Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

Quick MAN MR Turnaround question.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 14, 2007, 9:19 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP; Hyatt Platinum; HH Gold: Marriott; SPG Gold

I've tried the search function, but disn't seem to find a definitive answer, so my appologies in advance if I did not choose the correct word combinations.

I've got a MR on hold DFW-ORD-MAN-ORD-DFW for October. Not a great price, but it's what I could fit in, given time/cost considerations, while attempting to requalify for AA PLT. I've been trying to find out if 3hrs is sufficient for a turnaround at MAN. I realize that ARR/DEP are segregated, and you will have to go through IMM/CUS, but does 3hrs leave enough time for this? Especially with any new security requirements.

I've heard about the zoo at LHR, and was wondering if MAN might be any better. BTW - I did LGW last December, without issue - had 5hrs, could've done it in about 2hrs (if needed). Maybe I was just lucky that day.

Thanks......M.
Old Sep 14, 2007, 9:33 am

Programs: BA Silver
As a frequent user of MAN T3 (which AA use) I'd say you will have no problem at all with your proposed 3 hour layover. If you can check in online before you leave ORD that will help (not sure if this is possible with AA?). With a boarding pass in hand there is no way you can miss the return flight as even if the inbound is delayed it will take 1.5 hours at least to turn the aircraft around giving you enough time to clear formalities and get yourself airside again.

Your only problem would be if you cannot OLCI and there is a delay and you miss the check-in cut off which I think is 1 hour before departure. I'd say with your plan you could afford a 1 hour inbound delay and be comfortable or a 1.5 hour delay and be sweating like a fat man at a disco.
Old Sep 18, 2007, 1:25 pm

Programs: OW/AA, DL, UA; Marriott Titanium
3 hours should be fine. If you have an AAdmirals Club membership, stop in at one of them (DFW and/or ORD) & see if they can print up your return bp. If you dont' have the A/C membership, politely inquire of a gate agent on it. Sometimes they can/will, sometimes they can't.

And just think...the next time you do this, you'll be PLAT, getting twice the miles, enjoying the A/C's & BA Terraces lounge in MAN, etc. etc. etc. Congrats in advance.
Old Sep 19, 2007, 12:46 am

You cannot OLCI for international itineraries on AA. I fly the MAN-ORD route. On the return you may be lucky with weather - fog is a problem in the North West of England in the autumn - but assuming everything's ontime, you have no checked baggage, you should clear immigration and customs and be in T3 arrivals at about 8am. Then it's a two minute trip down the arrivals hall, up the escalator and into the check in chaos that is the BA check in. Push your way through them to the end of the check in desks where you'll find a civilised line for the AA flights - or even an empty J check in which you can use because you are PLT status (not sure if MAN-BOS will be running when you fly over but allow for two planeloads of SLF to be checked in). Allow yourself an hour for check in and security and you should be in T3 departures at approximately 9am leaving perhaps 90 minutes tops for roaming around duty free. Word of warning, make sure if you only have carry on baggage that it conforms to UK sizes:

All items of luggage larger than the permitted cabin baggage size (maximum length 56 cm, width of 45 cm and depth of 25 cm, including wheels, handles and external pockets) must be checked in to be placed in the aircraft hold.
Old Sep 21, 2007, 12:37 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP; Hyatt Platinum; HH Gold: Marriott; SPG Gold
Thanks for all the feedback. Sounds like 3hrs will be fine (weather permitting off-course). Will just have a small backpack (Laptop, Book, Change of Clothes), so no check-in/luggage issues.

Thanks again...Milind.
Old Sep 21, 2007, 12:55 pm

Programs: Airline Free Agent, Fairmont Lifetime Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Honors Diamond
lounges in MAN with showers?

Sorry to hijack this thread but I am doing the same in MAN and I do have quite a bit more time...

Which lounges have shower facilities??
Old Sep 21, 2007, 1:31 pm

Not a lounge, but ...

5 minutes from a revitalizing shower
Just landed, need to freshen up?
The Radisson SAS Hotel Manchester Airport, conveniently located in
Terminal 2 connected to all terminals by the Skylink elevated walkway,
are now offering use of their shower and leisure facilities

Prices
Shower and change facilities £6.50 pp
Leisure facilities, shower and change £12.00 pp

Opening Times:
Mon-Fri from 06:00am
Sat & Sun from 08.00am

Bookable through the Radisson SAS Hotel
Tel: +44 (0) 161 490 5000
Old Sep 22, 2007, 12:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Link to a AA MR Turn question: Manchester
Old Sep 23, 2007, 7:34 am

When I passed through MAN a couple of months ago, the BA lounge still had 2 showers though was in the process of being re-modelled following the sell off of most of their MAN routes to FLY-BE.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.