Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Credit cards that allow first bag checked free

Search this Thread

Old Jun 21, 2010, 8:29 pm
Original Poster

Credit cards that allow first bag checked free

Relating to my earlier post, does anyone know of any credit cards that offer cardholders free checked bag benefits? I know of Delta's Amex card and Continental's Chase card. Am I missing any others? Even with an $85 annual fee, it seems like a worthwhile benefit for a non-elite FF. Especially in my case where I am taking 4-5 transcontinental flights a year with two heavy bags each time. I shudder to think how much they'll be making off me next year, since the $25/$35 seems to be the prevailing rate.
Old Jun 21, 2010, 10:00 pm

CO offers it w/ most of their cc's

Does DL offer it w/ their options card?
Old Jun 21, 2010, 10:11 pm

Originally Posted by vickh
CO offers it w/ most of their cc's
Would anyone happen to know if there is a no annual fee CO credit card that would include the no fee for a checked bag feature?
Old Jun 22, 2010, 8:22 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, SPG/Marriott Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by muji
Would anyone happen to know if there is a no annual fee CO credit card that would include the no fee for a checked bag feature?
You can get that feature with a Continental debit card, which has a $25 annual fee and offers 2 miles/$1 on spending. If you only check a bag once, it's probably worth it!
Old Jun 23, 2010, 9:42 am

Programs: AA, SWA, CO, UA, PC Plat, HH Gold, SPG
I just signed up for the Continental OnePass credit card - haven't received it in the mail yet. How does the one free bag benefit work - I understand you don't have to use that CC to get the free bag, just wondering how they know, do you show the card at the airport???
Old Jun 23, 2010, 7:44 pm

When you purchase your ticket with the credit card or use it to pay taxes on an award ticket, it it automatic, no fee is charged.

EDIT: Yes, you do have to use the card, other wise you will be charged.
Old Jun 23, 2010, 7:57 pm

Programs: AA, SWA, CO, UA, PC Plat, HH Gold, SPG
Originally Posted by lovetotravel
When you purchase your ticket with the credit card or use it to pay taxes on an award ticket, it it automatic, no fee is charged.

Great - thanks for the info!
Old Jun 23, 2010, 8:55 pm

Programs: AA, BA, WN CP, CO, AK, LH, DL, UA, VS, SPG, IHG, Hyatt, Hilton, Carlson, Fairmont Lifetime Plat
Free bag on United?

Is there a way to get a free bag on United? I'm not a FF.
Old Jun 24, 2010, 12:07 pm

Programs: Amex Plat, SPG Gold, Hyatt Plat, HH Gold

Don't believe this is true. The card (credit or debit) should be linked to your OnePass account. When you fly and use that OnePass number as your FF number in the reservation, there should not be a charge. If not, you should be able to simply show the card at the check-in area and avoid the charge.
Old Jun 24, 2010, 1:22 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
On the CO site under credit cards it says

First checked-bag fees automatically waived for primary cardmembers every time you fly on Continental-operated flights and pay for your tickets with the card (a savings of up to $50 per round trip per passenger checking bags)*

though in their page on baggage fees it says it will be waived for

Continental Airlines Chase primary cardmembers will have their first checked-bag fees automatically waived

without saying you need to charge the tickets to the card. So it appears it is based on which webpage you print out and bring
Old Jun 24, 2010, 1:35 pm

Programs: Amex Plat, SPG Gold, Hyatt Plat, HH Gold
Originally Posted by cordelli

First checked-bag fees automatically waived for primary cardmembers every time you fly on Continental-operated flights and pay for your tickets with the card (a savings of up to $50 per round trip per passenger checking bags)*

Continental Airlines Chase primary cardmembers will have their first checked-bag fees automatically waived

without saying you need to charge the tickets to the card. So it appears it is based on which webpage you print out and bring
Just my experience, since I have the debit card only and definitely do not use it buy the tickets.
Old Jun 24, 2010, 1:53 pm

This was my experience on June 8, taxes charged on the credit card, online check in did not ask for bag fees, when dropping of the bag, agent asked if we paid the bag fee and verified that the system did not ask for it. We kind of wondered, how the system know not to charge us, what was linked to what but it did work for us.
Old Jun 24, 2010, 2:06 pm

Originally Posted by cordelli

Wish Alaska Airlines would do this - I've been using their card for years.
Old Jun 25, 2010, 8:22 am

Originally Posted by dkelly1110
Don't believe this is true. The card (credit or debit) should be linked to your OnePass account. When you fly and use that OnePass number as your FF number in the reservation, there should not be a charge. If not, you should be able to simply show the card at the check-in area and avoid the charge.
Agree with this. I paid with a different credit card and was not charged the bag fee. I believe the distinction is if you HAVE the Continental card and it is linked, the bag fee will be waived, whether you charge your flight on that card or not.
Old Jun 25, 2010, 10:01 pm

Programs: Hyatt, HH, IHG, SPG, AA, WN
A couple of years ago when the Continental credit cards first had this feature, I applied for the credit card after the Continental tickets were purchased and the credit card arrived in the mail just before the flight. I had requested miles on Delta for that Continental flight, but was able to get fees for luggage waived, but it was not automatic. I had to ask for it and they turned to the Terms and conditions on the web site to verify the rules. In the end, the first bag fee was waived for each family member since all tickets were purchased in one transaction and I had that Continental credit card with me. Since Mr. BOGO has a credit card but is not the primary account holder, I wonder what would happen if he flew alone with a checked bag?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.