Community
Wiki Posts
Search

LH K fare, any mileage accural for FFP other than M&M?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 7, 2012, 3:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
LH K fare, any mileage accural for FFP other than M&M?

I was hoping the CO UA merger doesn't take place so fast. CO used to credit LH K class 100% mileage accural but now it's gone.

I have checked most other *A but can't find any carrier that credit more miles for LH K than M&M.

Is it true? Or have I missed something?

Thanks in advance!
Old Mar 7, 2012, 4:10 am

Programs: LH HON* || HH Diamond || Accor Gold
Air China still offers 50% on LH K fares
Old Mar 7, 2012, 6:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Aegean offer 50% too.
Old Mar 7, 2012, 12:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
This has been the subject of several threads on other fora (including the UA/CO one) where the LH K fare has gone from mid-tier economy to the very bottom, and since last summer (for UA and AC, this January for CO) earned no mileage. Later in the year, it was removed from upgrade eligibility with UA SWUs. No notice was provided by other programs and a lot of us were left with tickets purchased months earlier that earned no mileage in our regular FF programs. I started a M&M account and did get some mileage (50%) for those flights, but the issue still persists since K is the main class one gets when connecting to an intra-Europe/German LH flight off most STAR carriers on their K fares which still rank well up the economy scale. I have quite a few of these connector flights and they are now earning just 125 M&M miles so it will be a while to build up the account so I can even redeem a small item from the inflight catalog! But better a new leather passport folio next year than nothing. Could even earn Silver status with those flights though!
Old Mar 7, 2012, 5:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

I bought these K class tickets last August when I could see the 100% mileage accural with CO. That's the problem with buying tickets months in advance.
Old Mar 8, 2012, 3:07 am

Programs: OZ*G, QF Gold
Originally Posted by hugolover
Aegean offer 50% too.
I think that was only before July 1st, 2011..?

http://en.aegeanair.com/milesandbonu...les/#LUFTHANSA

Someone correct me if I'm wrong though, because I've got an LH K fare which I was going to credit to SK instead of A3!
Old Mar 8, 2012, 3:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

My bad, you're right, I was thinking about LX!
Old Mar 8, 2012, 11:47 pm

I saw people writing that an upsell to L class (which does earn 100% on UA when it's an intercontinental flight, also post-merger) often does not cost much. Is there any other way to find out how much it would be besides calling LH directly?
Old Mar 10, 2012, 1:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by svellmann
I saw people writing that an upsell to L class (which does earn 100% on UA when it's an intercontinental flight, also post-merger) often does not cost much. Is there any other way to find out how much it would be besides calling LH directly?
I don't think it'll be cheap, my guess will be around 300-500 EUR or so. Also you don't get any better treatments in terms of having booking class L (not even sure that you can upgrade with miles with that booking class).
Old Mar 10, 2012, 2:26 am

I called them earlier today and after a few minutes of checking, she told me I couldn't change it, so I never found out how much it is. (Apart from that, awesome service attitude in the LH HKG callcenter by the way and exceptional English, too!)

It's very simple in this case: of course you get the same seat and not extra benefits and also cannot upgrade with miles, except that L earns 100% miles on United Mileage Plus and K earns 0% (but both earn 50% on LH M&M). So the upsell would get me 5699 additional miles at UA over LH plus they are more valuable and I value them at roughly 2 USD Cents per mile. So if the upsell would have been cheaper than 114 USD, I would've gone for it.
Old Mar 10, 2012, 8:22 am

It's very simple in this case: of course you get the same seat and not extra benefits and also cannot upgrade with miles, except that L earns 100% miles on United Mileage Plus and K earns 0% (but both earn 50% on LH M&M). So the upsell would get me 5699 additional miles at UA over LH plus they are more valuable and I value them at roughly 2 USD Cents per mile. So if the upsell would have been cheaper than 114 USD, I would've gone for it.
Do a dummy booking on the same route and look for the fare difference between what you paid for K and what's available for L and you'll know the cost.
Thing is though, LH doesn't really want you to throw them any more money, and they will charge you a change fee to do that if the fare is changable even. And they do that even if you book on their site, which doesn't allow choosing your fare basis.
Old Mar 11, 2012, 5:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Lack
Do a dummy booking on the same route and look for the fare difference between what you paid for K and what's available for L and you'll know the cost.
Thing is though, LH doesn't really want you to throw them any more money, and they will charge you a change fee to do that if the fare is changable even. And they do that even if you book on their site, which doesn't allow choosing your fare basis.
How could you see the fare and booking class at the same time when you do dummy booking on lh.com?
Old Mar 11, 2012, 8:52 pm

Do a dummy booking on the same route and look for the fare difference between what you paid for K and what's available for L and you'll know the cost. [...] their site, which doesn't allow choosing your fare basis.
Sorry, but this doesn't make any sense then.

Booking class K is very low. The lowest booking class available for my flights on lh.com right now is M for the inbound and W for the outbond. No way of seeing how much L would be. Either way, it doesn't really matter since LH won't let me change it anyway. Thanks for trying to help!

Last edited by svellmann; Mar 11, 2012 at 9:06 pm
Old Mar 12, 2012, 3:32 am

Originally Posted by nacho
How could you see the fare and booking class at the same time when you do dummy booking on lh.com?
You can see the fare code and the fare value on the booking summary.

Sorry, but this doesn't make any sense then.

Booking class K is very low. The lowest booking class available for my flights on lh.com right now is M for the inbound and W for the outbond. No way of seeing how much L would be. Either way, it doesn't really matter since LH won't let me change it anyway. Thanks for trying to help!
I'm sure that your fare isn't a one time deal. Try expanding the search dates.
Old Mar 12, 2012, 8:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

You can see the fare code and the fare value on the booking summary.

I'm sure that your fare isn't a one time deal. Try expanding the search dates.
I also know that (because when I book I always check the booking class) but the problem is that you don't get an overview of what booking class and the price of each booking class.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.