Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > MilesBuzz
Reload this Page >

In this game we play, what have you been kicked out of?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 8, 2012, 5:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA ltg, B6, DL, UA, AS, SPG/Marriott Plt, HH, Hyatt

K, be honest, and please, avoid the ethics and the blasts (yah ryt)...

What have you been kicked out of whilst doing the games and schemes surrounding your quests for miles, points, cash back, rebates, rewards, etc?

For me, I'll start off with these:

Amex - for like 16 years I was OUT! Don't ask--long story I aint gettin' into. But just last week I finally got one of me own. All this time when I have posted about 'my Amex' in here, I have been referring, for ease of discussion, to the many cards on which I am the secondary or auth user on someone else's (and have helped them get the card, points, etc). You know what I mean. But like I said, I now have one and will go get more lol. My credit has been in the mid to high 700s for a decade anyway so it's all good.

Amex GCs - Got kicked out in the summer and was finally told by some higher up on the phone after pulling teeth to get to that person that it's a bad business decision for them to allow me to continue to buy them online. Coins, Square, etc... that'll do ya!

Square - $60+k in swipes (of mostly GCs) generated the kiss of death two emails. Even as they allow GCs, they figured I was not worthy. So be it. No losses to report, only gains. I think Square is corrupt but they think that of me so we are even lol.

Costco.com (not the store, just the online entity, which IS separate!) - Diamonds. 8 years, 2x per. I was a liability with a 100% return rate and they knew about rewards cards use, as they claimed this actually costs them more in % fees. Nuf said. Got a call from a very nice man named Dave who laid it out and said see ya.

SalemFive Bank - a local, smaller bank in my area and around Boston. I churned too many coins through them along with other legitimate banking products that the small bank just cannot handle the risk for that larger banks easily can. Manager asked me to come in and axed me in person. VP and I later chatted on the phone and she said the same thing. See ya! Yup, they even closed my kids' accounts and mailed me checks from their savings there. I opened them new ones at a different bank that day though and neither of us suffered any trouble, CTRs, issues. The bank just told me they would not like to do bitness wit me no more.

Danvers Bank - local bank in my area...same as above bank, but in this case I was ASKED to close my account, which I did on my own, and told I could some day consider opening another. Then it was bought by People's United and I did just open one up. A simple checking account - with the same manager who opened my last one, in the same branch. I did so mainly because they happen to have a branch in the ski town we frequent and you all know how it's great to avoid ATM fees should you need cash on the fly. So that one doesn't really count.

Amazon Payments - Yup, I set up 6 way back, and had lots of fun... My mistake was to forget I had the same CC in two of 'em at one point so I got nailed. oh well. Now, about 7 months later I tried to revive my life there and WAS able to bring up one account but even as me and 2 other family members were willing to provide SSNs and create new, real accounts, which AZ Payments now asks for, they would not open up the 3 way circle for us. And their method of doing things and approaching people is very much like Amex and Square... they simply do not reply, or they do so cryptically, so you give up.

Venmo - Didn't really kick me out, but many here are familiar with the process... start out with $2500 availability, then they ask for IDs, then it drops to $1200 or something, and then sharply to like $500, and now mine's like $50/mo. Not even worth using.

CVS - not kicked out but this did happen:
We mileage people are often seen as shammers by the unknowing masses, and in a way, we are 'into' that type of thinking and we often laugh because if and when any official finds out WHY we did X, it is they who look foolish.

My favorite personal example of this is from one day last year when I went to CVS in my own town to buy like 8 $500 gift cards WITH 8 $500 Amex gift cards. I did it and paid and had to show my license, and I chatted with the clerk like I have done for the 6 years we have frequented that same store.

A few days later a town cop calls me and asks me to visit him. I know him cuz we both have kids in the school so I go in. He asks me to come to the back and brings out a folder and says... now I know this HAS to be nothing, but I have to ask... what’s this all about? I tell him about miles and cash back and he laughs and tosses it in the bin. I am like... who called YOU? The officer says it was a CVS manager and once he understood what I was doing, he laughs too and rolls his eyes saying something along the lines of, yah, some people shouldn't be employed.

