Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, Brussels, LOT and Other Partners | Miles & More
Reload this Page >

Lufthansa Service in Y [merged all you can know about A380 SFO-FRA in Y]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Lufthansa Service in Y [merged all you can know about A380 SFO-FRA in Y]

Search this Thread

Old Apr 20, 2011, 9:56 pm
Original Poster

Smile Lufthansa Service in Y [merged all you can know about A380 SFO-FRA in Y]

I am trying to decide what airline I should take to Israel for a volunteer program and I had a good experience with Lufthansa.

I was wondering how is the A 380 flight from SFO-FRA in Y? I would like to try and fly the A 380 and I have heard mixed results. In Y can one still get the Bailey's Irish Cream, Campari, Riesling Wine and the good German Beer? I had a great selection on my flight in Y back in 07. I had the Kosher meal and it was really good.

Does Lufthansa offer the PTV on all longhaul flights SFO-FRA and FRA-TLV? Also do they offer the hot dinner on the 10:40 PM flight from TLV? This was one of the most memorable experiences after waiting in FRA for 8 hours I was not expecting a hot meal and lo and behold I was presented with a pretty decent Kosher meal and good wine. I could not believe that I could get a Campari or Bailey's in coach I thought it was reserved for the premium cabin. The attendants were nice.

As I will be in Israel for an extended period of time can I book a one way ticket there and a one way ticket back as I am not sure of when I want to return. How much is an open ticket vs one way? I am also thinking to return via Europe so buying a separate TLV-FRA-CDG and CDG-FRA-SFO may work.

Your advice would be most appreciative.

Danke,

Daniel
Old Apr 20, 2011, 10:29 pm
Moderator: Asiana & Qantas Frequent Flyer
Aman Contributor Badge

Programs: QF Lifetime SG, LH HON, OZ Lifetime Diamond +, HH Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
All the wide body Airbuses have PTV in Y, almost all 747s however have not. In general the A380 is nice in Y due to the modern cabin interior, AVOD and noticeable lower noise level than other AC.
Unfortunately I don't know much about alcohol in Y.
In terms of fares, the cheapest LH fare SFo-TLV is $1329++ return and there is no practical oneway fare. So best to buy a ticket which allows date changes for an okayish fare.
Old Apr 21, 2011, 12:27 am

Alcohol is free in Y!
Old Apr 21, 2011, 12:58 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Baileys was available the last time I flew LH longhaul coach (Feb 2010). Dunno about Campari, but they have a decent collection of spirits in mini format. Baileys comes out of a large(r) bottle.

If you are looking for student fares try generation fly: https://generationfly.com/ These fares allow one free change.

http://www.weflyhome.com/ is LH's ethnic travel portal that allows you to pick fares with different rebooking conditions.
Old Apr 21, 2011, 1:05 am

Programs: price is a king
Originally Posted by oliver2002
[...] Dunno about Campari [...]
it was available few months ago - enjoyed it a lot
mfk
Old Apr 21, 2011, 4:33 am
Moderator: Asiana & Qantas Frequent Flyer
Aman Contributor Badge

Programs: QF Lifetime SG, LH HON, OZ Lifetime Diamond +, HH Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by frequen(t)^2raveller
Alcohol is free in Y!
Welcome to FT, frequen(t)^2raveller! Great first post.
Old May 6, 2011, 4:27 pm
Original Poster

Good News

I was able to book a flight from SFO-Tel Aviv via Frankfurt and Brussels on the outbound and Frankfurt on the return.

I will get to try out the new Airbus 380 in Y with their Individual TV monitors. I love the fact that you can charge your IPod Touch while flying this is so cool. It seems like their seats on the A 380 are comfortable.

Then I will fly on their Airbus 320 from FRA-BRU and the Brussels Airlines BRU-TLV on the A 321

On the Return I will be on the Airbus 340 from TLV-FRA and the 747-400 on the return to SFO. I got 54 B which is in the 2 seat row of the 747.

Some questions I had does Lufthansa still offer Baileys, Campari, the good German Beer, Wine(Riesling) etc in Y? I had such good service on Lufthansa back in 2007 that I wanted to try them again. The Kosher meal was really good!

I could never fathom flying United overseas as Lufthansa has better service.

As for Brussels Airlines how is their Kosher Meal from BRU-TLV and their alcohol onboard? Can I get some good Belgium Beer?

