Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Flash strike in Germany on 21MAR13 by ground staff

Search this Thread

Old Mar 20, 2013, 4:16 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources
Original Poster

Programs: LH SEN
Exclamation Flash strike in Germany on 21MAR13 by ground staff

Handelsblatt just went live with the Ver.di announcement:

http://www.handelsblatt.com/unterneh...n/7956622.html

Let the fun begin!

HT:eddmmuc
Old Mar 20, 2013, 4:45 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources
Original Poster

The official line:

Sprachregelung Warnstreik

Aufgrund eines fr morgen angekndigten, flchendeckenden Warnstreiks an den Flughfen Frankfurt, Mnchen, Dsseldorf, Berlin, Hamburg und Kln sowie weiteren Standorten, wird es am Vormittag des 21. Mrz 2013 zu erheblichen Beeintrchtigungen des Flug- und Abfertigungsbetriebes kommen.

Lufthansa streicht angesichts der zu erwartenden Arbeitsniederlegungen zwischen 5 Uhr und 12 Uhr nahezu alle Deutschland- und Europaflge an den vom Warnstreik betroffenen Flughfen. Langstreckenflge an den Flughfen Frankfurt, Mnchen und Dsseldorf sollen nach Mglichkeit durchgefhrt werden. Eine detaillierte Liste mit den gestrichenen Flgen wird voraussichtlich heute am frhen Nachmittag auf www.lufthansa.com verffentlicht werden. Lufthansa empfiehlt daher allen Fluggsten, sich frhzeitig vor Reiseantritt auf www.lufthansa.com ber den Status ihres Fluges zu informieren.

Darber hinaus werden die Fluggste gebeten, am Donnerstag von dem Angebot eines elektronischen Check-in (ber die Online-Kanle oder Automaten) Gebrauch zu machen. Zudem wird Fluggsten, die mit wenig Gepck reisen knnen, empfohlen, sich im Zeitraum des Warnstreiks auf Handgepck zu beschrnken, weil die Abfertigungskapazitten voraussichtlich nur eingeschrnkt zur Verfgung stehen werden.

Lufthansa bedauert Unannehmlichkeiten, die Passagieren durch die Streikmanahmen entstehen, und bemht sich, die Auswirkungen so gering wie mglich zu halten.
So the feeder flights will be cancelled in the a.m., longhaul will try to operate as normal. OLCI and handluggage is advised.
Old Mar 20, 2013, 5:27 am
gum

Programs: LH Blue, BA Blue, Hyatt Gold
Thanks for the info + inofficial translation

Inofficial translation by gum concerning the prescribed terminology of the deterrent strike

Due to an announced, area wide deterrent strike at the airports of Frankfurt/Main, Munich, Dsseldorf, Berlin, Hamburg and Cologne/Bonn as well as at other stations there will be extensive disturbances on March 21st, 2013, regarding the air traffic as well as the check-in procedure.

Lufthansa cancels due to the expected strikes between 5 am and midday nearly all flights within Germany and Europe at all airports which are affected by the deterrent strike. Long-haul flights at the airports of Frankfurt, Munich, and Dsseldorf are planned to operate as far as possible. A detailed list of cancelled flight is estimated to be published today on the early afternoon onlufthansa.com. Therefore Lufthansa advises all passengers to inform themselves about the status of their flights well before commencing the journey.

Additionally all passengers are kindly asked to use the offer of an electronic check-in (through the online channels as well as the C/I kioks). Additionally passengers traveling only with light baggage are asked to limit their baggage during the deterrent strike only to hand baggage due to the fact that the availability of check-in opportunities will be limited.

Lufthansa feels sorry for inconveniences caused for the passengers due to the strike measures and strives to reduce the impacts as minor as possible.

Just as service to the Fellow (english-speaking) FTers. Pse be aware that only the German official version is valid and this is not an official announcement.

