Community
Wiki Posts
Search

FRA [renovation] News

Search this Thread

Old Apr 28, 2010, 10:57 am
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
Thumbs up Faster boarding at Frankfurt to London Heathrow

All Lufthansa flights from Frankfurt Airport to London Heathrow will now depart from a gate position. This means that passengers will only need to go through one security check before boarding their flight, so saving more time. Flights to London will usually depart from Gate B24 or B27 in Terminal 1 concourse B‑West, close to the Lufthansa First Class and Business lounges. Flights arriving in Frankfurt from London Heathrow will also now park at a gate position.
Lufthansa Newsletter 28.04.2010

But unfortunately not to/from other UK airports.
Old Apr 28, 2010, 11:40 am
hch
Original Poster

Originally Posted by NewbieRunner
Lufthansa Newsletter 28.04.2010

But unfortunately not to/from other UK airports.
I think other UK destinations with mainline equipment will have a higher chance of gate positions now. They're just not willing to announce it broadly.
Old Apr 28, 2010, 12:08 pm
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Originally Posted by hch
I think other UK destinations with mainline equipment will have a higher chance of gate positions now. They're just not willing to announce it broadly.
Thanks for the good news! Any reason for the change? Have more gates in Pier B re-opened following the rebuilding work?
Old Apr 28, 2010, 1:00 pm
hch
Original Poster

Thanks for the good news! Any reason for the change? Have more gates in Pier B re-opened following the rebuilding work?
The construction has moved on to the last part of the Pier B gates (the "inner" gates of the Easter half), and the segregated channel for arriving passengers has been opened, as you already mentioned in the previous press release you quoted.

Now that all "unclean" passengers need to go through security before entering pier there's no need to for the secondary screening toward the UK anymore. Just as in MUC, except that I haven't seen FRA opening an easy channel back from the "clean" non-Schengen area to the Schengen area yet. Last I've been there the infrastructure for the segregation was in place, but not opened yet so I'm still hoping they did this last minute..
Old Apr 28, 2010, 3:04 pm

Originally Posted by hch
Just as in MUC, except that I haven't seen FRA opening an easy channel back from the "clean" non-Schengen area to the Schengen area yet. Last I've been there the infrastructure for the segregation was in place, but not opened yet so I'm still hoping they did this last minute..
In order to enter the "clean" non-Schengen area I thought you had to hold a BP for a non-Schengen destination. Hence the following points in the press release about pax arriving in B from a non-Schengen country:

• Status members travelling on to a Schengen country are requested to use the Schengen lounges in Hall A.
  • For status members arriving on a long-haul flight and terminating their journey in Frankfurt, the Lufthansa Welcome Lounge is available from 05.30 hrs to 12.30 hrs in Arrivals Concourse B.

I arrived from NRT at B22 soon after the segregation of arriving and departing pax started earlier this month but instead of going through security back into the "clean" non-Schengen area I went through passport control and later returned to the "clean" area.

I was going to have another look last week at how the segregation worked on my way back from the US but unfortunately the ash cloud denied me the opportunity.

Just wondering under what circumstances one would use the channel from the "clean" non-Schengen area to the Schengen area.
Old Apr 29, 2010, 5:42 am
hch
Original Poster

Just wondering under what circumstances one would use the channel from the "clean" non-Schengen area to the Schengen area.
Pax from the UK and Ireland are dumped directly into the clean area. At least that's how it works on other airports, I can't see a reason why this wouldn't happen in FRA.
Old Apr 29, 2010, 7:21 am

Originally Posted by hch
Pax from the UK and Ireland are dumped directly into the clean area. At least that's how it works on other airports, I can't see a reason why this wouldn't happen in FRA.
OK, I see. Most departures to LHR in the last couple of days appear to be from a gate position except for an odd departure or two, but most arrivals are still at bus gates despite the announcement. Evening arrivals tend to use a gate position. Let's see what will happen.
Old Jun 23, 2010, 6:35 am

The Lufthansa Business Lounge B-East at Frankfurt is resplendent in its new design

To make your travel experience even more comfortable and to enable us to meet the needs of business travellers and frequent flyers in the best possible way, the Business Lounge at Frankfurt Airport has been comprehensively refurbished. At almost 1,400 square metres in size and decorated in the latest Lufthansa Business Lounge design, the lounge now offers an exclusive atmosphere to frequent flyers. As well as the usual comfort, bistro and work areas, we have for the first time created a JetFriends Lounge for children. Lufthansas young passengers can look forward to a kids corner and playpen, drawing tables, games consoles and a PC with a child-friendly Internet connection. A childrens cinema and comfortable beanbags also ensure that lots of fun can be had before the flight.

Thanks to the refurbishment and extension of both Business Lounges in Departure Area B at Frankfurt, Business Class passengers and Frequent Travellers now have a total of 2,800 square metres of floor space and seating for more than 800 available to them at Gate B24 and Gate B48.
http://www.lufthansa.com/de/en/Loung...Busine#ancAbT0

Let's hope this lounge is actually open unlike the refurbished SEN lounge in MUC.
Old Jun 23, 2010, 7:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by hch
At FRA and ZRH? If yes, I am doing something wrong as twice in the past month I have had to reclear security going into the Schengen zone after arriving from London ON LH/LX.
Old Jun 23, 2010, 8:02 am

Programs: LH, BA, Hilton
Originally Posted by hch
Im not willing to believe it that broadly. I havent had any gate boarding in my 14 flights through FRA-MAN this year.
Old Jun 23, 2010, 8:53 am

Originally Posted by TRAVELSIG
At FRA and ZRH? If yes, I am doing something wrong as twice in the past month I have had to reclear security going into the Schengen zone after arriving from London ON LH/LX.
Ditto for arrivals in ZRH from MAN.

Originally Posted by Circumknowitall
Im not willing to believe it that broadly. I havent had any gate boarding in my 14 flights through FRA-MAN this year.
LH never announced that departures to other UK destinations would be from gate positions. Only occasional flights to the UK (e.g. late evening departures) other than LHR seem to depart from a gate position.
Old Jun 23, 2010, 10:13 am

Programs: LH SEN, Hilton Diamond, AF/KL & BA basic memberships, Tufty Club Exec Plutonium
My FRA-BHX a couple of weeks ago was from a gate position. However, on arrival on the last BHX-FRA I still had to re-clear security to connect to DRS.
Old Jun 23, 2010, 12:01 pm

Programs: LH, BA, Hilton
Ditto for arrivals in ZRH from MAN.

LH never announced that departures to other UK destinations would be from gate positions. Only occasional flights to the UK (e.g. late evening departures) other than LHR seem to depart from a gate position.
I hope this does change, I get the late evening LH4858 a lot and allways end up in a bus.
Old Jun 23, 2010, 2:28 pm

I hope this does change, I get the late evening LH4858 a lot and allways end up in a bus.
According to departure info on lh.com this week:

22 June LH4856 B41, LH4858 B27
23 June LH4856 B27
24 June -
25 June LH4856 B26

All other departures are from bus gates.
Old Jun 25, 2010, 5:44 am
hch
Original Poster

Originally Posted by TRAVELSIG
In Munich they are. In Frankfurt the infrastructure for that is still missing as there is no way to leave the non-Schengen area without going into the unclean area yet. Similarly ZRH is still missing a lot of infrastructure for painless connection, I hope that will be fixed after their central security checkpoint opens.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.