Search

"Divorce Court" Awards Husband 257,041 Miles

Search this Thread

Old May 5, 2010, 5:59 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Motel 6 Club Avoir Le Cafard
"Divorce Court" Awards Husband 257,041 Miles

Video

"Divorce Court" TV judge Lynn Toler awarded 257,041 miles to a husband who successfully claimed he had spent his own miles on the couple's travel and should be reimbursed.

She complained that they had traveled the world, but he would always walk ahead of her at tourist destinations.

The judge pooled her 650,808 miles with his 136,736 miles and split the total even-steven.

At the end of the show, the couple had apparently reconciled, were kissing, and were planning their next trip.

Last edited by mbstone; May 5, 2010 at 7:05 pm
Old May 5, 2010, 9:23 pm

Programs: UA Premier Silver, AA, DL, IHG Diamond Amb, Marriott Silver, Hilton Silver, National
Originally Posted by mbstone
"Divorce Court" TV judge Lynn Toler awarded 257,041 miles to a husband who successfully claimed he had spent his own miles on the couple's travel and should be reimbursed....The judge pooled her 650,808 miles with his 136,736 miles and split the total even-steven.
Even-steven?
Her 650,808+his 136,736=787,544
787,544 divided by 2=393,772, not 257,041.
Old May 5, 2010, 9:26 pm

Programs: Delta, American, Qantas, HAL, Starwood,
lol
well it was close to even-steven lol
Old May 5, 2010, 9:29 pm
yad

Programs: CO Plat
Originally Posted by bob12403
Even-steven?
Her 650,808+his 136,736=787,544
787,544 divided by 2=393,772, not 257,041.
257,041+136,736=393,777. Close, anyway.
Old May 5, 2010, 9:30 pm

He was not awarded his own miles, he kept those. He was awarded the total amount of miles divided by two minus his current miles. Small discrepency.
Old May 5, 2010, 10:05 pm

Programs: Too many to list. Status is a half dozen.
And what airline is going to permit this "free" transfer? Obviously depends on the airline's T&C's but most clearly outline who owns the miles (the airline, usually) and what happens in legal disputes.
Old May 5, 2010, 10:33 pm

Originally Posted by ArizonaGuy
And what airline is going to permit this "free" transfer? Obviously depends on the airline's T&C's but most clearly outline who owns the miles (the airline, usually) and what happens in legal disputes.
In real non-tv divorce court, I think the most common result is not really to split all the assets like this. I think what would happen here is the wife would keep all of her miles, but the 257k miles would be given a value (agreed upon by the parties or decided by the judge if they can't agree) and assigned to his part of the ledger. And then there would just be a reconciliation at the end with all similar assets. Whoever came out ahead would likely transfer cash, or, more commonly, retirement assets. That's usually the place where large sums can be moved around and legally transferred to reconcile assets that the parties can't actually split feasibly (like real property or miles, etc.). But it's just a big accounting.

For the tv things, they agree beforehand to take a pot of money from the show, which is then apportioned between them depending on who "won" or "lost." So I would guess everyone just keeps their miles, but off screen the judge or maybe even the producer just gives the lion's share of the prize money to the winner on screen based on how much he or she won.

But besides that, I thought (not sure why I think this) that airlines do in fact honor orders dividing up frequent flier miles in divorces, at least in community property states.
Old May 6, 2010, 5:36 am

When I got divorced, Hilton de-mutualized our account and started a new account for my ex. They moved 150,000 HHonors points to it with no charge. All I had to do was fax a copy of the divorce agreement splitting the points. Miles and points was on my ex's radar as I had just done the Latin Pass million mile run.
Old May 6, 2010, 8:20 am

Programs: UA MM PG, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, IHG Platinum
Thanks for the info. Ever since I saw that opening scene in "Wedding Crashers", I wondered how they could just split up miles in a divorce like that when airlines make it so difficult and expensive to split up miles. Not that it's something I'm planning for, but good info nonetheless.
Old May 6, 2010, 10:15 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by Schutzee
When I got divorced, Hilton de-mutualized our account and started a new account for my ex. They moved 150,000 HHonors points to it with no charge. All I had to do was fax a copy of the divorce agreement splitting the points. Miles and points was on my ex's radar as I had just done the Latin Pass million mile run.
How long until someone on FT suggests getting divorced as a means to combine points from separate accounts and reach a redemption target?
Old May 6, 2010, 10:17 am

Programs: Delta Gold :-( KLM Gold HH Diamond
Originally Posted by GUWonder
How long until someone on FT suggests getting divorced as a means to combine points from separate accounts and reach a redemption target?
Erm, I think you just did:-)
Old May 6, 2010, 11:51 am

Programs: WorldPerks
Very clever, perhaps a faux divorce decree..... <kidding>

I used a lot of my miles for vacations with my ex, never considered going back to calculate as an asset.
Old May 6, 2010, 12:18 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum, Hyatt Plat Hilton Gold, SPG Gold, Club Carl Gold, IHG Plat
Many airlines will also split the account in response to a court order of divorce.
Old May 6, 2010, 2:21 pm

Programs: AA 1MM Gold, AS MVP Gold. Happily ex-1K, ex-Exec Plat, ex-DL Diamond for 5 years each
If you do some legal research into the notion of miles as property, you'll find that 95% of what comes up are divorce (and probate) proceedings.
Old May 6, 2010, 4:36 pm

Programs: PC Platinum Ambassador, Marriott Gold Elite, UA 2P, Starwood Gold, Avis First, Bolt Bus $1 Rider
.... mmmm

something else to add to my prenup agreement

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.