Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > MilesBuzz
Reload this Page >

Up to 40k AAdvantage Miles -- Citibank Checking for Citi AA cardholders

Up to 40k AAdvantage Miles -- Citibank Checking for Citi AA cardholders

Old Oct 11, 2010, 10:51 am

Originally Posted by jmw2323
Considering this is a bank card linked to a bank account, it makes no sense for it to be a credit trans. It's stated in the offers T&C as well. The CR has no idea what he or she is talking about.

1. To qualify for 20,000 AAdvantage bonus miles, open a new regular checking account in The Citibank Account or Citigold account package by 10/31/10. You must then begin performing at least 1 direct deposit to, or at least 2 electronic bill payments from, or 5 or more debit card purchases from, the checking account each month for 2 consecutive months. You must begin performing these qualifying account activities within 60 days of account opening.

Agreed but why chance it. I would just do credit.
Old Oct 11, 2010, 5:19 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by N_Phoenix
Agreed but why chance it. I would just do credit.
because if the CR was wrong you get nothing. I'd call back and get a 2nd opinion
Old Oct 11, 2010, 10:39 pm
Original Poster

If make credit purchases late in the month, and they don't post until the next month, for which month do they count?

And by "month" do they mean calendar month or statement month?

Thanks. I've messaged Citi with this questions but am still waiting for a response.
Old Oct 11, 2010, 11:14 pm

Programs: AAdvantage
Citi / AAdvantage credit card required or not required...that is the question.

I recently signed up for a Citibank Basic Checking account so I could earn AAdvantage miles with purchases from my debit card, but recently upgraded my account to a Citigold account. Now I found out about this promotion, so I contacted Citibank whether I still qualify or not and received this response:

Thank you for your recent message regarding eligibility to earn the 20,000 AAdvantage miles plus an additional 20,000 AAdvantage bonus miles.

I will be happy to assist you with your message today. If you received this promotion ( assuming that you have an existing Citi/AAdvantage Credit Card,) then your opening of a Citigold account is being tracked in the system. To qualify for 20,000 AAdvantage miles, you must within 60 days of account opening complete at least one direct deposit to, or at least two electronic bill payments from, the checking account, or five or more debit card purchases for two consecutive months to earn the first 20,000 American Airlines AAdvantage bonus miles.

To qualify for another 20,000 American Airlines AAdvantage bonus miles, you must deposit a minimum of $25,000 by 10/31/10 in new money (funds that are not from another account at Citi or affiliate of Citi) to a new or existing Citibank Savings Plus Account and complete one of the above qualifying activities from the checking account for an additional third month.

The 20,000 AAdvantage miles increments will be credited to customer's AAdvantage account within 90 days from the end of the statement period in which you met all qualifying requirements stated in this offer. Customer's Citibank regular checking account in the Citibank Account or Citigold account package and Citi /AAdvantage credit card account must be open and in good standing at the time the AAdvantage bonus miles are posted to customer's AAdvantage account.

Thank you for banking with Citigold. We appreciate your business and the opportunity to serve you.
I put the important sentences in bold. So from the sound of it, I can go ahead and try to complete the requirements, but I won't be sure whether or not I'll get the miles because I don't have a Citi / AAdvantage credit card. In other words, because I wasn't targeted and I'm not being tracked in the system.

So my question for the rest of you from your experiences is: will I have to have been targeted or own a Citi / AAdvantage credit card to get the miles?
Old Oct 12, 2010, 6:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA ltg, B6, DL, UA, AS, SPG/Marriott Plt, HH, Hyatt
Originally Posted by godlovesugly
If make credit purchases late in the month, and they don't post until the next month, for which month do they count?

And by "month" do they mean calendar month or statement month?

Thanks. I've messaged Citi with this questions but am still waiting for a response.
based on my past experience with citi promos, just save your receipts and the date of the transaction is what counts. Later, you will see these on your monthly statement and that same date should appear. Thus, if you did the transaction say, today, it will count. Again, always save your receipts
Old Oct 12, 2010, 7:25 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Marathon Man
based on my past experience with citi promos, just save your receipts and the date of the transaction is what counts. Later, you will see these on your monthly statement and that same date should appear. Thus, if you did the transaction say, today, it will count. Again, always save your receipts
They really ask for receipts? I've be making credit purchases where I don't get a receipt (i.e. vending machines, transit cards).
Old Oct 12, 2010, 7:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

They really ask for receipts? I've be making credit purchases where I don't get a receipt (i.e. vending machines, transit cards).
I'm not saying citi asks for receipts, but if you do transactions that give one, keep it and use it if needed to prove when something took place if you have to do that later on.
Old Oct 12, 2010, 7:55 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Marathon Man
I'm not saying citi asks for receipts, but if you do transactions that give one, keep it and use it if needed to prove when something took place if you have to do that later on.
Thanks. I actually just got a message from a CSR too, and updated the first post with the information. I never thought about keeping receipts but that seems wise whenever you're trying to fulfill an offer's terms.
Old Oct 12, 2010, 8:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks. I actually just got a message from a CSR too, and updated the first post with the information. I never thought about keeping receipts but that seems wise whenever you're trying to fulfill an offer's terms.
no worries...

