Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Chase Sapphire Preferred is now 40K [$3000 in 3 months]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 21, 2013, 11:36 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: beltway
Q. What are the best current offers?

Offer for 50K points for $3K spend over 3 months; AF waived first year, $125 thereafter. Extra 5K for adding additional cardholder.

Offer for 40K points for $3K spend over 3 months; AF waived first year, $95 thereafter. Extra 5K for adding additional cardholder.

Offer for 40K points for $2K spend over 3 months; AF waived first year, $95 thereafter.

Q. I just met the spend requirement. When will I receive my signup bonus points?

A. In most cases, your bonus will be credited after the close of the monthly billing cycle in which you meet the spend requirement. (Chase never posts signup bonuses mid-cycle.)

However, owing to a quirk in Chase's system, bonuses associated with charges incurred in the last ~7 days of a billing period may not post until the end of the following billing period. This is true even if the charges appear on your current statement and generate the standard number of points per dollar spent.

Thus, if you meet your bonus spend threshold late in your billing cycle, you may not receive the corresponding signup bonus until the following month. Calling Chase to complain will not change this, so be patient and enjoy your points when they finally appear.

Q. Can I apply for this card and earn the bonus after doing so previously?

A. See the wiki and related discussion in Applying for Chase Credit Cards [Consolidated]
Print Wikipost

Chase Sapphire Preferred is now 40K [$3000 in 3 months]

Search this Thread

Old Jun 21, 2011, 10:28 pm

Programs: Amex Plat, AA, BA Silver, Marriott Plat, Choice Gold, HHonors Gold, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by Happy
metoo,

No, it is NOT meant for you. You are just the bearer of bad news, that is all. And actually we ought to thank you for posting this new data.

Sorry for the misunderstanding.

My comment is meant to the poster who said those of us hoping to get the bump up is looking for a "free lunch" and there is no such thing. To that I should say more bluntly, that the person is like the pot calling the kettle black, as if he never has taken any advantage of price error, system loophole, etc etc in his whole life.

See the quote below - that is what I mean, the poster is out of line in making that kind of accusation. I also feel the CSRs did not promise such bump ups because they were "overwhelmed". The reality might very well be, it has been Chase recent policy to win customers, judging from the match of CO offer, PC offer and Southwest offer in the last few months. Would anyone naive enough to think a CSR without being authorized to do so, would hand out 50K bonus when requested, just because they are "overwhelmed" by the requests? Try this in your real day job and see if you do something like give customer a big promo or a big discount, something with good monetary value, WITHOUT being authorized to do so, what might happen to you day job?

It is just that this Sapphire offer is an In-House Chase card and most likely have higher cost in award structure so when the applications and requests rushing in, someone finally did some hard number crunching and immediately change the current match up policy.

That is why the quoted post below is, well, out of line (reserved my other words.)

Originally Posted by lwildernorva View Post
Let's see. Chase decides to do a targeted promo for extra miles off a promo generally distributed. Targeted means not everybody. Then everybody who hangs out here, who knows they weren't targeted for this promo, decides to call Chase because they've been told that, naturally, any credit card company will "bump the bonus," without regard for the fact that points cost some money. CSRs overwhelmed with calls make promises they're not empowered to keep. The folks who know they weren't supposed to get the bonus now want to complain that they're not getting the "bump."

Welcome to 21st Century financial tactics.

As one of my economics professors used to say, "There's no such thing as a free lunch."
If you're going to call into question my ethics, you'd better know who I am. And you don't.

