Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

When, and what was the first mileage run you ever did?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

When, and what was the first mileage run you ever did?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 6, 2017, 5:54 pm
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
My first and the only true mileage run was Lufthansa Private Jet promotion in 2010. Any cross-border return flights earned 105k M&M award and status miles for 1863 Euro. I flew VIE-BTS-VIE (distance of 30 miles ), VIE-BUD-VIE, ZRH-KLU-ZRH and ZRH-MUC-ZRH over two weekends and collected 420k miles. Added to the miles I already had it was enough for HON Circle (M&M's highest) status which came with upgrade vouchers for 3 longhaul flights, access to LH's First Class Lounge/Terminal in FRA and MUC and other perks for 2.5 years.

Here are threads in the LH forum about the promo including reports by FTers who took part.
Its May 1..anyone start the LHPJ mileage run?
Finished the HON LHPJ run.. an AMAZING experiece
Old Apr 7, 2017, 3:25 am

Originally Posted by Far Siren
Is this a joke? Last time I flew CX First there were favorable tailwinds and the flight time was 1 hour shorter than usual. I cried.
you might like this thread that celebrates delays and consumption of 8 bottles of Dom

8 bottles of Dom from LAX-BKK on SQ in F
Old Apr 7, 2017, 3:24 pm

Programs: AA: EXP / AS:MVP75k / Hilton: Gold / Marriott Gold
My first was October 2015 to Barbados. I received an AA EXP promotion for 25,000 EQM so I took 2 J flights to BGI and POS within a month.

Total cost was about $1,600 for the 8 SWUs.
Old Apr 7, 2017, 7:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
Originally Posted by Far Siren
Is this a joke? Last time I flew CX First there were favorable tailwinds and the flight time was 1 hour shorter than usual. I cried.
I agree, every time I fly TPAC in J or F, typically between 13-16 hours, time flies so fast I feel I didn't have enough time to do all the things I wanted to do, like, eat, sleep, watch movies, surf the internet, etc., I feel the flights are too short, lol....

On the contrary, I don't think I will be able to do TPAC in coach, I think I will go crazy. Now if I had a empty three-seater in Y, that's different, but that's a huge gamble.
Old Apr 7, 2017, 8:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

We also need a reminiscence thread what was your first DoD complaint about, lol...
Old Apr 7, 2017, 9:55 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, Marriot Plat, SPG Plat, AS MVP 75k Gold, Wyndham Diamon, Caesar's Diamond,
2016 ORD-LGA-DFW-NRT-CGK-NRT-DFW-LGA-MIA-TPA. Flew a different airline home.
Two weeks later I did: ORD-LGA-DFW-LAX-HKG-CGK-NRT-DFW-LGA-DFW-NRT-CGK-NRT-DFW-LGA-ORD 73k miles in one month. 2/3 in one week.
Old Apr 8, 2017, 9:03 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat HH Diamond
Mine was the one way CO or UA (can't remember which one published it) from EWR-SEA with pretty much unlimited stops. Think I did EWR-IAH-HNL-ORD-OGG-SFO-DEN-IAH-SEA. All under 300 USD. Was a 1K at the time, upgraded each leg except the IAH-HNL.
Old Apr 9, 2017, 12:56 pm

Programs: IHG Spire, CA Gold
MEX-LIM-SCL-IPC in 2013

Bug Fare
Old Apr 12, 2017, 7:57 am

Programs: Delta DM, SPG Ambassador Platinum
Don't know if my segment run counts, but two years back flew BOS-JFK-PHL-DTW-BOS to barely keep Diamond
Old Apr 14, 2017, 9:36 pm

Location: Bangkok, Thailand. No longer Palm Coast, FL though still exiled, again, from the Bay Area.
Programs: Only the good ones
Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
1982-ish. TWA had a promo where if you flew 5 segments and 5,000 miles, you earned a domestic RT First class ticket. Yes, you read it correctly. I figured out that SAN-LAX-STL-JFK-STL-SAN came in at 5,043 miles. We talked friends into coming with us and had an awesome weekend in NYC. We used our free tickets for Hawaii and they used theirs for Alaska.
So, you're the winner- mine was 1984 TW SFO-ORD for some 3x or similar promo. TW's awards were the best-30k for a free FC and a FC UPG to Europe.
Old Apr 15, 2017, 1:51 am

Programs: Former DL DM and UA 1k, now a J class free agent (UA Gold, AS MVP Gold)
Depends on your definition of mileage run.

If you define a mileage run as an immediate turn (no time at destination), I've never done it.

I don't agree with that definition. If you define a mileage run as a trip that the only reason you booked it was for the miles (my preferred definiton), I have taken one.

October 2001 - Post 9/11 there was lots of bonus miles on offer. I booked UA SEA-LAX-NRT-SIN/SIN-NRT-SEA for my wife and I with 3 days in Singapore. Between the bonus for being a 1P and the bonus miles offered, It was a 5x mileage multiply, resulting in earnings of over 80k miles (enough for a free business class ticket to Europe). Had never been to Singapore (or anywhere in Asia for that matter) and didn't really have a reason for going there, but 5x miles was too good to pass up. Did this despite the fact that about 10 days later that month I already had a vacation booked: SEA-NRT/NRT-PEK/PEK-NRT-SEA.

Airfrare was roughly $550 round trip per ticket, if I recall correctly.

My SEA-LAX flight was oversold by almost 50. They were desperate for volunteers. I knew that there were lots of seats available on the UA SEA-NRT flight later that day that got to NRT at the same time as LAX-NRT (thus allowing us to make our onward connection to SIN). Got $600 each in vouchers and rebooked onto SEA-NRT-SIN.

When we arrived in SIN, we had no luggage (as it was sitting in LAX). So we got an allowance to go clothes shopping.

Requested and received original routing credit for SEA-LAX-NRT-SIN instead of SEA-NRT-SIN, so in the end we did quite well for our $550 tickets:

600 in vouchers each
80k+ miles each
free new clothes

I did book an immediate turn mileage run for my wife in 2002 to help her retain her 1P status: SEA-GEG-SEA.

Only subsequent thing I've done that is close to a mileage run is in 2005 I needed to fly NRT-FCO. All Logical routings were about the same cost as doing the following: NRT-JFK-LHR-FRA-FCO/FCO-FRA-ORD-NRT. We flew that much longer routing and upgraded all the longhaul legs using UA SWUs.
Old Apr 15, 2017, 8:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

My first and only true MR with immediate turn was ORD-MSP-DEN 4 years ago on DL to renew Gold, lol... Other than this lots of short mini-trips for sightseeing and miles/status, but never a true MR with immediate turns.
Old Apr 18, 2017, 12:23 am

Programs: UA, AA, Marriott, National, Sixt
My first was 2010! I flew PIT-YYZ-ZRH-YYZ-PIT. Flew out Saturday and was back home on Sunday. On the way back, flight was half empty so I had the entire middle row in Y where I slept. Total fare paid was $354
Old Apr 18, 2017, 4:13 am

This weekend, I spent just over $600 SGD for SIN-KUL-BKK-MEL and back. Landed around lunch, walked around Melbourne, had a nice dinner, went back to airport and headed off for my return. I do a lot less flying nowadays, so I had a free weekend and made sure I will get *G for 2018 now.
Old Apr 18, 2017, 4:14 am

This weekend, I spent just over $600 SGD for SIN-KUL-BKK-MEL and back. Landed around lunch, walked around Melbourne, had a nice dinner, went back to airport and headed off for my return. I do a lot less flying nowadays, so I had a free weekend and made sure I will get *G for 2018 now.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.