I walk into the CVS later and find that manager and have it out with her live in the store. She claims that what I did is against corp policy and looked like fraud. I tell her it is not and SHOW her terms of things I had printed out and brought with me, etc, and I reminded her that my license, medical and personal info are on file in this store and that this is embarrassing. AND the fact I have actually done this very same thing at about 3 other CVS and grocery stores with upwards of $10,000 in gift cards in the past 6 months alone without issue!

The next day I go buy other gift cards the same way at the CVS in the next town. There continue to be no issues with this process. I even ASK them if it's ok, to which the girl working there says, yup, I even have done it.

A week later I visit the CVS store in my town. That manager and clerk are gone.

Several Bars - But that's another story for another day

Surely, for me, more will come, but there ya go. In some circles these are badges of honour, and note the UK spelling of that word, so it looks more official!

I know many may judge or try to fire off how bad this all seems, but hey... it happens to many here and there are many factors. I's not necessarily where you live, how vocal or not you are, how much or how frequently you do XYZ... It could be anything. Some say Square and Venmo, for example, have a 'lifespan' and you max it out regardless. Others could claim I went too big on this or that; then again, what is considered 'too much' for one person is not enough for another. Remember, the goal here is simply to report the stuff and have a look at some crazy stories we all do have. Some could be fun to read, eh?

Now I'd love to hear some dirt from others about airlines, stores, CCs, etc that you too have um been asked to no longer do business with...

MM
Old Jan 8, 2012, 8:53 am

there have been a couple others in the past, but just this week I got the ax from groupon. Whenever I bought anything, I would refer myself using a different email address. No big deal as still have millions of email addresses and they will probably be out of business in couple years anyway.
Old Jan 8, 2012, 9:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by nathanielm
there have been a couple others in the past, but just this week I got the ax from groupon. Whenever I bought anything, I would refer myself using a different email address. No big deal as still have millions of email addresses and they will probably be out of business in couple years anyway.
oh that's a good one!! hope you got some deals.

I got kicked out of FT too but got let back in. Only a week or so, but yeah, it happened.
Old Jan 8, 2012, 10:46 am
In memoriam

I never got kicked out of anything related to miles getting. Is that bad?

Oh, wait, did get kicked out of the Mint--but that was everyone wasn't it?

Guess my philosophy is not to push the limits and not work too hard at this hobby thing. There is so much low-hanging fruit why risk falling out of the tree?
Old Jan 8, 2012, 10:50 am

Programs: HHonors Silver
Why do you buy so many CVS GCs?
Old Jan 8, 2012, 11:08 am

Programs: CO, BA, UA, AA, PC, HH, MARRIOT, HYATT, MR, STARWOOD
I am ashamed to say I have only been kicked out of one-@5 years ago, maybe more, some google payment thingy had 2 stackable discounts totaling 50% off of Ritz Camera (online only). I got @$5k worth of $40 GC. I spent a few days trying to figure out what I could buy and then resell, called in to place 100 $40 GC for a bunch of laptops, got the phone call from fraud and rolled over. Good thing, I think even at 50% off, I would have lost money with Ritz, may they rot in online hell.

Last edited by philemer; Jan 9, 2012 at 5:46 am Reason: removed quoted post that is now deleted
Old Jan 8, 2012, 11:16 am

Ah, I thought the thread title meant what flights/hotels/things like that have you been kicked out of, not which programmes.

I guess I don't live on the edge enough, because I'm not really sure I've ever been kicked out of any such programmes. I've probably been written off from some due to long periods of inactivity.

Once, my Federal Express account was suspended, because the credit card on file was no longer valid, but they didn't bother to tell me. They still shipped the package, but being unable to charge for it, they suspended the account, without bothering to send a letter or email to that effect. I discovered this the next time I needed to ship a package, and trying to get it reactivated on short order made my feel like I had fallen out of reality and into a story by Franz Kafka.

Does that count? No miles or hotel points or anything like that involved.
Old Jan 8, 2012, 11:31 am

Programs: CO, BA, UA, AA, PC, HH, MARRIOT, HYATT, MR, STARWOOD
Originally Posted by buzzsaw999
Ah, I thought the thread title meant what flights/hotels/things like that have you been kicked out of, not which programmes.

I guess I don't live on the edge enough, because I'm not really sure I've ever been kicked out of any such programmes. I've probably been written off from some due to long periods of inactivity.