I call attention to errors made in my favor in restaurants, in hotels, and in many other areas of my life. I do not do this because I think I'm morally superior. I do this because I don't believe in taking advantage of those situations--and here's why. It's generally the poor person on the front line, who could be you, could be me, and who could've been my mother and father, who bears the brunt of that mistake, many times losing their jobs, or having to make good the money discrepancy out of their own pockets, or at the very least, being given some sort of reprimand that goes into their personnel record, I think unfairly, for their actions. And rarely is the guy in the front office who made the mistake in adopting the policy that results in this kind of action sanctioned in any way, and in fact, he generally gets a nice bonus if sending a targeted offer works out, despite the misinterpretations on the front lines. See, I've learned, consequences generally happen to folks on the front lines, like the folks who post on these boards, and not to the folks in the front offices.

I suspect the folks who frequent this board are looking to stretch their travel dollars, and for the most part, the folks in the front offices aren't really doing that.

My comments, however, are directed towards the attitude that we're all entitled to the free lunch when we know the free lunch was not directed to us. We know that these are targeted offers. Read the posts; many folks here are making calls to CSRs knowing we weren't targeted for the offers, but we make calls to include ourselves in the free lunch anyway. And, we're giddy when we get included, even saying silly things like this is a sign of good customer service when we know that this is way above and beyond good customer service.

I don't think there's anything wrong with making that attempt (even if I might not make it myself). I think there's a lot wrong with the gnashing of teeth that occurs when it's discovered that those who weren't supposed to get these offers, aren't going to get these offers.

I think the silliness of targeted offers becomes apparent in the direction this thread is going. Plenty of people who should be happy getting 50K off Chase are going to be plenty ticked because they won't get 100K. They won't get 100K because they weren't targeted, but they reasonably are bothered that Chase so quickly changed the rules of the game for a small targeted audience (without any sense of what the targeting was--look at some of the posts here and in other threads that talk about offers being made to one spouse and not the other).

In the end, wouldn't Chase have simply been better off making the 100K offer to everyone up front? But I think Chase and Amex and a number of other financial institutions are beginning to realize that you can't "bump the bonus" to hundreds or thousands of people without paying a significant financial price. We do a disservice to ourselves when we don't realize this potential economic reality.

There are two avenues to those who don't like this business practice. Stop dealing with Chase and cancel your accounts. Or sue them for a breach of contract and see how well your arguments stand up in court. In some states, those arguments may succeed because of the way the laws are written; in other states, not so much. And I think we all pretty much know that Chase isn't going to care if hundreds of us here cancel our cards over the failed promises their CSRs made.

And, if you aren't trying to get the free lunch when you ask for an extra 50K points never directly promised to you when you applied for an offer limited to 50K points, what are you trying to get?
Old Jun 21, 2011, 11:05 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Starwood Gold
Originally Posted by jjmiller69
The only way it could be fraud is if you sent them a SM saying you had a offer and gave a fraudulent code. If you just asked for 50,000 more points because you heard someone else had one and they said yes, then they agreed to your request. I hope they reconsider as a good will gesture.
So, I read about the 100K offer and sent a secure message to Chase asking about it. I did not reference an offer number, only said that I knew someone who had received this promo and since I had only had my card for three weeks, would Chase consider me for the promo if I met their requirements for it. I noted that I was quite happy so far with Chase and the 50K as well and certainly did not make any demands. They replied quite quickly with a yes and 50K points were added to my account with the other 50K to be added after I spend the 3K. I have been a decades long customer of AE, but Chase is doing a good job of recruiting me to their side.
Old Jun 21, 2011, 11:12 pm

Originally Posted by TravelTexan
So, I read about the 100K offer and sent a secure message to Chase asking about it. I did not reference an offer number, only said that I knew someone who had received this promo and since I had only had my card for three weeks, would Chase consider me for the promo if I met their requirements for it. I noted that I was quite happy so far with Chase and the 50K as well and certainly did not make any demands. They replied quite quickly with a yes and 50K points were added to my account with the other 50K to be added after I spend the 3K. I have been a decades long customer of AE, but Chase is doing a good job of recruiting me to their side.
When exactly did you get the approval for 50k?
Old Jun 21, 2011, 11:56 pm

Programs: Lotz
Maybe when the USA csr's get back to work things will change back but I suspect the invitation number is a killer. Even the Columbia Grads AmEx promo didn't have invitation numbers and it got pulled.