Best regards GUM
Old Mar 20, 2013, 6:24 am
Original Poster

An elaborate explanation on what to do (in English) is here:
http://www.lufthansa.com/de/en/Travel-information
Old Mar 20, 2013, 8:19 am
Moderator: Aegean Miles+Bonus

Programs: AFKL Plat, A3 Gold
Will this be limited to Thursday only, or Friday as well? How willing is LH to rebook onto (for example) Air France which operates flights with pretty much the same departure/arrival times?
Old Mar 20, 2013, 9:14 am

Programs: M&M FTL; BAEC Bronze
Lufthansa cancels 500 flights ahead of strike (21.03)

A heads up for those planning to travel.

According to http://www.thelocal.de/national/20130320-48657.html

German airline Lufthansa said ... it will cancel nearly 500 European flights on Thursday during planned warning strikes by ground staff and other divisions within the group.

Due to announced strikes of Lufthansa staff, flights from airports Frankfurt, Munich, Dsseldorf, Berlin, Hamburg and Cologne as well as several other locations will be cancelled on March 21, between 5am and midday, the carrier said on its website.

"While most of the airline's domestic flights would be cancelled, long-haul flights are expected to operate on time," the statement added.
Old Mar 20, 2013, 9:40 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Lufthansa: Senator || IHG: Diamond Royal Ambassador Inner Circle || Plutonium Status
Again a strike .... Sigh .... LH seems to be IB-prone
Anyway good luck to everyone !
Old Mar 20, 2013, 10:04 am
gum

Programs: LH Blue, BA Blue, Hyatt Gold
Originally Posted by Xandrios
Will this be limited to Thursday only, or Friday as well? How willing is LH to rebook onto (for example) Air France which operates flights with pretty much the same departure/arrival times?
Noone can give you an exact forecast. But due to the fact that this is a deterrent strike the following course of events can be *assumed*:

This strike and its damage to passengers, the company and the employees themselves is like a wake-up call. At this early stage of negotiations there is a high probability that the partners return to the negotiating table (on the same day).

After this one time short event of clarifying that the trade union hasnt lost its power or rate of unionization intense negotiations will follow.

Side note: Sorry for any inconvenience caused if my dislike for trade unions is shining through.
Old Mar 20, 2013, 12:40 pm

That explains the cancellation of DUB-FRA tomorrow morning, and my rebooking on BA...
Old Mar 20, 2013, 1:06 pm

Programs: DL Skymiles - Platinum
Is there any info as to what they are striking for? I must be really out of the loop, as this came as a big surprise to me.
Old Mar 20, 2013, 1:31 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Lufthansa: Senator || IHG: Diamond Royal Ambassador Inner Circle || Plutonium Status
According to what i read is that 33.000 employees unified under the Union Verdi demand a raise of 5,2% AND better dismisal/redundancy policy

http://www.luchtvaartnieuws.nl/nl-NL...t_vluchtuitval

Talks to resume on friday.... So maybe Easter traffic could get affected if there is no solution
Old Mar 20, 2013, 2:57 pm

Programs: LH SEN*2
Originally Posted by gum
Side note: Sorry for any inconvenience caused if my dislike for trade unions is shining through.
I have nothing against collective bargaining, it has an upside too (for the company). Especially after the western European trade unions became less infiltrated by the eastern SS's, I have less problems with them and its good to have in a multinational corporate world some counterweight, particularly the US need that very much.

But I find it extremely reckless being the hostage for that. If I am not happy with my pay and don't get a pay rise from our shareholders, I usually have to shut up or quit and not doing a strike in my office. They should find another means...
Old Mar 20, 2013, 3:47 pm

Programs: price is a king
Departed from BLL half a day earlier
Stuck at Frankfurt Hauptbahnhof hotel
Taking train to Munich
Hoping for more luck on Friday morning

thanks ver.di!
Old Mar 20, 2013, 7:22 pm

Programs: QF, HH
My folks are flying FRA-GVA this Saturday morning. But looks like they should be fine, the strike being only scheduled for Thursday?
Old Mar 21, 2013, 3:08 am

Thumbs down worst of all:

FCT closed this morning, " please use FCL at gate A13".
great !

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.