Once, my Federal Express account was suspended, because the credit card on file was no longer valid, but they didn't bother to tell me. They still shipped the package, but being unable to charge for it, they suspended the account, without bothering to send a letter or email to that effect. I discovered this the next time I needed to ship a package, and trying to get it reactivated on short order made my feel like I had fallen out of reality and into a story by Franz Kafka.

Does that count? No miles or hotel points or anything like that involved.
No novels by Kafka count.
Old Jan 8, 2012, 11:50 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Marathon Man
Amazon Payments - Yup, I set up 6 way back, and had lots of fun... My mistake was to forget I had the same CC in two of 'em at one point so I got nailed. oh well. Now, about 7 months later I tried to revive my life there and WAS able to bring up one account but even as me and 2 other family members were willing to provide SSNs and create new, real accounts, which AZ Payments now asks for, they would not open up the 3 way circle for us. And their method of doing things and approaching people is very much like Amex and Square... they simply do not reply, or they do so cryptically, so you give up.

Just these guys. Got a phone call from someone at AP telling me I was no longer welcome. Haven't tried going back.

But for a time, it was -very- beneficial to my miles earning efforts.
Old Jan 8, 2012, 12:22 pm

The OP clearly does his best to blatantly abuse offers at every conceivable opportunity. Then he complains endlessly (in other threads) when companies ban him. I for one commend them for doing so.

Too much free time on his hands. :-)

Last edited by philemer; Jan 9, 2012 at 5:48 am Reason: removed now deleted quoted post
Old Jan 8, 2012, 12:45 pm

There's use and there's abuse. Most of these examples seem like abuse to me. I've made 100s of thousands of miles but have never been kicked out of anything.
Old Jan 8, 2012, 4:05 pm

Programs: AA, BA, UA, Spirit, Delta, PC Plat, SPG Gold, HHonors Diamond, Club Carlson Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by finite7777
On the contrary, but personal attacks are never called for. If you don't like the thread, don't participate. I try to learn from other people's experiences...
I agree. I would never go to the lengths OP does, but not because of morals and ethics. I would be more concerned with a hobby turning into an obsession, because in all honesty the way OP describes his sheninagans sounds like too much work to me. There are better and more productive ways to spend one's spare time than to try and exaust every single loophole that exists out there, but I guess for those who love a good challenge it might sound like fun.

Since I get the majority of my miles and points via CC appo-ramas with an occasional promotion thrown in for good measure here and there, I've never used (or abused) any payment programs beyond the need of meeting spend requirements. As a result, I have never been kicked out of anything. Yet
Old Jan 8, 2012, 6:35 pm

What's the use of CVS GC?

What is the method of turning around and using the CVS GC easily since you can't buy that much of CVS products.

Originally Posted by Marathon Man
K, be honest, and please, avoid the ethics and the blasts (yah ryt)...

What have you been kicked out of whilst doing the games and schemes surrounding your quests for miles, points, cash back, rebates, rewards, etc?

For me, I'll start off with these:

Amex - for like 16 years I was OUT! Don't ask--long story I aint gettin' into. But just last week I finally got one of me own. All this time when I have posted about 'my Amex' in here, I have been referring, for ease of discussion, to the many cards on which I am the secondary or auth user on someone else's (and have helped them get the card, points, etc). You know what I mean. But like I said, I now have one and will go get more lol. My credit has been in the mid to high 700s for a decade anyway so it's all good.

Amex GCs - Got kicked out in the summer and was finally told by some higher up on the phone after pulling teeth to get to that person that it's a bad business decision for them to allow me to continue to buy them online. Coins, Square, etc... that'll do ya!

Square - $60+k in swipes (of mostly GCs) generated the kiss of death two emails. Even as they allow GCs, they figured I was not worthy. So be it. No losses to report, only gains. I think Square is corrupt but they think that of me so we are even lol.

Costco.com (not the store, just the online entity, which IS separate!) - Diamonds. 8 years, 2x per. I was a liability with a 100% return rate and they knew about rewards cards use, as they claimed this actually costs them more in % fees. Nuf said. Got a call from a very nice man named Dave who laid it out and said see ya.

SalemFive Bank - a local, smaller bank in my area and around Boston. I churned too many coins through them along with other legitimate banking products that the small bank just cannot handle the risk for that larger banks easily can. Manager asked me to come in and axed me in person. VP and I later chatted on the phone and she said the same thing. See ya! Yup, they even closed my kids' accounts and mailed me checks from their savings there. I opened them new ones at a different bank that day though and neither of us suffered any trouble, CTRs, issues. The bank just told me they would not like to do bitness wit me no more.

