Community
Wiki Posts
Search

LH Star Alliance Reward Availability Release vs Miles and More Awards

Search this Thread

Old Nov 24, 2011, 11:33 am
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
Originally Posted by dre_techie
Definitely do FRA-KIX via USAir once! I flew FRA-KIX-FRA early this month and the new F was spectacular. I haven't tried the A380 in F, but I can't imagine it's a better overall experience - maybe the humidity difference. But privacy, having the seat available anytime you want to get out of bed is worth more to me than the wardrobe and a big bathroom.

Now of course I don't know how inconvenient KIX is for you vs. NRT, that might also play a part.
A little bird tells me there's more F award availability for FRA-NRT than FRA-KIX on the particular day which is rather unexpected. In any case I've given up trying to get an award with US DM miles because I've called them twice and neither agent could see F award seats which are found via CO and AC. I also called bmi DC and their response was even less credible. I know I should try again but I only have so much patience (and time).

So now the decision is whether to go for a straightforward M&M award or pay for a Z ticket and try to upgrade with eVouchers. If I can book this award online I might just go ahead and do it but if I include connecting flights F awards suddenly seem to disappear.
Old Nov 24, 2011, 2:19 pm

Programs: LH SEN, SPG Gold, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by NewbieRunner
A little bird tells me there's more F award availability for FRA-NRT than FRA-KIX on the particular day which is rather unexpected. In any case I've given up trying to get an award with US DM miles because I've called them twice and neither agent could see F award seats which are found via CO and AC. I also called bmi DC and their response was even less credible. I know I should try again but I only have so much patience (and time).

So now the decision is whether to go for a straightforward M&M award or pay for a Z ticket and try to upgrade with eVouchers. If I can book this award online I might just go ahead and do it but if I include connecting flights F awards suddenly seem to disappear.
That's terrible if US started to "hide" LH F availability to Asia.

That happens to me with award availability from the hub being there, but not from other cities. This reverse married segments or whatever it is doesn't seem to be a problem when I call.
Old Nov 24, 2011, 4:48 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: QR G, A3 G, EK G, IHG Amb, GHA Black, WOH LT something
i am trying to book two LH F tickets to South America, using DM of courses for 1st quarter of next year. Anyhow, the dates I am looking at, are selling at F8 A7, seatmap empty; yet no award space on ANA,CO, AC, etc!

I pushed a little further tonight and just called M&M and they don't have any avaibility either... The phone rep kept telling me they're sold out, I replied "how can they be sold out if you haven't sold any yet".... In the end i got nowhere!
Old Nov 24, 2011, 4:54 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: QR G, A3 G, EK G, IHG Amb, GHA Black, WOH LT something
Originally Posted by NewbieRunner
NewbieRunner,

I am sure you thought of this but just in case, are you starting your award from FRA or MAN? if from MAN ask them to only look at the avaibility from FRA-NRT or KIX and then add the original feeder flight at the end.

synd
Old Nov 24, 2011, 10:00 pm
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
Originally Posted by dre_techie
That's terrible if US started to "hide" LH F availability to Asia.
I've just returned from a trip to Asia flying LH F with US miles and thought LH F availability to Asia was quite reasonable.

Originally Posted by synd
NewbieRunner,

I am sure you thought of this but just in case, are you starting your award from FRA or MAN? if from MAN ask them to only look at the avaibility from FRA-NRT or KIX and then add the original feeder flight at the end.
The second time I called I didn't even mention MAN. I was given an explanation that US Airways only received a certain number of award seats per flight or some such. I hadn't realised flights between Germany and Japan were so popular among US DM maximisers.
Old Dec 2, 2011, 12:09 am

F award availability on LH for *A partners

Seems like Lufthansa have closed the shop for *A partners. I can't seem to find any availability on common routes where there were plentyful of award seats availabe(ICN and PVG for example), but no longer. Even LX has better availibilty for *A partners now in F. I know they block the Airbus 380 F cabin, but it seems like LH have blocked everything in F for non M&M members.
Old Dec 2, 2011, 2:54 am

Programs: LH, Avis, Hyatt, ...
Originally Posted by William S
Seems like Lufthansa have closed the shop for *A partners. I can't seem to find any availability on common routes where there were plentyful of award seats availabe(ICN and PVG for example), but no longer. Even LX has better availibilty for *A partners now in F. I know they block the Airbus 380 F cabin, but it seems like LH have blocked everything in F for non M&M members.
F awards are heavily reduced for M&M members for flights after March 2012 as well. It is expected that F awards will become mostly available on short notice in the future for everyone.
Old Dec 2, 2011, 8:02 am

