Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, Brussels, LOT and Other Partners | Miles & More
Reload this Page >

LH to cut costs to compete with Budget Airlines [SCORE 2014 discussion]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

LH to cut costs to compete with Budget Airlines [SCORE 2014 discussion]

Search this Thread

Old Feb 16, 2012, 8:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH HON, BA Gold, EK Gold
Originally Posted by TRAVELSIG
Yes, because Italian frequent flyers don't have to be held captive to paying higher prices.
I have an EK Gold card now too ...
The court ordered minimum prices for EK C&F ex Germany are quite amazing.
Old Feb 16, 2012, 8:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Rambuster
I have an EK Gold card now too ...
The court ordered minimum prices for EK C&F ex Germany are quite amazing.
I understand.

It is not a positive commentary that the most loyal LH customers (HON circle members who are flying weekly) are forced to use different airlines. SCORE 2014 may accelerate this migration.
Old Feb 16, 2012, 8:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

SCORE started at LX last Monday as well.
Old Feb 16, 2012, 9:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by denhaagflyer
Yes, they will upgrade their hard product - over the next five years or so.
I consider the hard product the core of what a class of service is- far more essential than soft product. Soft product can be changed on a whim, ripping out seats is quite expensive.

As such, airlines are evolving in such a way that they are prioritizing what their customers will pay for (and very little else ). And the thing that C delivers that Y/Y+ will not is lie-flat. Full stop.

Obviously, I am not comparing LH to UA/DL/AA etc. that's not a resonable comparison in my opinion.
I think it's actually a quite relevant comparison- much of what has eviscerated service levels on USA-based carriers is the same thing that is putting pressure on LH's margins: a competitor capable of undercutting prices. In this case EK is playing the role of WN in longhaul markets, while FR is doing something similar on shorthaul.

The response from USA-based carriers to WN's downward pressure on margins over the past 30 years has been:

- improving the international C/F hard product while shaving corners on the domestic and international soft product
- "enhancing" FF benefits
- "enhancing" services by adding nuisance fees
- more slimline seats, packing more people in the Y cabin, reduced pitch

Does any of this sound familiar to you from your experiences on LH?
Old Feb 16, 2012, 11:43 am

Programs: BA Gold, LH Sen, FB Gold
Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
I consider the hard product the core of what a class of service is- far more essential than soft product. Soft product can be changed on a whim, ripping out seats is quite expensive.

I think it's actually a quite relevant comparison- much of what has eviscerated service levels on USA-based carriers is the same thing that is putting pressure on LH's margins: a competitor capable of undercutting prices. In this case EK is playing the role of WN in longhaul markets, while FR is doing something similar on shorthaul.

The response from USA-based carriers to WN's downward pressure on margins over the past 30 years has been:

- improving the international C/F hard product while shaving corners on the domestic and international soft product
- "enhancing" FF benefits
- "enhancing" services by adding nuisance fees
- more slimline seats, packing more people in the Y cabin, reduced pitch

Does any of this sound familiar to you from your experiences on LH?
Yes, it does indeed sound familar. With one big difference. Us-based airlines have already made enormous progress on the deterioration of the soft product over the past decade and more (calling it "shaving corners" is putting it very politely!) But again, this is not something recent!

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/conti...s-iad-ams.html

Yes, hard product is the first priority, but if I encounter a hostile FA who makes me uncomfortable, I certainly will not fly this airline any time soon if I can avoid it in spite of the great hard product CO has to offer. And I think here LH is still doing pretty good, in terms of cabin staff quality.

The main reason why I would not compare UA/DL/AA etc with European/Asian carriers is that why would anyone pay for their premium cabins anyway as long as for the same price you get better service elsewhere. And that's why they have to fill their premium cabins with upgrades and staff.

One more thing - yes, soft product can be changed on a whim for the worse; building up a reputation for a good soft product is much more difficult. That's why LH is on a slippery road down towards PE, not just on the hard but also the soft product.
Old Feb 16, 2012, 3:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Yes, it does indeed sound familar. With one big difference. Us-based airlines have already made enormous progress on the deterioration of the soft product over the past decade and more (calling it "shaving corners" is putting it very politely!) But again, this is not something recent!

