Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

[FARE GONE]jl/aa: Jfk/lax/sfo/ord/bos/san/dfw-nrt-sin $328

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[FARE GONE]jl/aa: Jfk/lax/sfo/ord/bos/san/dfw-nrt-sin $328

Search this Thread

Old Apr 7, 2017, 5:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler (lite). NY Metro area.
Originally Posted by mster
Earns 30% on AS = 6041 EQM per RT. Great fare, terrible for partner EQM.
I still think 30% earning on Alaska is better than 50% on AA.
The miles with Alaska are more valuable (to me). YMMV. Yes. I did the math.

I'm flying out of JFK in November, and will sacrifice some AA for Alaska.

Booked on Expedia around 11:45 eastern time. Cost $343 R/t.

Here's what we should be talking about... where are you going once you get to SIN?

dh
Old Apr 7, 2017, 6:47 pm

Originally Posted by dhammer53
I still think 30% earning on Alaska is better than 50% on AA.
The miles with Alaska are more valuable (to me). YMMV. Yes. I did the math.

I'm flying out of JFK in November, and will sacrifice some AA for Alaska.

Booked on Expedia around 11:45 eastern time. Cost $343 R/t.

Here's what we should be talking about... where are you going once you get to SIN?

dh
DPS (Bali). Managed to get dates that align with some time off from work. Even though R/T from SIN to DPS - is in the ~$150 range, getting there from NYC at that price (all in) is pretty damn good.

My only regret is not getting some AA metal so I could choose seats. I'm assuming there's no way for me to select seats in JAL economy, is there?
Old Apr 7, 2017, 7:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ccohen322
My only regret is not getting some AA metal so I could choose seats. I'm assuming there's no way for me to select seats in JAL economy, is there?
While not having seat assignments is annoying, I figure you still have to be better off on JAL without seats than AA with seats! From everything I've read, JAL's economy class is vastly superior.

I was going to ask someone whether oneworld elite status got you JAL seats. Otherwise, it appears that they open the seating window at 72 hours. Is that correct? If so, you just have to stay on it. I've had great luck with many foreign carriers that don't give free seat assignments checking in at the exact time they open up seats. Apparently, foreign pax aren't as competitive as, say, WN pax (where seconds can count!).

I do wonder how JAL opens the seating window at 72 hours for USA flights, since our laws seem to only allow checkin at 24-hours. Are there 2 different processes?
Old Apr 7, 2017, 8:14 pm
jix

Programs: Marriott Gold, JGC, IHG Platinum, Hilton Gold, AC 25K
Originally Posted by iahphx
The mistake was not adding YQ..
There is YQ of 12.8 added. JL charges another $43 per sector between US-Japan but I don't know if this fare is supposed to have it or it's for direct flights only, since it's a connection and the non discounted fare to SIN right now at 1k+ also show the same YQ of 12.8. It's really just the base fare of $100 per way that made it cheap.

Last edited by jix; Apr 7, 2017 at 8:23 pm
Old Apr 7, 2017, 9:32 pm

Originally Posted by jix
There is YQ of 12.8 added. JL charges another $43 per sector between US-Japan but I don't know if this fare is supposed to have it or it's for direct flights only, since it's a connection and the non discounted fare to SIN right now at 1k+ also show the same YQ of 12.8. It's really just the base fare of $100 per way that made it cheap.
+1 - JAL published a very competitive restricted economy fare. Even the east cost to asia at ~$400 is pretty common these days.

Transatlantic segments from JFK/BOS to NRT/HND (or HKG/ICN/DEL/PVG/BOM/TPE/CAN on other carriers) are fantastic for anyone on the east coast though ^ Heck, from SFO / SAN / DFW this was a pretty meh fare.
Old Apr 7, 2017, 9:48 pm

My flight booked through travelocity says "This flight is fully refunded to the original form of payment if cancelled by 11:59 PM PDT on Apr 10, 2017."... that's way longer than 24 hours. That can't be right can it?
Old Apr 7, 2017, 9:57 pm
formerly known as Tad's Broiled Steaks
Shangri-La Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by kyunbit
Still trying to decide if its worth it. ~$400 fares to SE Asia is often available from West Coast. Does not seem like a mistake fare pricing; but without the YQ, may be cancelled.
With Chinese carriers?
Old Apr 7, 2017, 9:58 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, Marriot Plat, SPG Plat, AS MVP 75k Gold, Wyndham Diamon, Caesar's Diamond,
Originally Posted by iahphx
While not having seat assignments is annoying, I figure you still have to be better off on JAL without seats than AA with seats! From everything I've read, JAL's economy class is vastly superior.

I was going to ask someone whether oneworld elite status got you JAL seats. Otherwise, it appears that they open the seating window at 72 hours. Is that correct? If so, you just have to stay on it. I've had great luck with many foreign carriers that don't give free seat assignments checking in at the exact time they open up seats. Apparently, foreign pax aren't as competitive as, say, WN pax (where seconds can count!).

I do wonder how JAL opens the seating window at 72 hours for USA flights, since our laws seem to only allow checkin at 24-hours. Are there 2 different processes?
Every JAL Flight I was on I got upgraded to PE at no charge. I was OW Sapphire/AA Plat. I"m not EXP so who knows.
Old Apr 7, 2017, 10:08 pm

Originally Posted by mdd100
Every JAL Flight I was on I got upgraded to PE at no charge. I was OW Sapphire/AA Plat. I"m not EXP so who knows.
Huh. I've flown lots of JAL and never been upgraded as OW Emerald... How / when did you find out you'd been upgraded? What routes?
Old Apr 7, 2017, 10:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
My flight booked through travelocity says "This flight is fully refunded to the original form of payment if cancelled by 11:59 PM PDT on Apr 10, 2017."... that's way longer than 24 hours. That can't be right can it?
I think the expedia group doesn't count the weekend, so if you book Friday you can cancel until Monday night. This is true at least for expedia.
Old Apr 7, 2017, 10:26 pm

Programs: AC50K, OZ*G
Originally Posted by nk15
I think the expedia group doesn't count the weekend, so if you book Friday you can cancel until Monday night. This is true at least for expedia.
Here is a new data point. Expedia doesn't even't have the option to cancel online anymore. Only offers to sell me cancellation insurance...
Old Apr 7, 2017, 10:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
Originally Posted by eugeneo1
Here is a new data point. Expedia doesn't even't have the option to cancel online anymore. Only offers to sell me cancellation insurance...
I think one of them at least still has it, I think Orbitz did the other day.
Old Apr 8, 2017, 2:50 am

Originally Posted by BuildingMyBento
With Chinese carriers?
yeah, or Malaysia/Philippines airlines (sub$500 east coast-asia)

Or united

Obviously jal is miles better than any of those choices
Old Apr 8, 2017, 4:14 am

Originally Posted by eugeneo1
Mine's still there. Look harder?
Old Apr 8, 2017, 9:59 am
wmz
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVP, Marriott Lifetime Plat, Hilton Diamond, Wyndham Diamond
Mine's still there. Look harder?
I cancelled 2 Expedia tickets via Twitter messaging, and it was pretty quick / painless.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.