Still, I suspect with the hit Chase took from the Cap1 Venture promo for 100K, they may be inclined to promo their Sapphire higher very soon so I'm going to sit it out a while. I don't see the 50K promo going away real soon and I think the 100K isn't dead. I think the invitation codes is a way to see how successful 100K would be.
Old Jun 21, 2011, 11:59 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Starwood Gold
Originally Posted by thexfactor
When exactly did you get the approval for 50k?
Next business day, so pretty quick IMHO.
Old Jun 22, 2011, 12:37 am

Here is what I would do, everybody call and threaten to cancel if they don't honor what they promised. So what? They are not the only game in town, other offers will come, we should send them a message. Amex in the same situation Honored their targeted offer. Frankly, because of that, I am going to make That Amex Gold my main business card , and I charge over $150k a year average. Chase need to be taught a lesson, if no additional 50K, everybody should cancel.
Old Jun 22, 2011, 12:52 am

Originally Posted by lwildernorva
If you're going to call into question my ethics, you'd better know who I am. And you don't.

I call attention to errors made in my favor in restaurants, in hotels, and in many other areas of my life. I do not do this because I think I'm morally superior. I do this because I don't believe in taking advantage of those situations--and here's why. It's generally the poor person on the front line, who could be you, could be me, and who could've been my mother and father, who bears the brunt of that mistake, many times losing their jobs, or having to make good the money discrepancy out of their own pockets, or at the very least, being given some sort of reprimand that goes into their personnel record, I think unfairly, for their actions. And rarely is the guy in the front office who made the mistake in adopting the policy that results in this kind of action sanctioned in any way, and in fact, he generally gets a nice bonus if sending a targeted offer works out, despite the misinterpretations on the front lines. See, I've learned, consequences generally happen to folks on the front lines, like the folks who post on these boards, and not to the folks in the front offices.

I suspect the folks who frequent this board are looking to stretch their travel dollars, and for the most part, the folks in the front offices aren't really doing that.

My comments, however, are directed towards the attitude that we're all entitled to the free lunch when we know the free lunch was not directed to us. We know that these are targeted offers. Read the posts; many folks here are making calls to CSRs knowing we weren't targeted for the offers, but we make calls to include ourselves in the free lunch anyway. And, we're giddy when we get included, even saying silly things like this is a sign of good customer service when we know that this is way above and beyond good customer service.

I don't think there's anything wrong with making that attempt (even if I might not make it myself). I think there's a lot wrong with the gnashing of teeth that occurs when it's discovered that those who weren't supposed to get these offers, aren't going to get these offers.

I think the silliness of targeted offers becomes apparent in the direction this thread is going. Plenty of people who should be happy getting 50K off Chase are going to be plenty ticked because they won't get 100K. They won't get 100K because they weren't targeted, but they reasonably are bothered that Chase so quickly changed the rules of the game for a small targeted audience (without any sense of what the targeting was--look at some of the posts here and in other threads that talk about offers being made to one spouse and not the other).

In the end, wouldn't Chase have simply been better off making the 100K offer to everyone up front? But I think Chase and Amex and a number of other financial institutions are beginning to realize that you can't "bump the bonus" to hundreds or thousands of people without paying a significant financial price. We do a disservice to ourselves when we don't realize this potential economic reality.

There are two avenues to those who don't like this business practice. Stop dealing with Chase and cancel your accounts. Or sue them for a breach of contract and see how well your arguments stand up in court. In some states, those arguments may succeed because of the way the laws are written; in other states, not so much. And I think we all pretty much know that Chase isn't going to care if hundreds of us here cancel our cards over the failed promises their CSRs made.

And, if you aren't trying to get the free lunch when you ask for an extra 50K points never directly promised to you when you applied for an offer limited to 50K points, what are you trying to get?

