstances, i.e. even with medical emergency or death in the family. You find out you could not travel and it is already T-24? Too bad, you forfeit everything if you have a BA award.

There are also a lot more to consider than the penny counting when it comes to award travel.

Last edited by Happy; Jun 16, 2012 at 10:18 pm
Old Jun 16, 2012, 10:17 pm

guys lets not get upset here, this has been helping me alot!!!!
also, tho availability is important, i am still trying to figure out wich would be the cheapest option say if i wanted to book another ticket in a year?
that way i could direct my mile earning in 1 program or another and work from there to availability..

i understand that my ticket will be on short notice...
so far it looks like united's 80k saaver economy is my best bet. with about 150? tax..

that would be valued at 1440 + tax well below the cheapest paid ticket.. from what i saw they were 2300.. what the question is tho, is wether in future there are other companies that amex or chase UR transfer to that would
A. cost less miles.
B. not charge - or charge small tax + fee's.

i.e
in the western hemisphere, AA has flights EZE-JFK RTN for 30k milesAAver eachway.
sometimes it has it for 40 but that is uber rare!!
amex had a promo swap 1 point for 1.5 BA.
BA charges 50k RTN for EZE-JFK but will book you on any AA sAAver flight.
so
34k MR = 51k BA. those 51 buy you the 60k AA flight
BA charges 100$ tax. AA charges 150-200$

so it was 34k MR + 100$ vs 60k AA + 150-200$

i'm looking for the most mile/money effective flights from SYD-JFK

again thanks guys!!
If you're interested in a premium cabin, Delta has low award availability on both the 18th and the 19th and you can return on the 27th. This would cost you 150,000 DL Skymiles and 116.20 in taxes...
Old Jun 16, 2012, 10:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If you're interested in a premium cabin, Delta has low award availability on both the 18th and the 19th and you can return on the 27th. This would cost you 150,000 DL Skymiles and 116.20 in taxes...
He would have to pony up 0.017 per mile to buy that...
Old Jun 16, 2012, 10:27 pm
Original Poster

wow!!!!! that sounds amazing considering people usually value delta miles as worthless.. maybe i could hook this up... great out of the box thinking!
Old Jun 17, 2012, 6:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

wow!!!!! that sounds amazing considering people usually value delta miles as worthless.. maybe i could hook this up... great out of the box thinking!
I guess you totally miss dshargorodsky's post no.12 on 6/15 suggesting you to look at DL.

Your alternative would be Delta from SYD-LAX on the 19th and return flights are available on the 25th/26th/27th. It costs 100k DL miles (MR partner) + 116.20 (taxes+surcharges).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.