Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

[FARE GONE] Aa: Sea/atl/dtw/msp/slc/cvg-pap $369

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[FARE GONE] Aa: Sea/atl/dtw/msp/slc/cvg-pap $369

Search this Thread

Old Jun 3, 2017, 5:41 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Marriott Titanium; Globalist
if you need to print out a boarding pass at the PAP check-in area they do have three or four automated kiosks. These are sometimes a bit funky or finicky but an agent will gladly help. This will save time on both the regular and business class lines if you don't have any luggage to check. Things sometimes get backed up at the initial security line but usually early in the morning.

Glad all of you are doing these runs as I go to Haiti 5 or 6 times a year working with a non-profit. It is rather amusing to me seeing all of you on this thread taking advantage of this cheap fare. It is a great place but has a bad rap. I would strongly encourage you to have a pre-arranged ride and not just use someone hanging around at the airport.
Old Jun 3, 2017, 10:54 pm

Programs: AS MVPG 75K, AA PLT, DL GM, SPG GLD, Hyatt GLD, SPG GLD
Originally Posted by RDUflyer2
if you need to print out a boarding pass at the PAP check-in area they do have three or four automated kiosks. These are sometimes a bit funky or finicky but an agent will gladly help. This will save time on both the regular and business class lines if you don't have any luggage to check. Things sometimes get backed up at the initial security line but usually early in the morning.

Glad all of you are doing these runs as I go to Haiti 5 or 6 times a year working with a non-profit. It is rather amusing to me seeing all of you on this thread taking advantage of this cheap fare. It is a great place but has a bad rap. I would strongly encourage you to have a pre-arranged ride and not just use someone hanging around at the airport.
Definitely agreed about the ride. Avoid the guys - who will mob you like the timeshare salesman gauntlet in Puerto Vallarta - on the way out of the airport. Keep RIGHT on your way out the door, to look for your pre-arranged ride.

However, I'm just walking over to Haiti Communitere. (http://haiti.communitere.org) About a mile on Toussaint L'Overture past the, uhm, piles of burning garbage... Anyway, cheap rooms, a good cause, and all my peeps in one place. What a double-bonus this has turned into for me! (I also speak French, so I'm way more inclined to do it this way. I suspect they would be happy to pick you up if you asked). I'm also going to advocate for Lakay Poze for quick overnights, since they will happily pick you up from PAP (and are also a good cause): https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/13192795

=> Both on AirBNB, btw.

Last edited by brizone; Jun 4, 2017 at 6:43 am
Old Jun 4, 2017, 12:40 pm

Well, I am on the flight bound for PAP-JFK now, one hour same day return is totally doable!!!

And it does have 3 Kiosks on the side of AA check-in area, I did t use them this time due to I got my BP at AA JFK Lounge.

JFK-PAP AA provided free inflight WiFi, I was surprised, but PAP-JFK is $4.99

At the airport, there is free wifi at AA waiting zone & cafeteria zone(2F&3F) SSID is "Digicel WiFi Zone", not sure from which shop, eassily to connected to while enter there, actually even at AA waiting zone, still have signal to connect with, the signal get as stronger as more close to the gate side.

Thank you all for this MR info and tips, especially to Single_Flyer.
Wish you all good luck!

Last edited by twnemotw; Jun 4, 2017 at 12:55 pm
Old Jun 4, 2017, 1:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
Originally Posted by brizone
Definitely agreed about the ride. Avoid the guys - who will mob you like the timeshare salesman gauntlet in Puerto Vallarta - on the way out of the airport. Keep RIGHT on your way out the door, to look for your pre-arranged ride.

However, I'm just walking over to Haiti Communitere. (http://haiti.communitere.org) About a mile on Toussaint L'Overture past the, uhm, piles of burning garbage... Anyway, cheap rooms, a good cause, and all my peeps in one place. What a double-bonus this has turned into for me! (I also speak French, so I'm way more inclined to do it this way. I suspect they would be happy to pick you up if you asked). I'm also going to advocate for Lakay Poze for quick overnights, since they will happily pick you up from PAP (and are also a good cause): https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/13192795

=> Both on AirBNB, btw.
This fare is definitely about giving. We are supporting the local community and helping AA fill empty seats...
Old Jun 4, 2017, 3:36 pm

Programs: TINDER GOLD, STARBUCKS GOLD, COSTCO EXECUTIVE!!
Originally Posted by nk15
This fare is definitely about giving. We are supporting the local community and helping AA fill empty seats...
I wouldn't be so sure about those transcon F/J cabins being "empty seats"

But I'm fine with it being a matter of taking from the rich (AA, their shareholders, Doug Parker's compensation package) and giving to the poor (my mileage account, FT, Haiti's tourism sector)
Old Jun 4, 2017, 3:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
Originally Posted by keitherson
I wouldn't be so sure about those transcon F/J cabins being "empty seats"

But I'm fine with it being a matter of taking from the rich (AA, their shareholders, Doug Parker's compensation package) and giving to the poor (my mileage account, FT, Haiti's tourism sector)
Even for AA a lot of these J/F seats would have been freebie upgrades to elites anyway, so we are bringing new revenue...
Old Jun 4, 2017, 9:30 pm

Programs: DL GM
Originally Posted by twnemotw
Well, I am on the flight bound for PAP-JFK now, one hour same day return is totally doable!!!