my rule of thumb with ANY promo ANYWHERE is to keep EVERYTHING until your miles or points or whatever you are doing actually comes to fruition. I have been known to even keep a photocopy of the very envelope I might send out in the mail when doing some sort of rebate. The theory is that not only will you have things to back you up in case of error, but also, at the end of the day, the guy with the most paperwork wins.

then it makes for good fire starter material later.

I have also, in attempts to save paper, printed things to PDF or scanned them in. There are even apps out there that let you upload such pdf files or scans so that you can simply provide a link to someone in an email instead of having to attach the file. That way, if dealing with some agency that might not accept attachments, you can show them what you need to without having to worry.

This one does ok: http://issuu.com/

It can change fonts in PDFs but if you scan to image, that should work instead. If you do that, however, not all smart phones can see the image.

I know this veers off base a bit, but the idea with these promos--especially from Citi--is to be as thorough as possible. If you miss a beat, they WILL screw up and you will lose because of it. It's kinda like how if I'm driving my car up the highway and for a moment I do NOT think of the police. It is in that moment that one appears on the side of the road and I get nervous if I was speeding. Then it's all about stepping on the break in time.

So you gotta always look... and be extra prepared in promo land until you get where you are going.

MM
Old Oct 12, 2010, 8:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I would also print out the transaction activity in my checking acct to show the debit charges there.
Old Oct 12, 2010, 11:51 am

I know the safe thing to do would be to park the $25k in the savings account until the bonus posts.

However, having re-read the T&Cs and comments, I don't see how they can deny the extra 20k if the funds are deposited and stay until 10/31 before being yanked out.

The opportunity cost of keeping $25k in a low-interest account for 2 months+, vs. moving it back to a 4% reward checking account seems too high to me, and something Citibank shouldn't be able to reneg on if I dispute later.

On another note: those sweating the definition of a debit card purchase-- I think you'll be fine either way on whether it's processed as a debit or credit, but you can always try 5 of each in a month if you're that paranoid. Go to a grocery store self check-out for some small transactions or pay a bill/donate online in a few $1 increments if you need to.
Old Oct 13, 2010, 10:22 am

I am in for the initial 20k miles but there are conflicting reports in this thread as to whether there is or is not a monthly fee, is there a consensus here?
Old Oct 13, 2010, 10:45 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by fangtl
I am in for the initial 20k miles but there are conflicting reports in this thread as to whether there is or is not a monthly fee, is there a consensus here?
There IS a minimum of $6,000 to avoid fees. However, fees MAY be waived. In my case, my first month's fees were waived even though I did not meet the minimum holding requirement. I do not know if which, if any, of my future fees will be waived.
Old Oct 13, 2010, 1:56 pm

I am surprised with CITI customer service rep. I called to figure out how should I make the transfer of 25k in my savings. So, she said you can go to branch and do that. So far so good. Now comes the funny part, I asked her since I opened this account last month with promotion C22D, I want to make sure when and where my miles would go. Now, she has no idea where the AAdvantage number will be. She kept saying, it won't show up until you make the 25k deposit and I keep explaining that deposit is only required for 20k miles.

She then said, she needs to "enroll" me in the advantage program, I was like I already have advantage account. So, she goes I'll transfer you to advantage department and then can link your accounts. huh?

The only good thing I've done is linked my AA citi visa card with this accounts and it has my advantage number. Hope this will go smooth.

Does any one know how they figure out the advantage number ? I read earlier posts which says they will match by SSN (how? I don't think I gave my ssn to advatage program)
Old Oct 13, 2010, 2:21 pm

Programs: AA Plat, HH Diamond, SPG Gold
Not sure about the fuss over the SSN being used to find the AAdvantage number. It has nothing to do with AA having your SSN, and everything to do with having a Citi AAdvantage credit card.

I.e., Citi has your SSN on file (tied to cc); Citi has your AA number on file (tied to same cc); Citi uses your SSN to look up the Citi cc account where your AA number is on file. Pretty straightforward stuff.

Regarding the $25k savings deposit: I've carefully read the available supporting documentation at least three times, and AFAIK, the is no mention anywhere regarding a minimum deposit period. Based on my reading, there should be no consequence to depositing the $25k on 10/31 and withdrawing it on 11/1... personally, I'd be prepared to take that chance and do major battle with them if they tried to weasel out. (Disclaimer: not a lawyer, not a Citi employee, just experienced with this kind of stuff)

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.