Danvers Bank - local bank in my area...same as above bank, but in this case I was ASKED to close my account, which I did on my own, and told I could some day consider opening another. Then it was bought by People's United and I did just open one up. A simple checking account - with the same manager who opened my last one, in the same branch. I did so mainly because they happen to have a branch in the ski town we frequent and you all know how it's great to avoid ATM fees should you need cash on the fly. So that one doesn't really count.

Venmo - Didn't really kick me out, but many here are familiar with the process... start out with $2500 availability, then they ask for IDs, then it drops to $1200 or something, and then sharply to like $500, and now mine's like $50/mo. Not even worth using.

CVS - not kicked out but this did happen:
We mileage people are often seen as shammers by the unknowing masses, and in a way, we are 'into' that type of thinking and we often laugh because if and when any official finds out WHY we did X, it is they who look foolish.

My favorite personal example of this is from one day last year when I went to CVS in my own town to buy like 8 $500 gift cards WITH 8 $500 Amex gift cards. I did it and paid and had to show my license, and I chatted with the clerk like I have done for the 6 years we have frequented that same store.

A few days later a town cop calls me and asks me to visit him. I know him cuz we both have kids in the school so I go in. He asks me to come to the back and brings out a folder and says... now I know this HAS to be nothing, but I have to ask... what’s this all about? I tell him about miles and cash back and he laughs and tosses it in the bin. I am like... who called YOU? The officer says it was a CVS manager and once he understood what I was doing, he laughs too and rolls his eyes saying something along the lines of, yah, some people shouldn't be employed.

I walk into the CVS later and find that manager and have it out with her live in the store. She claims that what I did is against corp policy and looked like fraud. I tell her it is not and SHOW her terms of things I had printed out and brought with me, etc, and I reminded her that my license, medical and personal info are on file in this store and that this is embarrassing. AND the fact I have actually done this very same thing at about 3 other CVS and grocery stores with upwards of $10,000 in gift cards in the past 6 months alone without issue!

The next day I go buy other gift cards the same way at the CVS in the next town. There continue to be no issues with this process. I even ASK them if it's ok, to which the girl working there says, yup, I even have done it.

A week later I visit the CVS store in my town. That manager and clerk are gone.

Several Bars - But that's another story for another day

Surely, for me, more will come, but there ya go. In some circles these are badges of honour, and note the UK spelling of that word, so it looks more official!

I know many may judge or try to fire off how bad this all seems, but hey... it happens to many here and there are many factors. I's not necessarily where you live, how vocal or not you are, how much or how frequently you do XYZ... It could be anything. Some say Square and Venmo, for example, have a 'lifespan' and you max it out regardless. Others could claim I went too big on this or that; then again, what is considered 'too much' for one person is not enough for another. Remember, the goal here is simply to report the stuff and have a look at some crazy stories we all do have. Some could be fun to read, eh?

Now I'd love to hear some dirt from others about airlines, stores, CCs, etc that you too have um been asked to no longer do business with...

MM
Old Jan 8, 2012, 7:09 pm
Formerly known as MLW20

Programs: AA LT GOLD, Delta, UA/Continental & many others
I'd like to know why the OP needs so many CVS gift cards? What is the benefit to trading in an Amex gc for CVS...

Last edited by MichaelWTravels; Jan 8, 2012 at 9:23 pm
Old Jan 8, 2012, 7:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by biggestbopper
I never got kicked out of anything related to miles getting. Is that bad?

Oh, wait, did get kicked out of the Mint--but that was everyone wasn't it?

Guess my philosophy is not to push the limits and not work too hard at this hobby thing. There is so much low-hanging fruit why risk falling out of the tree?
lol well yes the low fruit is plenty but I just went for what I saw.
besides I am a part time consultant and stay at home dad. I have TIME on my hands... (This will answer the wonderings of many here who want to know if I was too involved with such things. Answer is, Yup, and it's giving me many a mile)

As for the mint I got kicked out of that like 2 weeks before more did. But then yes, we all did. So we are all bad people I guess.

Originally Posted by thehonestaviator
You know you are true scum when you start a thread to advertise how scummy you are.
There's an 'ignore poster' right there!