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/conti...s-iad-ams.html

Yes, hard product is the first priority, but if I encounter a hostile FA who makes me uncomfortable, I certainly will not fly this airline any time soon if I can avoid it in spite of the great hard product CO has to offer. And I think here LH is still doing pretty good, in terms of cabin staff quality.

The main reason why I would not compare UA/DL/AA etc with European/Asian carriers is that why would anyone pay for their premium cabins anyway as long as for the same price you get better service elsewhere. And that's why they have to fill their premium cabins with upgrades and staff.

One more thing - yes, soft product can be changed on a whim for the worse; building up a reputation for a good soft product is much more difficult. That's why LH is on a slippery road down towards PE, not just on the hard but also the soft product.
I don't generally encounter hostile FAs and customer service as a USA-based flyer. Of course, I fly a lot of AS and WN- airlines that generally have very positive customer service reputations (confirmed by somewhat objective measures like JD Power and the American Customer Satisfaction Index) and management/employee relationships that are relatively unpoisoned compared to airlines that have been through bankruptcy like UA/CO/AA/US/DL. So my experience is not directly comparable to yours- though my experiences on UA, AA and DL don't generally strike me as particularly negative when it comes to customer-facing roles either. What I find more problematic are the nuisance fees and customer-unfriendly changes propagating through the industry.

My comment, though is that USA-based carriers are decades ahead of being exposed to the profit pressures from LCCs... but if you were to nose around the SQ/CX forums a bit, I think it wouldn't be TOO hard to find places where old-timers would point out places where service was being cut back, and benefits were being "enhanced". I would argue that they're going to feel the impact from AK, EK and the like, just as LH is feeling it from EK and FR.

The problem that I see is that there's a limited customer base for premium air travel, and that customer base depends on having a host of warm bodies filling up the cheap seats in back in order to support the frequencies needed to fly (unless we're talking LCY-JFK- very few airline routes could survive as premium only). LCCs siphon away those warm bodies- while the C/F cabins are where the profit margins come from (and even FR's CEO isn't daft enough to think he could fly across the Atlantic without a C cabin), the Y cabin makes it possible. So the problem EK represents to LH is quite real, and I don't think it's solved merely by showering love and attention on C and F. (It's notable that EK has some outstanding elements in their Y cabin, too...) And I think the thing the USA market has shown is that lots of people are VERY price-sensitive. Perhaps Europe and Asia are different... but given the success we've seen from AK, FR and EK, I have to wonder about that.
Old Feb 19, 2012, 8:38 am

Programs: BA, AA, SQ, UA, AC, WS, MR TIT
Originally Posted by SMK77
At the same time, Willie Walsh (and he is the top executive at IAG/BA) has declared that Business Class in Europe is dead and a past era.
I like the way Easy Jet is renaming business class: BUSINESS SENSE @:-)
Old Mar 9, 2012, 3:15 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
First town hall style discussion with cabin crew:

Code:
Klartext reden zu den aktuellen
Themen und Veränderungen
des Konzerns – das ist Ziel und
Titel der neuen Veranstaltungsreihe
für Purser und Flugbegleiter
von Wolfgang Kolhagen, Leiter
der Frankfurter Kabinencrews,
FRA EK.
Im direkten Dialog zwischen
Top-Management und der Kabine
hatten am 27. und 28. Februar
zunächst die Frankfurter Purser
Gelegenheit, mit Passage-
Airlines-Chef Carsten Spohr,
seinen Passage-Vorstandskollegen
Dr. Roland Busch (Finanze
& Personal) und Kay Kratky
(Frankfurt & Flight Operations)
sowie Wolfgang Kolhagen zu
diskutieren.
Die Vorstände stellten ihre
Sicht der aktuellen Situation
des Konzerns vor, um anschließend
konkrete Anforderungen
an die Kabine zu formulieren.
Kolhagen betonte dabei: „Gerade
heute ist es absolut wichtig,
dass wir alle ein gemeinsames
Verständnis der aktuellen
Lage haben.” Er forderte die
Purser auf: „Lassen Sie mich
an Ihren Ideen teilhaben, um
gemeinsam erste Lösungsansätze
zu formulieren!”
Intensive Diskussion
Das Ergebnisverbesserunsprogramm
SCORE, das Wachstum
in Berlin und die anstehenden
Tarifverhandlungen, genauso
wie aktuelle kabinenspezifische
Themen wurden intensiv diskutiert.
Die Marschrichtung markierte
Spohr mit den drei Eckpunkten
der Passagestrategie:
„Wir müssen mit dem Markt
wachsen, unser Flottenalter
darf nicht weiter steigen und wir
dürfen unsere solide Finanzierung
nicht verlieren.“ Dafür
wurde das Programm SCORE
aufgelegt, das strukturelle Veränderungen
in alle Bereiche
bringen wird, so Spohr weiter.
Passagevorstand Busch appellierte
an die Mitarbeiter: „Angesichts
der Bedingungen des
wirtschaftlichen und politischen
Umfelds, ist es dringend
notwendig, die Kostenstrukturen
der Kabine zu ändern.“ Was
dies konkret für die Kabine bedeute,
machte Kratky deutlich:
„Wir müssen unsere Produktivität
steigern. Alle werden für das
gleiche Geld künftig mehr arbeiten
müssen, so wie es bei
zahlreichen Wettbewerbern
heute schon üblich ist“. Etliche
Purser äußerten ihre Meinungen
dazu. Dabei zeigten sie Bereitschaft,
den Kurs mitzutragen.
Allerdings gab es auch kritische
Töne. So merkte eine Purserin
an, dass einschneidende
Veränderungen nicht nur ein
wirtschaftliches, sondern auch
ein sehr emotionales Thema
seien. „Nur wenn die Kabinenkollegen
emotional mitgehen,
erreichen wir auch weiterhin
die Passagiere.“ Eine Aussage,
die breite Zustimmung fand.
Erste Ideen
Im Anschluss an das Gespräch
mit den Vorständen diskutierte
Kolhagen intensiv mit seiner
Kabine. Die Purser sprachen
über erste Ideen und Ansätze,
um die anstehenden Anforderungen
an die Kabine gemeinsam
zu erfüllen. Dabei bestimmten
die Themen ,Verhältnis
von Leistung und Gehaltsstruktur‘
sowie ,effizientere Zusammenstellung
der Crew‘ den
Dialog. Kolhagen machte an
dieser Stelle deutlich: „Wir
müssen gemeinsam Potenziale
ausmachen, wo wir zum Beispiel
Komplexität im Service
abbauen können und genau
identifizieren, was für den Kunden
wichtig ist.“ Auch in München
gibt es Gelegenheit zum
Dialog. Dort lädt Kabinenleiterin
Heike Birlenbach, MUC EK,
monatlich zu ,Open House‘ ein,
um ihre Mitarbeiter auf dem aktuellen
Stand zu halten.
Old Mar 9, 2012, 6:44 am
Moderator, SkyTeam and Germany

Programs: BA, LH, KL, EY, IHG, Marriott, Hyatt, Hilton, Radisson
With the current earnings figures I can fully understand LH's need to change things to the better. But I question the ways they chose to go.

My background is in a company producing high quality electronics in germany for the european and US market, facing hard competition from eastern european, india and asia companies offering their services and products in europe, too.

Earning enough money is an always ongoing struggle and if you're passive for a year or two you're going under.

However if I look at practically every german company that is profitable in such an environment, their recipe is providing better service and superior products for the higher price they ask. And targeting those customers who are willing to pay a higher price for a better product and service and for a local presence and customer service, if something goes wrong.

How LH is dealing with the task leads into a wholly wrong direction IMO.
- frustrate your loyal frequent fliers with service and m&m programm cutbacks every single year. That's the reliability LH offers to customers nowadays.
- unsettle your customers with scaling down the quality of the eco cabin and the short/medium haul biz product to the level of a LCC airline for the same or higher price that they had to pay beforehand.
- providing service by callcenters abroad and answering to customer issues by auto-reply messages without any meaning.