Programs: not anymore! I'm FREE!
Originally Posted by SleepOverGreenland
F awards are heavily reduced for M&M members for flights after March 2012 as well. It is expected that F awards will become mostly available on short notice in the future for everyone.
Just curious:
Why is that expected, and by whom? Do you expect this because of the updated F cabin (which will generate increased demand from paying customers)? Or is there some other reason why March 2012 is significant? Is your expectation based on communication from Lufthansa?

Anyway, as far as short-term availability, the odd problems where the continental and united web sites were showing LH F award seats available, whereas the ANA tool was not, seem to have resolved themselves yesterday. Now everything matches (for seats showing available in December), as far as I can tell.
Old Dec 2, 2011, 8:22 am

Programs: LH, Avis, Hyatt, ...
Originally Posted by snic
Just curious:
Why is that expected, and by whom? Do you expect this because of the updated F cabin (which will generate increased demand from paying customers)? Or is there some other reason why March 2012 is significant? Is your expectation based on communication from Lufthansa?
It is MY expectation based on calculating 1 + 1, the current award situation and of course the updated F cabin situation. It was always clear for me that the updated product (which was heavily demanded here) will have it's downsides. One downside was introduced 1/1/11 with the ~20% increased M&M mileage prices for F awards, another one is the reduced availability. All 3-class aircrafts have 8 seats now and LH will probably sell a few more F seats due to the better product. This makes it easy, reduced award availability and later availability at all. M&M HON&SEN can backup their trips with BIZ award bookings and can waitlist F until it becomes available.

To me this all makes perfect sense. So Yes, it was expected.
Old Dec 2, 2011, 10:02 am

Programs: not anymore! I'm FREE!
Fair enough. It does make sense, painful as it will be (especially to those wanting to book awards with *A points).
Old Dec 3, 2011, 1:39 am

Programs: UA1K, LH GM, AA EXP->GM
Originally Posted by SleepOverGreenland
IIRC LH promised that 380 O award (be it redemption or upgrade) will be available for SEN and HON.

Do you happen to know what the status of this promise is? Does 'available' simply mean that the allocation is allowed by the system even though the bucket is always zero or does it mean that LH actually provides some inventory on extremely unpopular F routes?

I am asking because this year - grace to UA's abysmal COization and LH's very good C offers - I flew LH in lieu of UA a fair bit with the terrible 747 replaced by the delicious 380, FRA is better for me than MUC ... but not once did I score an ug into F.

And no, I did not try to use SWUs, I waitlisted them. Several months out but at no avail.
Old Dec 3, 2011, 2:42 am

hope so...

Originally Posted by William S
.....but it seems like LH have blocked everything in F for non M&M members.
now that, for a change, would be an "enhancement" highly appreciated.
^
Old Dec 4, 2011, 11:39 am
Original Poster

Location: YVR - Vancouver, with most winter weekends in Whistler.
Programs: Aeroplan 35K, Alaska MVP, Marriott Titanium / Lifetime Platinum, Hertz President's Circle
Well, I'm glad that the rumor has been confirmed by our flying colleagues!

It means changing the strategy for planning rewards for Star Alliance trips. Better to have realistic expectations than to sit around and be irritated about it!!

Unfortunately it means that those rubber duckies from the FC lounges just got all that much more valuable.
Old Dec 6, 2011, 6:55 am

Programs: Ex-NWA Plat
Originally Posted by oliver2002
ANA has become a bit buggy... the background is that their FFP seems to have blackout dates that even reflect on partner redemptions. In general inventory released by LH to Starnet should should up equally on AC/CO/UA/BD/US etc.

I think the A380 F availability on Starnet is pretty common nowadays. Do you have some examples I could check via Amadeus?
Oliver - could you explain this a bit?
When you say ANA is blocking our partner awards on dates where it, itself, has blackouts - do you have any more to share in this regard? Anecdotes etc.?
Thanks!
Old Dec 6, 2011, 7:29 am

Programs: Former long-time US GP; now AA dirt
Originally Posted by worldtraveller73
Well, I'm glad that the rumor has been confirmed by our flying colleagues!
I read this thread and haven't found any true confirmation, just hearsay.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.