Thanks
Old May 6, 2011, 4:39 pm

Programs: BAEC, M&L, Bonvoy
Originally Posted by danielonn
Some questions I had does Lufthansa still offer Baileys, Campari, the good German Beer, Wine(Riesling) etc in Y? I had such good service on Lufthansa back in 2007 that I wanted to try them again. The Kosher meal was really good!
Lufthansa still has free booze in Y. I saw recently Baileys being offered, don't know about Campari, there is better german beer then Warsteiner :-)

Enjoy the flight
Old May 6, 2011, 5:16 pm
Original Poster

Thanks

Danke Volta for the information.
Old May 7, 2011, 12:48 am
Original Poster

SFO Airport Ticket Counter Hours

I booked a Lufthansa Flight leaving SFO at 2:20PM to Frankfurt on a Thursday. I was wondering what is the earliest time that I can check in at SFO so that way I can go up to the United International Lounge using my Priority Pass membership? How are the lines on Thursday late mornings/early afternoons?

Can I check in online and go to a Fast Bag Drop for Y class? How does this work at SFO? I already entered my Passport information to Expedia will this be forwarded to Lufthansa and will it speed up the checkin process?

BTW What are the complimentary House Wines/Beers and Spirits at United International lounge? Is it like the CO Presidents Club iwth Campari, Baileys, Red Wine White Wine, Budwieser Budlight etc?

Thanks
Old May 7, 2011, 2:52 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM, Hertz PC, Marriott Platinum/Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by danielonn
I booked a Lufthansa Flight leaving SFO at 2:20PM to Frankfurt on a Thursday. I was wondering what is the earliest time that I can check in at SFO so that way I can go up to the United International Lounge using my Priority Pass membership? How are the lines on Thursday late mornings/early afternoons?

Can I check in online and go to a Fast Bag Drop for Y class? How does this work at SFO? I already entered my Passport information to Expedia will this be forwarded to Lufthansa and will it speed up the checkin process?

BTW What are the complimentary House Wines/Beers and Spirits at United International lounge? Is it like the CO Presidents Club iwth Campari, Baileys, Red Wine White Wine, Budwieser Budlight etc?

Thanks
I wouldn't be rushing to the United Red Carpet Club (RCC). It's nothing special. The RCC is similar to the PC, overall, though, a step down. https://www.prioritypass.com/lounges/lounge-details.cfm

Last edited by UAPremExecflyer; May 7, 2011 at 2:54 am Reason: Added link from PP.com
Old May 7, 2011, 3:17 am

Programs: LH HON, DL FO/MM, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Accor Lifetime Platinum, Sixt Diamond
Check-In for LH455 to FRA starts at 11:00am.

I would not head to the airport early just for the RCC; as UAPremExecflyer pointed out correctly, the lounge is nothing that special (and only a First Class ticket gets you into the true United International First Class lounge).

The flight from SFO to FRA next Thursday is oversold in Y, so expect LH to be busy at the check-in counter...
Old May 7, 2011, 7:39 pm
Original Poster

Is this a good airfare?

I booked a ticket from San Francisco to Tel Aviv leaving in August and returning in January with the possibility of changing the ticket for an extended time. The airfare I booked was $1730 while other airlines were charging $1,800+.

All the websites were turning prices of around $1800+ and with the state of the gas prices etc. I thought that by booking now would lock in a good rate.

I am flying on a Brussels Airlines Codeshare operated by Lufhtansa from SFO-TLV via BRU and FRA and from TLV-SFO . Every flight except the BRU-TLV is on Lufthansa. On Lufthansa's website it would have cost me more.

I wonder why is it less expensive to book on a codeshare?

It seems as if the airfares won't go down for my dates as I am going to be gone for an extended time. Normally the airfare is $1,100 for a 30 day return.
Old May 8, 2011, 3:50 am

Programs: LH SEN, SPG Gold, HH Diamond
Sure, there's isn't anything significantly cheaper than what you booked for. Slightly cheaper with a 12hr layover in FRA on Aug 18th to Jan 18th, but that fare might not be available on your travel dates.

Anyway, I wouldn't worry about it after booking.
Old May 8, 2011, 12:20 pm
Original Poster

Thanks

Thank you dre_techie for your confirmation of my airfare. I am with you and an not worrying after booking my airfare. I would rather have a 5 hour layover in Brussels as opposed to Frankfurt as I can access the airline lounge with showers and not pay for the showers at FRA.

A bonus is being able to fly on the A380 something British Airways, United, Continental and American can't claim they have lol.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.