Originally Posted by allanfan
Why do you buy so many CVS GCs?
Some cash out vehicles could at the time be useable with little or no loss in fee but did not work for Amex GCs, only Visa/MC. CVS sold Visa ones so you had to convert the AMEX ones to Visa Ones.

Originally Posted by kilton
The OP clearly does his best to blatantly abuse offers at every conceivable opportunity. Then he complains endlessly (in other threads) when companies ban him. I for one commend them for doing so.

Too much free time on his hands. :-)
An example I give to that commonly used 'dig' is this: I don't currently watch a lot of sports or late night news. Many people I know do that, so whose wasting time?

As for abuse, no my friend. No. But before you too end up on my 'ignore poster' list, here's some babble fer ya:

I did exactly and only what the rules on each program had in play at the time. If I bent them and got past it, so be it. BUT, if in so doing, they nailed me, then no, I did not complain. I spoke up, I contested, I tried to do what I could to stay in it, but there's a big difference.

And oh yes I did try to find out WHY I got booted from X or what exactly was the reason, but often times, as is evident in those many threads you mention, the companies themselves are pretty scheme-ridden for NOT disclosing quite everything! You know exactly what I mean. Please don't insult the intelligence of others in here by saying you don't.

I push it. Yup, I do. Again, that could be all relative but let's not bring family into this (I will say that with the UA MoM promo and Cartera malls, I have NOT been kicked out nor have I broken ANY rule they have had in case any are wondering) But there is no crime in trying to push the envelope. There sure should not ever be now should there?

I simply placed my findings here for others to read and either say, well I am not alone, or say, well I wont do THAT! Or glad that's still working for me.

Anyway, We all learn from and gain from the experiences we test and the ones others show us. It's our responsibility to get into the things and that I accept at all times. All I wanna ever know in 'rules' life is WHY. I recall a time as a 7 year old when I got in trouble at school and the teacher told me to sit in that chair... I did, and I had to talk with her on whatever I had done or the rules... but what I did ask her was... WHY is that a rule? It doesn't seem like a good rule. I could say Ok I am in trouble but can you tell me WHY? She could not. Would not. And this, my friends, is actually what got me more upset than any of the rest. Fast forwarding to now, I find some companies, and some people--especially self righteous persons who end up revealing themselves as being 'all about me,' power-hungry managers or the like, often will not nor cannot explain *****. They just know and quote policy for the sake of policy. And they tend to thrive off of any hint of demise on the part of another, which I find lower than low.

In fact, I find that, and those who support that notion, to be worse than anything they can accuse me of being. Then again, this gets into the ethics side, which we should avoid. Of course, this IS my thread and I can scam if I want to, scam if I want to.

But whatever... People can think what they want. I'm just sayin.

In all cases above I have described what it was and why I got booted. I accept 'em all. Aint complaining. (cept with Amex GC, which STILL cannot or will not tell me truths, but hides behind inconsistencies. Anyone who has come close to my dealings with them knows EXACTLY what I mean)

AZ payments knows its own program has holes and so it seems to pick and choose but yeah I blew that one. So be it. Tried to get back in too but it's probably more effort than it's worth (so yes, I too have limits)

The small bank? Well, who cares. Affects me in no real way. You read the rest.

Square has its own problems. Now, I can tell you all that I have probably saved the butts of at least 50 FTers who have PMd me (many I never spoke to before) with whom I shared my dealings so they could avoid similar fates. In some cases, people have had monies held by Square who accuses you of using GCs too much to swipe. And yet they have sent me an email STATING that GCs are perfectly fine. If you get your money held, guess who parties on the interest of say, $10,000 for 30-60 days while you wait to get it back? Does this make ME bad or them? Didn't happen to me but I bet some here know to what I refer and may have been glad to have read about other failures before hand.

Costco.com? Well, yah. Ok. Fine. the battles on what people should do with that one have gone on for a long time in this and in MilePoint but I'm not here to fight that war now. I did well with the gig for years, then paid my dues: It's over for me. If you try it, be careful. There... my experience helps you going forward.

I have been 'let back in' as I have said, to all the rest.

So yeah... Let's see some more, people!

thanks for all the posts so far!

MM

Last edited by aviators99; Jan 8, 2012 at 8:18 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.