Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > MilesBuzz
Reload this Page >

Delta Suntrust debit card and money orders?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 5, 2009, 10:48 pm
Original Poster

Just throwing an idea out here.

Gary posted a link (https://www.suntrust.com/portal/serv...heck_card/1905) for a Delta Skymiles debit card. Get 15,000 for signing up ($55 annual fee).

Could one deposit coins in this account, and buy money orders with your debit card to get additional Skymiles?
Old Oct 6, 2009, 12:17 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by cardigans1

Gary posted a link (https://www.suntrust.com/portal/serv...heck_card/1905) for a Delta Skymiles debit card. Get 15,000 for signing up ($55 annual fee).

Could one deposit coins in this account, and buy money orders with your debit card to get additional Skymiles?
I had the same thought about Money Orders... Although I have to admit Coins did not enter into my thought process.
Old Oct 6, 2009, 12:26 am

Where would you get money orders from?

Signature-based purchases required
Old Oct 6, 2009, 5:33 am

only available in AL, AR, FL, GA, MD, MS, NC, SC, TN, WV, VA, and DC.
Old Oct 6, 2009, 8:43 am

Programs: SPG Gold, OnePass Gold, OneWorld
Originally Posted by cardigans1

This will NOT work.

From Terms and Conditions: Only signature-based purchases, Internet purchases, phone or mail order purchases or automatic bill payments qualify for mileage earnings.
Old Oct 6, 2009, 10:40 pm

just to make sure, I'm going to try this out in the next few days by purchasing a money order at a local grocery store with my flexperks visa check card. Hopefully payment ca be accepted as a visa purchase and not a check card purchase. will report back.
Old Oct 7, 2009, 2:54 am
formerly known as Frugal Travel Guy

Programs: UA Gold, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Silver, Hyatt Platinum
Of course it will work

If you can find a place that will take the debit card in payment for money orders. I have been using my credit card for years at typicaly small regional chain grocery stores that sell money orders at their service counters. I buy a diet coke and ask for a $500 money order then attempt to pay with my credit card. They say "yes" or they say "no". No harm. No foul.

Most of the times it does not work, but when you find a place that does, you have found a gold mine of miles.

I'll be using the same strategy when my Suntrust debit card arrives, but I hate DL miles so will probably only do the 10K needed to top off the debit card sign up bonus for one domestic ticket.

Sorry, I will not answer PM's about which grocery chains, as every single store is different. Try it for yourself.
Old Oct 7, 2009, 10:01 am

has anyone tried the USPS? I know that they are only *supposed* to permit PIN based debit purchases for money orders, but I wonder if their POS system forces it, or if it is at the discretion of the clerk?
Old Oct 8, 2009, 3:53 pm

I've checked at wal-mart and two different banks so far and no go. but I will try Ingy's idea and hit the grocery stores.
Old Oct 9, 2009, 2:34 pm

"Cash advances, ATM transactions, payments for stored-value cards and purchases made with a PIN do not qualify."

So it doesn't matter if the USPS lets you get money orders with a PIN card or not. No miles.
Old Oct 11, 2009, 11:02 am

Just like with the dollar coins from the mint, the credit card company does not know if I am just buying a lot of stamps/shipping/etc., or buying a money order, so I don't see how that would apply. If the USPS or any other store allows me to buy a money order with my card without a pin (in other words, a signature debit transaction), it would in theory work.

I am going to try the USPS by me this week with another debit card before I apply for the suntrust one.
Old Oct 11, 2009, 7:48 pm

I agree, only if the post office will process it like a charge. If they require a PIN and process it like a debit, then no dice. Please let me know how it works out for you.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.