Why should I pay a lot more (compared to the middle east carriers e.g. or some of the better european competitors for european flights) for a product that is not better (and sometimes worse) than that of the competitor.
LH's m&m program is a shadow of what it was years ago.
If you have a real and immediate problem go and find somebody that can offer you a creative solution - not possible anymore on LH.

So what's left? LH's still good name, a good First product (ground&air) and the extensive route network, especially if you originate in germany. I doubt that this will be enough for being profitable in the long run. Customers do have a choice most of the times...
Old Mar 9, 2012, 7:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ralfkrippner
With the current earnings figures I can fully understand LH's need to change things to the better. But I question the ways they chose to go.

My background is in a company producing high quality electronics in germany for the european and US market, facing hard competition from eastern european, india and asia companies offering their services and products in europe, too.

Earning enough money is an always ongoing struggle and if you're passive for a year or two you're going under.

However if I look at practically every german company that is profitable in such an environment, their recipe is providing better service and superior products for the higher price they ask. And targeting those customers who are willing to pay a higher price for a better product and service and for a local presence and customer service, if something goes wrong.

- frustrate your loyal frequent fliers with service and m&m programm cutbacks every single year. That's the reliability LH offers to customers nowadays.
- unsettle your customers with scaling down the quality of the eco cabin and the short/medium haul biz product to the level of a LCC airline for the same or higher price that they had to pay beforehand.
- providing service by callcenters abroad and answering to customer issues by auto-reply messages without any meaning.

Why should I pay a lot more (compared to the middle east carriers e.g. or some of the better european competitors for european flights) for a product that is not better (and sometimes worse) than that of the competitor.
If you have a real and immediate problem go and find somebody that can offer you a creative solution - not possible anymore on LH.

So what's left? LH's still good name, a good First product (ground&air) and the extensive route network, especially if you originate in germany. I doubt that this will be enough for being profitable in the long run. Customers do have a choice most of the times...
Very well said. My mind still spins every time I land on the lufthansa home page and the first message *same as Google* is Cheap Tickets from 99 EUR.

The strategy of treating the customer badly, providing a worse hard product then EasyJet, and charging the same high prices has forced me to look for alternatives- something that as a loyal customer for more than 20 years I never did before.

Of course we could also mention the elimination of the excellent LHRelate here at FT as another example of staying close to your customers and providing good service.
Old Mar 9, 2012, 12:53 pm

Originally Posted by ralfkrippner

Excellent points.

LH Group is still the most sensible choice for my travel pattern. YMMV, but one can already see -- and feel -- the cumulative effects of decisions affecting ground-service (call center) and FA morale, and thus customer service, by an ever more remote senior management.
Old Mar 19, 2012, 2:55 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Looks like SQ is doing some soul searching of their own:

http://edition.cnn.com/video/#/video...hoon-phong.cnn
Old Mar 19, 2012, 3:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by oliver2002
Looks like SQ is doing some soul searching of their own:

http://edition.cnn.com/video/#/video...hoon-phong.cnn
If you dig back in the archives of the SQ forum a couple of years (or recall the discussion)- the shift in emphasis to only revenue on an exact flight and overall devaluation of the PPS program- resulted in a major shift in many customer purchasing patterns to include a number of carriers whereas prior to the shift the customers were solidly only SQ flyers. Especially the upset Solitaire members etc- they didn't stop flying- and they didn't switch to Jetstar or AirAsia.
Old Apr 20, 2012, 9:04 am

LH Passage lead by Spohr (Antinori's successor) has presented the SCORE plan for their division today: http://www.faz.net/aktuell/wirtschaf...-11724656.html

900 million savings from operations, 300 mio gain from extra sales ()
Old Apr 20, 2012, 9:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH HON, BA Gold, EK Gold
Tomorrow they will announce the merger of Germanwings and LH into a new airline.
All routes from CGN, DUS, TXL, HAM & STR will be operated by them.

Why do I have a feeling that this won't be good for passengers?

Last edited by Rambuster; Apr 20, 2012 at 9:35 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.