Community
Wiki Posts
Search

25,000 American Airlines Miles via Fidelity

Search this Thread

Old Mar 11, 2010, 1:26 pm

Programs: AA-EXP & 1MM+, AS, MR-LTT, HH Gold
Originally Posted by Middle_Seat
I have purchased mutual funds from Fidelity in the past, but not individual stocks. Do mutual-fund purchases count as a brokerage account?
It does not matter what asset type you buy/sell with Fido, b/c all assets will be parked in an account. This promo refers to a Non-retirement account.
Old Mar 11, 2010, 2:29 pm

Programs: Hyatt, Hilton, Marriott // WN, AA, BA, UA, AS // Avis
As an FYI -

I just received confirmation from Fidelity that my request to be credited with 25,0000 Amex MR points has been approved/processed. (This is even though I opened up the account over a year ago).

Per Fidelity, will post to my Amex MR account in 10-14 days. I'll update and confirm once that happens.
Old Mar 11, 2010, 4:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by rajuabju
As an FYI -

I just received confirmation from Fidelity that my request to be credited with 25,0000 Amex MR points has been approved/processed. (This is even though I opened up the account over a year ago).

Per Fidelity, will post to my Amex MR account in 10-14 days. I'll update and confirm once that happens.
Did you just recently ask for the miles? Or did you use the correct link at signup?
Old Mar 11, 2010, 5:46 pm

Programs: Hyatt, Hilton, Marriott // WN, AA, BA, UA, AS // Avis
Originally Posted by josephstern
Did you just recently ask for the miles? Or did you use the correct link at signup?
Just recently. At the time of signup (last year) I had NO clue about this website, much less the 25,000 point offer.

I called about a week or two ago regarding this and demanded I get the 25,000 points because no one ever offered the deal to me when I signed up, even though I have over $200k with Fidelity. They were more than happy to do so.

As far as I see, this is 25,000 absolutely free points for me I would have never received if not for FT.
Old Mar 12, 2010, 9:25 am

Has anyone who has participated in this deal reduced the amount of money in their account or closed it altogether once the miles were deposited? I'm interested in getting the 15k miles but I dont want to tie up 10k in an account for 6 months. Once those miles post to my account can I drain it down to $10 or so and just keep it there, closing the account altogether in 6 months? Anyone have any experience with this? Thanks
Old Mar 12, 2010, 12:56 pm

Programs: AA,CO,US, and SPG Gold (just like everyone else :P)
Originally Posted by agsoccer32
Has anyone who has participated in this deal reduced the amount of money in their account or closed it altogether once the miles were deposited? I'm interested in getting the 15k miles but I dont want to tie up 10k in an account for 6 months. Once those miles post to my account can I drain it down to $10 or so and just keep it there, closing the account altogether in 6 months? Anyone have any experience with this? Thanks
Mine has been down to 50$ one week after depositing $50,000 and claiming 25,000miles. Will cancel in 2 months. No fees incurred.
Old Mar 14, 2010, 1:10 am

have not seen this asked in this thread...
do they do a hard pull when opening a new account with Fidelity? which bureau?
Old Mar 14, 2010, 11:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by cnsoccer
Mine has been down to 50$ one week after depositing $50,000 and claiming 25,000miles. Will cancel in 2 months. No fees incurred.
So your miles were credited within one week of the deposit?
Old Mar 14, 2010, 11:56 am
nsr

Originally Posted by josephstern
So your miles were credited within one week of the deposit?
It took a week for me as well.
Old Mar 14, 2010, 1:04 pm

Originally Posted by rajuabju
Just recently. At the time of signup (last year) I had NO clue about this website, much less the 25,000 point offer.

I called about a week or two ago regarding this and demanded I get the 25,000 points because no one ever offered the deal to me when I signed up, even though I have over $200k with Fidelity. They were more than happy to do so.

As far as I see, this is 25,000 absolutely free points for me I would have never received if not for FT.
Fidelity is a fairly branded name.

My question, I already have a fidelity trade account, is there anyway I could still take advantage of this?

Last edited by dmitriy1; Aug 4, 2010 at 4:45 pm
Old Mar 14, 2010, 8:48 pm
xp0

So I can do this twice, once for me, and once for my wife. Deposit 50k .... wait until miles post, and then drain account down to like 50$. Might be something I Have to look into. Although, I was trying to stay away from AA/BA .... but seems atm might be the only option for the free miles =/
Old Mar 14, 2010, 10:58 pm

Programs: AAdvantage ExecPlat (LT Plat 2.1 MM),United S, SPG P, Marriott P, Hyatt Diamond *-)-
I deposited 50k late september last year - I've kept all 50k in since depositing - it will be 6 months within 2-3 weeks - if I take out the money, and close out the account now, will they demand re-imbursement for the 25k miles?

Or is it ok to take out (at least 20k) now?
Old Mar 15, 2010, 4:48 am

Programs: Hilton Gold, SPG & IHG Plat, & every airline program that I can join
Same question here. $50K at BankDirect would earn 5000 miles per month, so if the Fidelity deposit could be withdrawn down quickly after posting to AA, it could go right back to BankDirect and only lose less than $5K since it is based on average balance.
The part that worries me it the wording described above from the offer "Your Fidelity account must remain open with the qualifying funding for six months from the date that the qualifying assets are first received in the eligible account." Does that mean the TOTAL amount of the $50K or just keeping the account open? Sounds to me like the whole $50K. If left for the entire 6 months, it would come out to 5K fewer miles than just leaving it in the Bank Direct account (25K vs 30K)

JudyJFLA

I did TDAmeritrade for the SPG bonus a few years ago(thanks PGary) and it posted in 2 chunks. That balance is still there as it is my "I don't want to ever touch it so I don't lose it" knee lawsuit settlement.

Last edited by JudyJFLA; Mar 15, 2010 at 5:04 am
Old Mar 15, 2010, 9:25 am

Originally Posted by Eurosport
No hard pull for me.
Scottrade, did a hardpull.
Old Mar 15, 2010, 1:16 pm

Programs: AA,CO,US, and SPG Gold (just like everyone else :P)
Originally Posted by Eurosport
No hard pull for me either. FYI when I applied through the aa.com link I was not properly registered and had to call in multiple times. If your bonus does not show up in a week call and make sure you are registered.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.