And it does have 3 Kiosks on the side of AA check-in area, I did t use them this time due to I got my BP at AA JFK Lounge.

At the airport, there is free wifi at AA waiting zone & cafeteria zone(2F&3F) SSID is "Digicel WiFi Zone", not sure from which shop, eassily to connected to while enter there, actually even at AA waiting zone, still have signal to connect with, the signal get as stronger as more close to the gate side.

Wish you all good luck!
Thank you for the datapoint! ^
Old Jun 7, 2017, 11:51 am

Programs: AS 100K
Originally Posted by RDUflyer2

What would you recommend for sight seeing? I booked this fare with a two night stay in PAP.

From what i've gathered is that Haiti has some nice sightseeing spots. But it seems most, if not all, are not in the PAP city limits. (ie the Citedelle, Sans Souci Palace, Bassin Blue, etc).

Are day trips possible to see any of these spots?
Old Jun 7, 2017, 12:39 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Marriott Titanium; Globalist
Originally Posted by atcanobbio
What would you recommend for sight seeing? I booked this fare with a two night stay in PAP.

From what i've gathered is that Haiti has some nice sightseeing spots. But it seems most, if not all, are not in the PAP city limits. (ie the Citedelle, Sans Souci Palace, Bassin Blue, etc).

Are day trips possible to see any of these spots?
Yes unfortunately the Citedelle and Sans Souci are up north and it isn't practical to do this in a day.

Around Port-au-Prince here are some things to do:
- informative (and cool temperature) Haitian national history museum downtown (admission for foreigners is about $5)
- Hotel Olafson is a neat place for lunch or dinner out on the veranda. have them show you some of the rooms (tip the person a couple of dollars)
- up above Petionville which is the wealthier suburb there is a scenic lookout with a small cafe
-also in Petionville are a couple of nice art galleries -- distinctive Haitian art which has gained an international reputation over the last 10 years or so
- there are also nice restaurants up in Petionville that are equal to good European restaurants (there is a chain of cafes/bakeries called Epi D'Or that is inexpensive but good)
- for Haitian metal art works go to Croix du Bouquet which is 30 to 60 minutes outside of PAP depending on traffic. pretty interesting what they do with oil drums and metal even if you don't buy anything, good gifts at reasonable prices and they do bargain

Bassin Bleu you could do in a long day by car as it is to the south over the mountains to Jacmel. Jacmel is a great place to visit for crafts and art stuff. they have some really neat paper mache figures that are amazing.

hope this gives you some other ideas.

Last edited by RDUflyer2; Jun 7, 2017 at 12:44 pm Reason: added item
Old Jun 10, 2017, 12:00 am

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold, Delta Gold Medallion, HH Gold
Originally Posted by twnemotw

Wish you all good luck!
Thanks for the update! My boyfriend and I are doing SEA-MIA-PAP-MIA-SEA tomorrow and I was starting to get worried about customs. Thanks again for the follow-up. Cheers!
Old Jun 14, 2017, 10:17 am

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold, Delta Gold Medallion, HH Gold
Just came back from the MR this past weekend. We had the 55-minute turnaround from once we landed in PAP from MIA.

Our flight arrived early (12:30 PM instead of 1 PM) and thank goodness, because we would've missed our flight back to MIA without that extra time. Immigration was quick, but the initial security checkpoint took forever. Lots of people heading out around that time.

We made it back to our seats with about 15 mins to spare... they closed the boarding door at 1:34 PM.

I won't do such a quick turnaround again when customs is a requirement.

Back home with 17k elite miles credited to my AS account though!
Old Jun 15, 2017, 12:00 pm

Programs: AS MVPG 75K, AA PLT, DL GM, SPG GLD, Hyatt GLD, SPG GLD
Originally Posted by misskris816
Back home with 17k elite miles credited to my AS account though!
^^^
Old Jul 3, 2017, 8:22 pm

Programs: DL GM
Check your schedules if you booked this for October.

Called to adjust my itinerary requiring 3 separate calls because the first two agents messed up and one told me I need to check with the Haitian government on the same-day turn, while originally refusing to put me on the same day turn even though my original ticket had it.

Last edited by idiosyncrasy; Jul 3, 2017 at 10:47 pm
Old Jul 4, 2017, 12:14 am

FYI. I did a same day turn around yesterday at PAP. I purchased the $10 visitor visa but was told on my way out (where you turn in your visa) that if doing the same day turn (ie if you are in transit) you don't need to pay the $10 fee. I'm guessing that may be a YMMV and probably not worth the risk for $10.
Old Jul 5, 2017, 1:46 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by idiosyncrasy
Check your schedules if you booked this for October.

Called to adjust my itinerary requiring 3 separate calls because the first two agents messed up and one told me I need to check with the Haitian government on the same-day turn, while originally refusing to put me on the same day turn even though my original ticket had it.
Sounds like you have called AA multiple times, thanks for calling and putting everyone's tickets at risk for being canceled. This is a great deal and one rogue agent could have all of the remaining reservations canceled as the airlines have been doing as of late. Remember the golden rule of FT is to NEVER call.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.