It's not like it's the AMEX Black Card or something where they only target based on specific reasons, this is from all appearances a random targeted offer, there is nothing wrong with nicely asking. But you are entitled to your opinion.
Old Jun 22, 2011, 1:01 am

Originally Posted by TravelTexan
Next business day, so pretty quick IMHO.
Which was not 6/21 (or more specifically the evening of 6/21 when people started getting rejected)... right?
Old Jun 22, 2011, 1:04 am

Originally Posted by cazic99
Here is what I would do, everybody call and threaten to cancel if they don't honor what they promised. So what? They are not the only game in town, other offers will come, we should send them a message. Amex in the same situation Honored their targeted offer. Frankly, because of that, I am going to make That Amex Gold my main business card , and I charge over $150k a year average. Chase need to be taught a lesson, if no additional 50K, everybody should cancel.
Well, technically, even if Chase does not match the extra 50k, they'd still be "honor[ing] what they promised." They only promised 50k for spending $3,000; not 100k.

But, that being said, I'd have to say it'd be pretty shortsighted for Chase not to honor the match and make us all happy Chase customers... Especially if they are going to upset a person, like you, who charges 150k/yr. Penny smart, pound foolish it seems.
Old Jun 22, 2011, 1:50 am

Programs: AA, DL, UA, US, RR, HH, SPG, PC
About a month ago I was approved for the regular Sapphire Card and right after read all the good news about the 50k Preferred Card. I immediately called and asked if I was able to upgrade (even though I hadnt received the card.)

I was told "no" and that I was welcome to apply for the higher card separately. Fast forward to tonight, I applied and got "decision pending". Aside from the bonus points and rewards, the no foreign transaction fee is really a selling point for me.
Old Jun 22, 2011, 2:32 am

Originally Posted by thexfactor
Well, technically, even if Chase does not match the extra 50k, they'd still be "honor[ing] what they promised." They only promised 50k for spending $3,000; not 100k.

But, that being said, I'd have to say it'd be pretty shortsighted for Chase not to honor the match and make us all happy Chase customers... Especially if they are going to upset a person, like you, who charges 150k/yr. Penny smart, pound foolish it seems.
Exactly, this is why we do a mass cancellation and quite frankly 50k points at 3k spending in 3 months is really not that great at all. Lets flood them with cancellations.
Old Jun 22, 2011, 2:33 am

Originally Posted by haiderodes
About a month ago I was approved for the regular Sapphire Card and right after read all the good news about the 50k Preferred Card. I immediately called and asked if I was able to upgrade (even though I hadnt received the card.)

I was told "no" and that I was welcome to apply for the higher card separately. Fast forward to tonight, I applied and got "decision pending". Aside from the bonus points and rewards, the no foreign transaction fee is really a selling point for me.
Honestly though, you can get the "No foreign fees" anywhere. Bonus points are the key here.
Old Jun 22, 2011, 3:29 am

Well read from yesterday afternoon forward and my pending approval doesn't seem to be as hot of a deal anymore, argh! Oh well. I'll still give it a shot if/when I get approval.
Old Jun 22, 2011, 4:33 am

Programs: DL PM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Going to sm them today when I get my card. If they won't match the 100k I won't even activate it. But I'll wait until they deny me to tell them that. I'm just going to ask nicely and tell them I'm considering switching from amex to them and see what they come back with
Old Jun 22, 2011, 6:20 am

Programs: MR PP, UA Silver, SW A-List, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by ianturner
Going to sm them today when I get my card. If they won't match the 100k I won't even activate it. But I'll wait until they deny me to tell them that. I'm just going to ask nicely and tell them I'm considering switching from amex to them and see what they come back with
That will sure show them. You want to get hit with a credit inquiry for nothing?

spending $3k to get $500-$625 isn't as good as spending $3k to get $1000-$1250, but it's sure better than nothing.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.