Community
Wiki Posts
Search

OT: Get points/miles with Paypal?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 11, 2011, 5:21 am
Original Poster

OT: Get points/miles with Paypal?

Anyone know if one can get points (on the Chase/UA card in this case) by making a credit card payment to someone via Paypal?

I need a few thousand UA miles and it would be much cheaper to make a Paypal "payment" to a friend with the card (and pay Paypal's 2.9% fee) rather than buying them from United at $75/1000.

Thanks!
Old Jul 11, 2011, 6:08 am

Yes, you do get points. Or use Square - https://squareup.com/ - for 2.75% transaction fee.
Old Jul 11, 2011, 7:31 am

Programs: NW Gold and now Delta Gold
Why don't you make a donation (rather than a payment) to the friend through Paypal? There is no more fee charged for receiving gifts, even if you have a Premier/business account. On another site, I'm involved in swapping hobby/collection items for my rockhound stuff, and when one of us makes a donation, just to pay the cost of shipping, by using the right Paypal button we don't have to pay a fee. If I sell an item, I'm still charged the fee of course. I have to admit the first time I got a gift and Paypal let me keep the whole gift, I about fell out of my chair. Not sure when they started this but it must be pretty recent for Premiers.
Old Jul 11, 2011, 7:38 am

Originally Posted by peachfront
Why don't you make a donation (rather than a payment) to the friend through Paypal? There is no more fee charged for receiving gifts, even if you have a Premier/business account. On another site, I'm involved in swapping hobby/collection items for my rockhound stuff, and when one of us makes a donation, just to pay the cost of shipping, by using the right Paypal button we don't have to pay a fee. If I sell an item, I'm still charged the fee of course. I have to admit the first time I got a gift and Paypal let me keep the whole gift, I about fell out of my chair. Not sure when they started this but it must be pretty recent for Premiers.
Correct me if I'm wrong here:

You can gift money fee-free, but the funds cannot be from a CC.

Also, make sure if you are going to be using Paypal to earn points to review the rules that they follow when reporting it as income to the IRS. There in a certain number of transactions and amount of money received that will flag your account for reporting.
Old Jul 11, 2011, 7:47 am

Originally Posted by Astrophsx
Correct me if I'm wrong here:

You can gift money fee-free, but the funds cannot be from a CC.

Also, make sure if you are going to be using Paypal to earn points to review the rules that they follow when reporting it as income to the IRS. There in a certain number of transactions and amount of money received that will flag your account for reporting.
That's correct. Fee-free only works when funds are coming from a bank account. So clearly this is NOT an option for miles/points earning.
Old Jul 11, 2011, 7:55 am

PayPal does not play this game. Do not try it with any large amounts. Your account will be shut down in a heartbeat!!!
Old Jul 11, 2011, 10:28 am

Programs: Several dozen
My evil twin says to buy gift cards. As an AMEX card holder who got religion, I would never say that myself. Nor would I say to investigate buying Best Western Hotel Gift Cards. Cardinal Fang - nobody heard this from me - it was from my evil twin, I swear.

Three cheers for Cardinals Fang, Biggles and Ximénez of The (AMEX) Spanish Inquisition. If being poked with their comfy cushions can't make you repent your evil giftcarding ways, nothing will.

Originally Posted by kilton
Anyone know if one can get points (on the Chase/UA card in this case) by making a credit card payment to someone via Paypal?

I need a few thousand UA miles and it would be much cheaper to make a Paypal "payment" to a friend with the card (and pay Paypal's 2.9% fee) rather than buying them from United at $75/1000.

Thanks!
Old Jul 11, 2011, 11:07 am
Original Poster

Thanks everyone. :-)
Old Jul 11, 2011, 11:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Too many to list
Asked & answered. Thanks, all.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.